• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cracker Barrel: Not Friendly to Open Carriers? (Per VCDL)

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I just saw this tidbit from the VCDL regarding a leaked Cracker Barrel policy that may be enforced against open carriers:

"I received a copy of a Cracker Barrel internal policy memo from a source who will remain anonymous. The nutshell is that if a store manager wishes to he can enforce a company policy against open carry, asking the open carrier to return his gun to his vehicle, while saying (according to the memo), "We're making this request in order to accommodate our guests and employees who may be uncomfortable in the present of a fire arm (sic)." I think they should ask the guests who are uncomfortable with someone else exercising their Second Amendment rights to leave, not the gun owner who is minding his own business! I'm sick and tired of all this faux concern about somebody being *uncomfortable* about this, that or the other. If a person is uncomfortable about someone else's skin color or religious dress, should the "offender" be asked to leave? I hope not. Anyway concealed carry is not at issue for Cracker Barrel, only open carry. Just an FYI."

I've never had an issue with OCing in Cracker Barrel and can't recall anyone here having such an issue. Am I missing something? I know Bob Evans has no issue with OC or CC from e-mails I've seen from their corporate office to other folks. Have any of you had issues with Cracker Barrel?

ocholsteroc

No problem. I OC'ed there a few weeks ago. No problem.

These are great lines to use!

" I think they should ask the guests who are uncomfortable with someone else exercising their Second Amendment rights to leave, not the gun owner who is minding his own business! I'm sick and tired of all this faux concern about somebody being *uncomfortable* about this, that or the other. If a person is uncomfortable about someone else's skin color or religious dress, should the "offender" be asked to leave? I hope not. "

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That may be policy but we eat at several different Cracker Barrels and often have the Saturday breakfast at one.
I've never had any problems at all.

I really wish VCDL would drop the cloak and dagger sh*^ and give a little more information. I'm sure the confidential source knows what prompted this.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
The Tidewater dinner group has been to a couple different Cracker Barrels over the years with nary a peep from management. Its hard to miss 10-15 people carrying pistols on ther belts, so I have to conclude that the individual managers are cool with it.

ocholsteroc

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
As I indicated I've never had an issue OCing in Cracker Barrels in Arizona or Virginia. I'd be tempted to write to note my displeasure, but I think I'd prefer to keep going back and have them realize that my wife and I are fairly friendly folks who mean no harm to anyone (except attackers perhaps) and only wish to go about our days in peace. We only ask for the same accomodation.

ocholsteroc

You're not serious are you?:uhoh:

"Pleasing People® is so central to what we value, it’s our company mission statement. That’s it – Pleasing People®. Nothing more. Nothing less. Since the very first Cracker Barrel location opened back in 1969 in Lebanon, Tennessee, we’ve kept things pretty simple. At Cracker Barrel, Pleasing People® is all about mutual respect."

Isn't it discrimination?

t33j

"Pleasing People® is so central to what we value, it’s our company mission statement. That’s it – Pleasing People®. Nothing more. Nothing less. Since the very first Cracker Barrel location opened back in 1969 in Lebanon, Tennessee, we’ve kept things pretty simple. At Cracker Barrel, Pleasing People® is all about mutual respect."

Isn't it discrimination?
Gun owners are not one of the protected classes

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Someone should ask their policy on allowing people of color or of a religious group because they may make others uncomfortable.

"Excuse me, Mr. Manager those people over there make me very uncomfortable, they may be terrorists and could be dangerous." "Could you ask them to leave please?"

"Excuse me, Mr. Manager those people over there with their constitutionally protected firearms make me very uncomfortable, those guns could be dangerous." "Could you ask them to leave please?"

Dieselcrawler

Are there any signs posted on the doors as you enter? If they are opposed to gun carry, open or otherwise, if they post it on the door, it's their right to ban gun carry. It is private property. They don't have to let you in, and no diffrent than the local grocery store with the sign "no shirt no shoes no service"

Is is nice to hear from meny of you that you have had no problems. If we all keep our cool, it's likey thoes reports of no issues will continue.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Are there any signs posted on the doors as you enter? If they are opposed to gun carry, open or otherwise, if they post it on the door, it's their right to ban gun carry. It is private property. They don't have to let you in, and no diffrent than the local grocery store with the sign "no shirt no shoes no service"

Is is nice to hear from meny of you that you have had no problems. If we all keep our cool, it's likey thoes reports of no issues will continue.

Signs are not required in Virginia - further we do NOT wish to encourage them.

Being private property they can make and enforce their own rules except as limited by law i.e protected classes.

That said I have never had even the slightest problem at any Cracker Barrel in Va. or Pa.

VCDL President

Centurion
That may be policy but we eat at several different Cracker Barrels and often have the Saturday breakfast at one.
I've never had any problems at all.

I really wish VCDL would drop the cloak and dagger sh*^ and give a little more information. I'm sure the confidential source knows what prompted this.

I got a PDF of the memo. The sender asked to remain anonymous. I don't know what triggered the memo - I'm just sharing it. It's nothing to do with cloak and dagger, but I WILL protect my sources if they ask for such.

I know of no problems with CB in VA, but I don't have a crystal ball either, hence the sharing of intelligence with gun owners.

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

I OCd at CB just a few days ago...

OC'd at Hampton Cracker Barrel near Bass Pro just a few days ago. No problems, except for the tourist couple to my left that felt the need to inspect my Kimber carefully.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
OC'd at Hampton Cracker Barrel near Bass Pro just a few days ago. No problems, except for the tourist couple to my left that felt the need to inspect my Kimber carefully.

Yep! I call BS on the memo at least in Va.
Now that I said that I'll probably get kicked out next time:lol: