• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jogging and open carry?

rotorhead

When I lived on post in 1966 it wasn't too bad. You can imagine what it's like now.

It's the same buildings but with a face lift they got back in the mid-90s. If you peel back the vinyl siding, you'll see the same old brick buildings that were built in the 40s-60s.

Some housing areas are a bit newer though. Any guess on which ranks gets the newer places? :p

tak2w

Check out this company (www.grassburr.com) for a holster that can mount to a car or ATV. They have a bracket that can mount to the handle bars on an ATV, so it should mount on the stroller handle. And, the prices are very reasonable. I am not affiliated with this company, just saw a review on youtube that Sootch00 did on one of their holsters.

x3atthis

It's the same buildings but with a face lift they got back in the mid-90s. If you peel back the vinyl siding, you'll see the same old brick buildings that were built in the 40s-60s.

Some housing areas are a bit newer though. Any guess on which ranks gets the newer places? :p

If you're lucky that is. There are some brick townhouses tucked back deep just past (if I'm recalling correctly) the intersection of Gruber and Knox. They seriously look like they're falling apart, the parking are lots running down the streets and each family is only allotted one assigned parking spot, so I guess for all your other cars its a good luck free for all.

My grandmother lived here off and on during her adolescence because my great-grandfather was stationed here, then she married a soldier and was stationed here with him for some time, so the 60s. She always goes and on and on about how they were small but nice and no one carried that they were small, they were just thankful for the housing, she doesn't understand why military families are complaining about the housing, etc, etc. I told her if I'm going to spend 1000 bucks a month, its not going to be on some ratty two bedroom apartment surrounded by lower enlisted families and couples (because quite frankly, most of them are incredibly immature and lacking in common sense), on a post where the MPs are arguably far worse at their jobs than the FPD. There I go ranting...can you tell I'm not fond of government housing?

On topic, for simplicity's sake I went ahead and purchased an ankle holster. I most likely won't chamber a round when I run as a precaution because of the impact, and it fits on my bicep just like an armband case for an iPod, so if it jostles too much when I run I can try that, and if that doesn't work go from there. I was looking at the stroller and because it is a high end jogger, its very light (great for jogging, bad for weapon mounting). The weight balance is very sensitive, I can't even use the handlebars to hold a light handbag (with my son in the seat) without it almost tipping backwards. And with its main construction being canvas the only other option I could think of was securing it to the top of the canopy, lying flat. However, then those who are up to no good won't be able to see it and I really want that deterrent factor when I run.

Though I am thinking about a belly band holster now, I could just wear it over my clothes and it won't be anywhere near as Rambo as a shoulder holster, lol. The BodyGuard by Magills and Desantis Belly Band both look pretty promising, so that will probably be my next route if ankle/arm carry doesn't work out. Finding a well reviewed belly band holster has been a pain...most don't have retention straps since most people use them for CC and they mostly seem to be designed for nearly the entire gun to go inside of. Not very OC friendly, but I finally found a few.

Thanks for all of your help!

sultan62

Of the forms of carry I've tried, belly bands are my absolute least favorite. However, as they say, different strokes for different folks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Belly bands are hot, uncomfortable and hold sweat to your gun - in warmer weather will most likely need to be laundered daily. Wouldn't even think about wearing one.

calynn

I've been following this thread and am glad to see you are interesting in OCing. One thing I would worry about with the ankle/bicep carry is the draw. Some people have trouble keeping an ankle holster in place day-to-day, so it may not be a good solution while jogging. Bicep is a good idea, but it'll be an awkward draw, which would be bad if you ever had to use it. I think if you can find a shoulder holster that would fit your Bersa that it would be a good option because it's secure and offers a good draw, but what matters is finding something that works for you.

Keep us posted and tell your husband we appreciate his service!