Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cracker Barrel: Not Friendly to Open Carriers? (Per VCDL)

Founder's Club Member

Cracker Barrel: Not Friendly to Open Carriers? (Per VCDL)

I just saw this tidbit from the VCDL regarding a leaked Cracker Barrel policy that may be enforced against open carriers:

"I received a copy of a Cracker Barrel internal policy memo from a source who will remain anonymous. The nutshell is that if a store manager wishes to he can enforce a company policy against open carry, asking the open carrier to return his gun to his vehicle, while saying (according to the memo), "We're making this request in order to accommodate our guests and employees who may be uncomfortable in the present of a fire arm (sic)." I think they should ask the guests who are uncomfortable with someone else exercising their Second Amendment rights to leave, not the gun owner who is minding his own business! I'm sick and tired of all this faux concern about somebody being *uncomfortable* about this, that or the other. If a person is uncomfortable about someone else's skin color or religious dress, should the "offender" be asked to leave? I hope not. Anyway concealed carry is not at issue for Cracker Barrel, only open carry. Just an FYI."

I've never had an issue with OCing in Cracker Barrel and can't recall anyone here having such an issue. Am I missing something? I know Bob Evans has no issue with OC or CC from e-mails I've seen from their corporate office to other folks. Have any of you had issues with Cracker Barrel?

No problem. I OC'ed there a few weeks ago. No problem.

These are great lines to use!

" I think they should ask the guests who are uncomfortable with someone else exercising their Second Amendment rights to leave, not the gun owner who is minding his own business! I'm sick and tired of all this faux concern about somebody being *uncomfortable* about this, that or the other. If a person is uncomfortable about someone else's skin color or religious dress, should the "offender" be asked to leave? I hope not. "
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 03-14-2011 at 04:10 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    That may be policy but we eat at several different Cracker Barrels and often have the Saturday breakfast at one.
    I've never had any problems at all.

I really wish VCDL would drop the cloak and dagger sh*^ and give a little more information. I'm sure the confidential source knows what prompted this.

The Tidewater dinner group has been to a couple different Cracker Barrels over the years with nary a peep from management. Its hard to miss 10-15 people carrying pistols on ther belts, so I have to conclude that the individual managers are cool with it.

Pleasing People® is so central to what we value, it’s our company mission statement. That’s it – Pleasing People®. Nothing more. Nothing less.

At Cracker Barrel, our first interest is to make sure that everyone who walks in our front door gets a warm welcome.

http://www.crackerbarrel.com/about-o...cfm?doc_id=674

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanger View Post
    Pleasing People® is so central to what we value, it’s our company mission statement. That’s it – Pleasing People®. Nothing more. Nothing less.

At Cracker Barrel, our first interest is to make sure that everyone who walks in our front door gets a warm welcome.

http://www.crackerbarrel.com/about-o...cfm?doc_id=674
    I wonder, if you could sue if you get asked to leave, because their policy.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?

Founder's Club Member
    As I indicated I've never had an issue OCing in Cracker Barrels in Arizona or Virginia. I'd be tempted to write to note my displeasure, but I think I'd prefer to keep going back and have them realize that my wife and I are fairly friendly folks who mean no harm to anyone (except attackers perhaps) and only wish to go about our days in peace. We only ask for the same accomodation.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    I have never had a problem at Manassas
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    I wonder, if you could sue if you get asked to leave, because their policy.
    You're not serious are you?

No problems ever at the Cracker Barrels in Newport News, Waynesboro, and Harrisonburg.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    You're not serious are you?
    "Pleasing People® is so central to what we value, it’s our company mission statement. That’s it – Pleasing People®. Nothing more. Nothing less. Since the very first Cracker Barrel location opened back in 1969 in Lebanon, Tennessee, we’ve kept things pretty simple. At Cracker Barrel, Pleasing People® is all about mutual respect."

Isn't it discrimination?

"Pleasing People® is so central to what we value, it’s our company mission statement. That’s it – Pleasing People®. Nothing more. Nothing less. Since the very first Cracker Barrel location opened back in 1969 in Lebanon, Tennessee, we’ve kept things pretty simple. At Cracker Barrel, Pleasing People® is all about mutual respect."

