• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Castle Rock Chase Bank

ColoradoFlyer

Just left this bank after being asked to remove my firearm that was clearly visible. I have been in this bank many times while OC'ing and the manager told me it was against the law. Had a nice dialoge with her explaining that it was not against the law, they could ask me to leave and that they may have a policy about it, but it was not against the law. I had a transaction that I need done and did not want to fight with her. I went to my car, and locked it away, went back in and completed my transaction. I then asked for a copy of their policy and she told me it was confidental for internal use only. I explained to her that if they want to enforce an internal only document that they should post a sign explain that no firearms are allowed. I quietly left and will not return to this branch again. I have been in many other branches without a problem. I will follow up with what i find out from corporate offices.
Happy OC, Carry On.

OldCurlyWolf

Just left this bank after being asked to remove my firearm that was clearly visible. I have been in this bank many times while OC'ing and the manager told me it was against the law. Had a nice dialoge with her explaining that it was not against the law, they could ask me to leave and that they may have a policy about it, but it was not against the law. I had a transaction that I need done and did not want to fight with her. I went to my car, and locked it away, went back in and completed my transaction. I then asked for a copy of their policy and she told me it was confidental for internal use only. I explained to her that if they want to enforce an internal only document that they should post a sign explain that no firearms are allowed. I quietly left and will not return to this branch again. I have been in many other branches without a problem. I will follow up with what i find out from corporate offices.
Happy OC, Carry On.

In other words she was enforcing her own prejudices and probably lied to a customer.

If you can prove that I would try to get her fired as unreliable.

:mad:

js5439

whats their number I'd gladly call and make a complaint
if a bunch of people did I'm sure that ******** paper would change

Last edited:

JamesB

I think you are overreacting just as they did.
You went into a bank with a gun.

I carried several times into my bank without anyone noticing that I had a gun. The first time I asked to use their bathroom there was all kinds of excitement.
Since then I made sure to go in very regularly (I made this branch my only branch) so that they would see me often and get to know me. I also made sure to know the name and greet by name the receptionist and all five tellers.
I have never had another problem and they all smile and greet me by name when I walk in.

Just because you carried there before doesn't mean that they saw it before. Sheeple see what they want to see.
I suggest you take a deep breath and try it again.

What you experienced is actually a good first oc encounter, while not exactly prime. Police were not called. Conversation took place. Everyone went home ok. Good first steps concerning people who are not accustomed to seeing people wearing a gun.

ColoradoFlyer

James B- Thank you for your comments. I have been into this bank on a regular basis for the past year, almost always carrying. In fact on teller asked what I was carrying. Obviously others had seen it before. I have also been in there with Sheriff Deputy in uniform and I know he saw it and said nothing. I think I was very calm and rational about the whole encounter and I was not one to make a scene but as I mentioned I did follow-up with Chase and got the following response. I included my original note to them, trying to be as polite as possible. The answer I got back was what I had other branches tell me. I think I will print it out and provide a copy to the local branch manager. She can take it up with her manager if she so chooses.

Dear Tom,

Thank you for contacting the Internet Service Center.

I understand your concern regarding the firearm policy.
In response to your inquiry, Chase does not have a
corporate policy concerning the carrying of firearms in
our Branches, but rather defers to state law on this
issue. Therefore, if it is legal to carry a firearm or
concealed weapon in Colorado, Chase Branches will treat a
customer legally entering the branch with a properly
holstered firearm as "business as usual" as long as there
is no threat to other customers or employees (obviously
someone entering a branch with a drawn weapon/waving a gun
about would warrant approach/a call to authorities).

However, we recommend reviewing the state policy to ensure
that banks are not considered "no-carry" zones; certain
states have designated certain areas (such as schools)
zones where only law enforcement officers may carry a
weapon.

Chase strives to provide excellent service to all of our
customers. It has been our pleasure to be of service to
you.

Chase By Phone representatives are available to assist you
by calling 1-800-935-9935.

Thank you,

Mel Rupinski
Internet Service Center

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Date :Mon Mar 14 20:47:53 2011

comments : I reside in Colorado where the Open Carrying of
a firearm is legal. I would like to know what Chase Banks
Corporate Policy is regarding customers lawfully carrying
a firearm in the bank, either openly as permitted in
Colorado or with a Concealed Carry Permit. I should
point out that the Open Carry of a Firearm is legal in
many western states and the information provided will help
me determine if I remain a committed Chase Bank Customer.
I appreciate your response or should you have any
questions please don't hesitate to call me. If this needs
to be forwarded to an appropriate regional manager, please
do so.
Thank you.

