• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jogging and open carry?

x3atthis

Hello! Just some brief information about myself, I'm 20 years old, in the Army Reserves, married to an Active Duty soldier, and have a 6 month old son. We're stationed at Fort Bragg but live in Fayetteville...

On to my question...
I often go jogging with my son in a jogging stroller around my neighborhood. Being that I am under 21, I cannot acquire a CC permit. After being followed by a vehicle a few weeks ago while running with my son, I have been wary to go out running again while unarmed. I live in a very nice part of the city (nice being a relative term given that it IS Fayetteville), but residents have in the past fallen victim to violence as a result of gang initiations. Last Spring a man who lives down the road from me while jumped for a gang initiation and severely injured. I especially do not want to go running unarmed while my son is with me, as I feel as though having a baby with me screams, "Target!"

I have found some recommendations for CC jogging holsters, but can't find many suggestions for open carry.

In addition, any other generalized suggestions in regards to open carry are greatly appreciated. Going out in Fayetteville with an infant and all that it entails (car seats, turning my back to parking lots to strap him in, etc etc), exercising my right to open carry would provide me with some much needed security.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While you did not say what model handgun you might be carrying, I personally have a strong preference for the Serpa belt slide holster - excellent retention and very fast presentation. Good choice for jogging.

BTW - part of the benefit of OCing is the visual deterrent.

usamarshal

Just out of curiousity is there on base housing? If so, are they nice or crappy?

x3atthis

Grapeshot- Its a Bersa Thunder .380...a belt holster does seem like the easiest of choices, though I'm not sure what the best type of belt would be to wear with jogging shorts.

usamarshal- There is housing on post, its quality varies greatly depending on your rank, family size, and how long of a waiting list you want to be stuck on. Nicer neighborhoods tend to have insane waiting lists. Crime on post is relatively bad in my opinion. Last year there was a serial rapist attacking women who were home alone (turned out to be a soldier), and in my husband's old barracks a guy was beaten and robbed at gunpoint when he opened the door to his room.
Not to mention the infant death drama going on: http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2011/03/09/1077100?sac=Home
I recommend off post housing, personally. Though that could backfire if you don't know the area and end up in the wrong spot.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot- Its a Bersa Thunder .380...a belt holster does seem like the easiest of choices, though I'm not sure what the best type of belt would be to wear with jogging shorts.

usamarshal- There is housing on post,

I would recommend a rigger/instructors belt like the 5.11 belts. the plastic buckle ones are more economical and will do you fine for your purpose.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/511-tactical-belts.html?gclid=CKXn-7vHz6cCFc885QoduWs4EQ

Are you living on post? That will likely be a deal breaker right there - doubt that they will permit you to jog with a handgun. :banghead:

Last edited:

CDT COX

Grapeshot- Its a Bersa Thunder .380...a belt holster does seem like the easiest of choices, though I'm not sure what the best type of belt would be to wear with jogging shorts.usamarshal- There is housing on post, its quality varies greatly depending on your rank, family size, and how long of a waiting list you want to be stuck on. Nicer neighborhoods tend to have insane waiting lists. Crime on post is relatively bad in my opinion. Last year there was a serial rapist attacking women who were home alone (turned out to be a soldier), and in my husband's old barracks a guy was beaten and robbed at gunpoint when he opened the door to his room.
Not to mention the infant death drama going on: http://www.fayobserver.com/articles/2011/03/09/1077100?sac=Home
I recommend off post housing, personally. Though that could backfire if you don't know the area and end up in the wrong spot.

You weren't issued a bright yellow PT belt? I OC jogged around my nieghborhood in PT shorts with the belt no problem.

x3atthis

sultan62-That's actually a really good idea, I had considered it. It's a BOB Revolution and besides the frame its primarily canvas so it may be a little tricky, but worth attempting at a minimum.

Grapeshot- I live off post in Fayetteville.

CDT Cox- Did the PT belt provide enough security to handle the weight without mass amounts of jostling and flying up and down?

muccione

This is my old rig that I used when I lived in Fayetteville...

21mvuop.jpg

2gt6t0w.jpg

Just kidding... Get a blackhawk serpa and find a good, secure way to mount it.. . close and quick to grab...

Last edited:

Dreamer

muccione,

I lived in Fayetteville for 2 years, and your pictures made me short a Wendy's Frosty...

LOL!

The bad thing is, such a rig for certain parts of Fayetteghanistan would not be entirely inappropriate...

x3atthis

muccione,

I lived in Fayetteville for 2 years, and your pictures made me short a Wendy's Frosty...

LOL!

The bad thing is, such a rig for certain parts of Fayetteghanistan would not be entirely inappropriate...

LMAO. That set up is standard practice for my Sunday afternoon strolls on the Murch, figured I'd tone it down a little for the Haymount folks.

rotorhead

lol

That's a sweet rig for sure!

x3atthis, welcome to the forum. I live in this town too and it's a good idea to be ready for anything.

I'm thinking like sultan and my answer would be to rig something up in the stroller somewhere, out of reach of little hands of course. You wouldn't have that floppy brick bouncing all around messing with your stride, and it would be there right where you needed it too.

Just make sure it's visible if you don't have your CHP. Good luck, and stay safe out there.

x3atthis

muccione- The parts of "Haymount" that are scary are falsely claiming the Haymount name. I follow a strict Haymount parameter policy...from General Lee Park to Cape Fear Avenue, with a careful distance from the Blvd. maintained. Now Oakridge? Kinda scary. Glenville? Terrifying. The neighborhood tucked inbetween General Lee Park and Bragg Blvd? Definitively scary.

rotorhead- When rigging to the stroller, would it be considered concealed if it was on the back of the stroller, so essentially in between myself and the stroller?

smlawrence

I couldn't see an ankle hoster working for jogging with the impact of your feet whle jogging but a secure hip holster or shoulder rig I would think would work better, especially with a little .380. One idea that I would mention is to be sure you change up your route and what times you jog so as to not have a consistent jogging schedule just in case someone is trying to learn your routine. Good luck and be safe.

rotorhead

muccione- The parts of "Haymount" that are scary are falsely claiming the Haymount name. I follow a strict Haymount parameter policy...from General Lee Park to Cape Fear Avenue, with a careful distance from the Blvd. maintained. Now Oakridge? Kinda scary. Glenville? Terrifying. The neighborhood tucked inbetween General Lee Park and Bragg Blvd? Definitively scary.

rotorhead- When rigging to the stroller, would it be considered concealed if it was on the back of the stroller, so essentially in between myself and the stroller?

Not if it was visible to the public. If anyone could look at the stroller and see it, it's not concealed. :)