Isn't it discrimination?
    Gun owners are not one of the protected classes
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Someone should ask their policy on allowing people of color or of a religious group because they may make others uncomfortable.

"Excuse me, Mr. Manager those people over there make me very uncomfortable, they may be terrorists and could be dangerous." "Could you ask them to leave please?"

"Excuse me, Mr. Manager those people over there with their constitutionally protected firearms make me very uncomfortable, those guns could be dangerous." "Could you ask them to leave please?"
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Isn't it discrimination?
    It's called PRIVATE PROPERTY
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Are there any signs posted on the doors as you enter? If they are opposed to gun carry, open or otherwise, if they post it on the door, it's their right to ban gun carry. It is private property. They don't have to let you in, and no diffrent than the local grocery store with the sign "no shirt no shoes no service"

Is is nice to hear from meny of you that you have had no problems. If we all keep our cool, it's likey thoes reports of no issues will continue.
    Greg

Semper Paratus -- latin, Always Prepaired

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselcrawler View Post
    Are there any signs posted on the doors as you enter? If they are opposed to gun carry, open or otherwise, if they post it on the door, it's their right to ban gun carry. It is private property. They don't have to let you in, and no diffrent than the local grocery store with the sign "no shirt no shoes no service"

Is is nice to hear from meny of you that you have had no problems. If we all keep our cool, it's likey thoes reports of no issues will continue.
    Signs are not required in Virginia - further we do NOT wish to encourage them.

Being private property they can make and enforce their own rules except as limited by law i.e protected classes.

That said I have never had even the slightest problem at any Cracker Barrel in Va. or Pa.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Centurion
    That may be policy but we eat at several different Cracker Barrels and often have the Saturday breakfast at one.
    I've never had any problems at all.

I really wish VCDL would drop the cloak and dagger sh*^ and give a little more information. I'm sure the confidential source knows what prompted this.
    I got a PDF of the memo. The sender asked to remain anonymous. I don't know what triggered the memo - I'm just sharing it. It's nothing to do with cloak and dagger, but I WILL protect my sources if they ask for such.

I know of no problems with CB in VA, but I don't have a crystal ball either, hence the sharing of intelligence with gun owners.
    Last edited by VCDL President; 03-14-2011 at 09:16 PM.

I OCd at CB just a few days ago...

OC'd at Hampton Cracker Barrel near Bass Pro just a few days ago. No problems, except for the tourist couple to my left that felt the need to inspect my Kimber carefully.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    OC'd at Hampton Cracker Barrel near Bass Pro just a few days ago. No problems, except for the tourist couple to my left that felt the need to inspect my Kimber carefully.
    Yep! I call BS on the memo at least in Va.
    Now that I said that I'll probably get kicked out next time

Founder's Club Member
    Thanks for sharing VCDL Pres. It is useful info at the very least.

I've eaten at almost every Cracker Barrel in Eastern Virginia and never had a problem OCing at any of them.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Yep! I call BS on the memo at least in Va.
    Now that I said that I'll probably get kicked out next time
    That doesn't make logical sense. The information about the memo says that it is left to each store manager's discretion. Just because the store managers in Virginia have chosen not to use that discretion does nothing to prove or disprove whether the memo is authentic or accurate.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    That doesn't make logical sense. The information about the memo says that it is left to each store manager's discretion. Just because the store managers in Virginia have chosen not to use that discretion does nothing to prove or disprove whether the memo is authentic or accurate.
    Don't think he's saying he doesn't believe the memo exists. Probably more like the memo is not a result of anything that happened in Va.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    Exactly... you can't prove a negative assertion... the policy seems to be that if a customer complains, corporate backs the local folks to take it out on the OC'er. If nobody ever complains, there is no way to confirm the actions in the memo ever get carried out.

TFred

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Greater Richmond Cracker Barrel Breakfast 3/19

Greater Richmond OC Breakfast, Sat. March 19th, 9:30 AM

Cracker Barrel Restaurant
    3620 Mayland Court
    Richmond , Va
    (804) 290-0713
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast