• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Campus Carry passes out of Senate - March 14th‏

sharkey

Yes, it was gutted.

I'm working on an AzCDL alert about this that will go out later today.

This is a glass half-empty or half-full scenario. In order to get support, the bill was amended to allow anyone to carry on any public right-of-way on a campus, which is more than just sidewalks.

It's not everything we want, but we can support it. Remember, Constitutional Carry started with a small change to the CCW laws 5 years ago. We're in it for the long haul. In the case of Campus Carry, we have nothing under current law. Right now, only criminals can carry on campus. With SB 1467, anyone can carry in the public areas. That's an improvement.

Fred

azcdlfred

Wasn't your campus carry bill gutted to exclude buildings on campus?
Hopefully, you'll do better in Nevada.

What's spooking legislators here is the full onslaught by the Brady Center after the Tucson shooting. Shifting the langauge to public areas raised the level of legislator support, knocked the wheels off the opposition, and still gives us more than a nose under the tent.

Also, Campus Carry is just one of many good gun bills this year.

Fred

Last edited:

randian

I have a question about this. In handgunlaw.us's excellent PDF, the definition of "school" for CC purposes is "kindergarten, common school, or high school". Is "common school" being interpreted to include college campuses?

azcdlfred

I have a question about this. In handgunlaw.us's excellent PDF, the definition of "school" for CC purposes is "kindergarten, common school, or high school". Is "common school" being interpreted to include college campuses?
The definitions of school and campus varies from state to state. There are no universal defintions when it comes to state laws. I would not use anything but Arizona state law as a resource.

In Arizona, ARS 13-3102 covers K-12 (you can't carry) and "campus" doesn't include K-12. Those are "schools."

College and universities are covered under a different set of statutes that allow the governing board autonomy to do whatever they want when it comes to guns. Campus Carry in Arizona is all about curtailing that authority of the governing boards.

And the word "campus" in Campus Carry is not a legal definition. It's something that was dreamed up (marketing).

Fred

randian

The definitions of school and campus varies from state to state. There are no universal defintions when it comes to state laws. I would not use anything but Arizona state law as a resource.
I was referencing their Arizona-specific PDF, which mentions the Board of Regents rules, but doesn't say what exception to ARS 13-3108 (preemption) allows to Board to regulate firearms possession. Is the Board saying it's not a "political subdivision" and therefore preemption doesn't apply to it? I'm not sure it would matter, though. Even if colleges were subject to preemption couldn't they always just put up a "no firearms" sign since Arizona gives them force of law? You'd need to strip signs of legal force, like Florida does.

azcdlfred

I was referencing their Arizona-specific PDF, which mentions the Board of Regents rules, but doesn't say what exception to ARS 13-3108 (preemption) allows to Board to regulate firearms possession. Is the Board saying it's not a "political subdivision" and therefore preemption doesn't apply to it? I'm not sure it would matter, though. Even if colleges were subject to preemption couldn't they always just put up a "no firearms" sign since Arizona gives them force of law? You'd need to strip signs of legal force, like Florida does.
Colleges and universities don't fall under ARS 13-3108.

ARS 13-2911.D gives the governing boards carte blanche to do as they wish when it comes to guns and "public order" on campus.

Since you are anergized by this, next time we're running a Campus Carry bill, come on down to the Arizona Capitol and testify. Every voice helps.

Fred

noname762

Pro freedom??

FWIW when I was going back to college in 1995-96 I frequently CCed on campus. The way I saw it at the time some laws are begging to be broken. This plus the fact I did a bit of politicing that seemed to counter the 1st and 2nd amendments usage at this particular school. If you were for the environment, gay rights and other silliness you could do pretty much anything you wanted. If you were PRO FREEDOM there were MANY RESTRICTIONS IN PLACE. My attitude then as now....screw the restricters of FREEDOM!!