In closing, I use this portal to share both good and bad experiences. As others noted, the manager was obviously inflicting her own personal views on the situation. I did not aggrevate or engage in a disagreement and I will take this with me next time I am in the bank and share with her. If she still objects, I can bank at any of the other branches that appreciate my business. No sense in causing a confrontation, and if the local branch does not want my business or they want to be stupid, I only have one thing to say: You Can't Fix Stupid.....

Last edited:

mahkagari

In closing, I use this portal to share both good and bad experiences. As others noted, the manager was obviously inflicting her own personal views on the situation. I did not aggrevate or engage in a disagreement and I will take this with me next time I am in the bank and share with her. If she still objects, I can bank at any of the other branches that appreciate my business. No sense in causing a confrontation, and if the local branch does not want my business or they want to be stupid, I only have one thing to say: You Can't Fix Stupid.....

I would forward the response to the local regional manager with "Thank you for your response. Upon a recent visit to X branch on X day, I was told X by X person which appears to conflict your corporate policy. I'm sure you value the training of your branch managers so I am informing you of my experience." Not to be confrontational, but for educational purpose.

JamesB

Somehow I had missed where you said this was a Chase bank.

About two years ago when I started an unemployment claim I had to go through Chase (all benefits came from there). I was there at my local branch religiously every two weeks. Always with a sidearm, never a problem.

With your new information from corporate, I would go talk to them again. However, I would politely call the branch and ask to set up a meeting with the branch manager (appointment). This way they will be expecting you, and expecting you to behave. just to set them at ease for when you actually show up.

Consider not carrying for the one meeting. Final choice of course up to you. But half an hour unarmed to set up a potential lifetime of good relationship... just something to think about.

Gunslinger

James B- Thank you for your comments. I have been into this bank on a regular basis for the past year, almost always carrying. In fact on teller asked what I was carrying. Obviously others had seen it before. I have also been in there with Sheriff Deputy in uniform and I know he saw it and said nothing. I think I was very calm and rational about the whole encounter and I was not one to make a scene but as I mentioned I did follow-up with Chase and got the following response. I included my original note to them, trying to be as polite as possible. The answer I got back was what I had other branches tell me. I think I will print it out and provide a copy to the local branch manager. She can take it up with her manager if she so chooses.

Dear Tom,

Thank you for contacting the Internet Service Center.

I understand your concern regarding the firearm policy.
In response to your inquiry, Chase does not have a
corporate policy concerning the carrying of firearms in
our Branches, but rather defers to state law on this
issue. Therefore, if it is legal to carry a firearm or
concealed weapon in Colorado, Chase Branches will treat a
customer legally entering the branch with a properly
holstered firearm as "business as usual" as long as there
is no threat to other customers or employees (obviously
someone entering a branch with a drawn weapon/waving a gun
about would warrant approach/a call to authorities).

However, we recommend reviewing the state policy to ensure
that banks are not considered "no-carry" zones; certain
states have designated certain areas (such as schools)
zones where only law enforcement officers may carry a
weapon.

Chase strives to provide excellent service to all of our
customers. It has been our pleasure to be of service to
you.

Chase By Phone representatives are available to assist you
by calling 1-800-935-9935.

Thank you,

Mel Rupinski
Internet Service Center

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Date :Mon Mar 14 20:47:53 2011

comments : I reside in Colorado where the Open Carrying of
a firearm is legal. I would like to know what Chase Banks
Corporate Policy is regarding customers lawfully carrying
a firearm in the bank, either openly as permitted in
Colorado or with a Concealed Carry Permit. I should
point out that the Open Carry of a Firearm is legal in
many western states and the information provided will help
me determine if I remain a committed Chase Bank Customer.
I appreciate your response or should you have any
questions please don't hesitate to call me. If this needs
to be forwarded to an appropriate regional manager, please
do so.
Thank you.

Good job on the follow-up. In my experience, 9 out of 10 times in CO corporate policy is to follow state laws. Obviously, the PDR of Denver is the dead fish when it comes to OC. I would also think transferred employees from a Denver branch to a COS branch may be mistaken in thinking OC is unlawful everywhere in the state. Correcting them in a professional manner is doing them a good turn.

ColoradoFlyer

Final Follow-up. I stopped in and talked to the manager. Two reasons, as an educator I wanted to make sure she understood that I was not upset with her and and to make sure she understood the laws. She countered and appreciated how I handled the situation and then went on to explain that she did some checking and that she was in error and although I was right she was appreciative that I understood and respected her decisions at the moment. I did and she advised that she performed some additional training to inform her staff that the open carrying of a firearm is legal and that I was welcome in the bank to do any banking necessary. An excellent short meeting and as JamesB pointed out, very non-confrontational, and without my "piece", but in the future I will be equipped.

Thanks for all the responses... A very good outcome and an opportunity to share some educational points with all.
Blue Skies, strong tailwinds, carry on!

js5439

Final Follow-up. I stopped in and talked to the manager. Two reasons, as an educator I wanted to make sure she understood that I was not upset with her and and to make sure she understood the laws. She countered and appreciated how I handled the situation and then went on to explain that she did some checking and that she was in error and although I was right she was appreciative that I understood and respected her decisions at the moment. I did and she advised that she performed some additional training to inform her staff that the open carrying of a firearm is legal and that I was welcome in the bank to do any banking necessary. An excellent short meeting and as JamesB pointed out, very non-confrontational, and without my "piece", but in the future I will be equipped.

Thanks for all the responses... A very good outcome and an opportunity to share some educational points with all.
Blue Skies, strong tailwinds, carry on!

i love a happy ending! :lol:

pierceddwes

No matter how good everything else went, she lied. Obviously from several comments on this thread there is no Chase corporate policy prohibiting open carry.

ya im bring up a dead thread but just reporting my experiences with Chase in Oklahoma. So BOK is out to get me so I told them, I will be switching to another bank and they said in the most monotone voice "ok" and just disregarded the past 8 years. so I was on the hunt for a new bank, I found MANY that refused firearms finally I happen upon a chase bank and checked it out. it wasn't posted on the front door so I entered and talked to a banker and she finally noticed and said "Uhhh I don't think you can have that here" then seconds later "nevermind your cool" and I said "if it is not policy I want to know and move on to a different bank" she checked with her manager and he had no problem and said it was fine. so she was awesome and lots of help and im excited that I am with a new bank that is not blood sucking me.

I open carry a G17 all the time by the way.

Last edited:

rontiller

Chase Bank firearm policy rides again

Just had a discussion with a Michigan Chase Bank manager regarding carrying in their branches. She claimed that concealed carry only is allowed. The first time we had the discussion she said that corporate told her there was a federal law (there is not) that only allows concealed carry. Next day she and her boss maintained that it was corporate policy to only allow concealed. CC is fine in cooler weather but in 90 degree heat I don't wear a jacket nor do I wish to look like a slob with my shirt untucked. I have sent a message to corporate asking for clarification. We will see what the response is, if any.
Ron Tiller
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
MCRGO Certified Firearms Instructor

Last edited:

Anubis

Welcome to the forum, rontiller!

Whatever a bank's corporate policy on carrying, it is problematic that the local manager even knows it. If the local manager excludes open carry, or all carry, we must live with it or move to another bank. Same with any store, really.

rontiller

Welcome to the forum, rontiller!

Whatever a bank's corporate policy on carrying, it is problematic that the local manager even knows it. If the local manager excludes open carry, or all carry, we must live with it or move to another bank. Same with any store, really.

I just asked my money and it told me it doesn't care where it lives. Still, I will wait for a response from Chase Corporate ( if it comes. ) If not, Chase will be added to the naughty list on multiple 2A websites as places with which NOT to do business.

Last edited:

lukaszu

Me

No worries so far i'v been kicked out of Wells Fargo while cc'n cause the security saw my print, had cops called on me by a old veteran at King soopers, run in with a Thornton pd while pumping gas and handcuffed by westminster PD for not showing my receipt at Walmart.... I swear - bad luck follows me. My advice to anyone asked to leave... Leave at once, if pushing a buggie then leave it right there, if at a bank leave immediately and don't even ask about policies or for management,

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No worries so far i'v been kicked out of Wells Fargo while cc'n cause the security saw my print, had cops called on me by a old veteran at King soopers, run in with a Thornton pd while pumping gas and handcuffed by westminster PD for not showing my receipt at Walmart.... I swear - bad luck follows me. My advice to anyone asked to leave... Leave at once, if pushing a buggie then leave it right there, if at a bank leave immediately and don't even ask about policies or for management,
That will gain nothing. You will be giving in to the antis.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
lukaszu,

When I lived in Colorado Springs (COS) for 3 years (2013-2016), I OCed there in the places/stores you mention (and more). Likewise did so in Security, Fountain, Castle Rock, Parker, Aurora, Arvada, Littleton, Golden, Lakewood, Broomfield, Highland Ranch, Monument and others...never had anyone question me or ask me to leave any grocery store, bank or other.

In fact, in a Wells Fargo in COS, 2 tellers easily recognized why I was getting a couple of money-orders: Applying for my CC permit -- as they also had gotten theirs earlier. And I was OCing at the time (as per usual).