• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOC vs OC?

Aknazer

While browsing the CA forums I see several people stating that they UOC, while other people simply say OC. I tried searching both this site and google for an answer but I wasn't able to find anything on it (the site says it's too short to search for). What is the difference between UOC instead of just OC?

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
here in california it is not legal to carry in the open a loaded (oc) firearm in incorporated territory so we are forced to unloaded open carry(uoc) when inside city limits or in a location where discharge is prohibited.

ftfy

Aknazer

Another question. I have family in San Diego, if I were to drive out to visit what would the laws be for having a weapon in my car? I know that some states view the car the same as your house which means you can have a loaded and concealed handgun in the vehicle with you. Does CA do this as well, or do you have to transport the weapon locked up and separate from the gun?

ryanburbridge

Another question. I have family in San Diego, if I were to drive out to visit what would the laws be for having a weapon in my car? I know that some states view the car the same as your house which means you can have a loaded and concealed handgun in the vehicle with you. Does CA do this as well, or do you have to transport the weapon locked up and separate from the gun?

Be vary careful with guns if you don't know the law.

Google Ca DOJ guns!

You must at least try to know the laws.

Look here.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto

Aknazer

That's why I'm asking the questions. I just left CA so I don't plan on being back there for a bit, but I was still curious and wanted to know prior to returning. Also going off of that link does that mean when you UOC you have to have the gun locked up, then when you get to wherever you're going to carry you unlock it and put it on your belt followed by locking it up again when you go home?

Also does California define exactly what unloaded is? I know in another state you can have a loaded magazine in, but not one in the chamber and that's considered unloaded (for revolves it's both the current and very next chamber as being empty). Given how strict California is I would guess that they would say it has to be an empty magazine and that you can't have any loaded magazines on you. But then I don't understand how they would expect you to be able to "defend" yourself unless they mean throw your gun at the enemy.

Firemark

That's why I'm asking the questions. I just left CA so I don't plan on being back there for a bit, but I was still curious and wanted to know prior to returning. Also going off of that link does that mean when you UOC you have to have the gun locked up, then when you get to wherever you're going to carry you unlock it and put it on your belt followed by locking it up again when you go home?

Also does California define exactly what unloaded is? I know in another state you can have a loaded magazine in, but not one in the chamber and that's considered unloaded (for revolves it's both the current and very next chamber as being empty). Given how strict California is I would guess that they would say it has to be an empty magazine and that you can't have any loaded magazines on you. But then I don't understand how they would expect you to be able to "defend" yourself unless they mean throw your gun at the enemy.

Go to the "Read this first" thread at the top of the page and go to Nate's In-Depth Open Carry FAQ link. Pretty much all your questions are covered in there. Or click on my signature "New to Open Carry? click here first. down below

Last edited: