• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California Legislature Wants Being a Politician as Good Cause for CC Permit

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Citing the recent shooting of Congresswoman Giffords, our California legislature has proposed a bill that would make being an elected State official a "good cause" for a CCW permit!

What's outrageous is that we have a bill going through that would make open carry illegal for citizens, thus taking away a significant means of protection. However, our elected officials feel that somehow they deserve special privileges just because they are elected. So, if the same thing happened in California that happened in Arizona, the politician would be able to defend him/herself, but the 18 other law abiding citizens would have no protection!

Here's my answer to our legislature: The laws are currently written whereby you can carry a gun openly for protection (given certain restrictions). Just do it! Then you'll know how stupid some of these restrictions are!

realityfatality

That's such bullcrap. It just gives you clear proof that our servants are scared of their lifes being taken by the very people they are serving, which is another classic case of prejudice and sterotyping. All of the sudden 1 man can strike the fear in many servants and they start carrying pieces? But they are abolishing our second ammendment rights more and more every day.

What if I thought all politicans were cheating lieing pieces of crap so I took away their right to free speech?

If this passes I think I will be seeking a mountain home to get away from it all.

The last thing I need is a bunch of white collar politicians carrying around guns bigger than their dicks that they practically did nothing to obtain and don't know how to use.

If it makes sense for a politician to ccw for that reason, then it makes sense for a child to ccw because he would be more at risk of a violent crime than a full grown adult.

This really boils my blood.

Last edited:

AIC869

Apparently they haven't read their own constitution...unless they're looking to use the last line of this article/section as their basis...

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/.const/.article_1

Article 1 Section 7b
(b) A citizen or class of citizens may not be granted privileges
or immunities not granted on the same terms to all citizens.
Privileges or immunities granted by the Legislature may be altered or
revoked.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Lets not overlook the bonanza they just handed us.

A politician in another state gets shot. One politician in how many years since the last?

And, now suddenly all politicians should have CCW permits? Great! I love it!

Citizens get shot, robbed, and raped much more often. Thus, by the politician's own logic, citizen's should have had shall issue and loaded OC years ago.

Also, their proposal is a complete inversion of the 1968 gun control act. Back then, three opinion leaders got shot--two Kennedys and ML King. The "solution" was to pass draconian gun restrictions that are still with us today. The current proposal is not to pass more anti-gun laws--it is to start arming the targets! Infrequent targets at that.

Wonderful! Thank you, politicians!

Just hammer those talking points, and any other related angles you can dream up.

bad_ace

This level of hypocrisy on this one is off the charts!

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Since we already have laws granting privileges and immunities to all employees of certain corporations (Police departments) that do contracted work for another corporation (<inset name of your city here>). Shouldn't these laws be altered or revoked?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I would love for this to become law. Let the leg. be their own worst enemy.

Maybe we shouldn't talk about this. lol

But I had to ask myself: Is this an intentional trojan horse?

But, no, there's a (D) behind it. Just the moronic legislature up to their usual idiocy.

Last edited:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Maybe we shouldn't talk about this. lol

But I had to ask myself: Is this an intentional trojan horse?

But, no, there's a (D) behind it. Just the moronic legislature up to their usual idiocy.

Except Senator Rod Wright is not one of our anti-gun enemies. He's probably the most pro-gun democrat in the State Legislature, more pro-gun than some of the Republican caucus, go figure. He's one of the reasons why the CGF Carry Licensing Initiative has been so successful in getting sheriff's to eliminate their unlawful fees and requirements (Solano County, San Mateo County, etc)

If you read the rest of the bill, you'll see the reasons why this bill is supported. There is also some 9th Circuit Court case law on equal protection that would be helpful to us.

This bill should be passed.

-Gray

ryanburbridge

I think any pro gun laws would be good. Just because I can not benefit from this law YET dose not make it bad. Hey maybe more gun guys would run for an office if they got an instant CCW. Imagine a flood of gun nuts running for office to get a CCW! Now that would be funny.

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I think any pro gun laws would be good. Just because I can not benefit from this law YET dose not make it bad. Hey maybe more gun guys would run for an office if they got an instant CCW. Imagine a flood of gun nuts running for office to get a CCW! Now that would be funny.

No, that's not why this bill is awesome.

While I support the fundamental human right of representatives to be armed for self-defense, they certainly shouldn't be given an exemption to laws they pass violating those rights.

If that's all this bill did, it would be nasty and vile.

But, that's not all it will do. It is solely for its further potential that we hope it will pass.

Last edited:

Sons of Liberty

Let them serve us before they serve themselves by repealing open carry restrictions. We need less restrictions on open carry, not more legislation on government permission carry.

Sons of Liberty

That ain't gonna happen, SoL, and you know it. This is California, not New Hampshire.

Gray, the problem with your position on most things related to open carry is that you don't anchor your principles and objectives to the Constitution. Your vocalized strategy on the boards has been to accept defeat before you start and to compromise/negotiate/litigate for something less than what is guaranteed. Your path and those who advocate that California is not somehow amenable to ensuring its citizens the full breadth of rights documented in the Constitution will always fall short of restoring 2A rights as the founders intended. You fall short because you aim short.

Regardless of what the differences are between California and New Hampshire, we must hold all state legislatures accountable to the basic rights enumerated in the Constitution.