Thread: Hb 294

Hb 294

There appears to be some changes in the proposed bill. Can anyone decipher this? I see the part about changing the age to 21 years of age but there are some other changes as well.

http://house.mo.gov/BillSummary.aspx...0294&style=new

I just read the bill summary and it pretty much explains most of it.

Understand this passed and was sent to the Governor. I believe he has 15 days to either veto or sign. How long has it been and does anyone have any info on its passage/veto??

what questions on the bill do you have questions about specifically? Just the CCW? yah its changing it to 21. and it is also changing it where you have to shoot 50 rounds in both a revolver and a semi auto pistol. and qualify with both. while before some instructors were only doing 25 rounds threw each, and only qualifying with one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by goalseter88 View Post
    what questions on the bill do you have questions about specifically? Just the CCW? yah its changing it to 21. and it is also changing it where you have to shoot 50 rounds in both a revolver and a semi auto pistol. and qualify with both. while before some instructors were only doing 25 rounds threw each, and only qualifying with one or the other.
    Depends on how you count 15 days. If it's calendar days, that would be this Thursday. It could be business days, or days when the legislature is in session, or days that start with T. I simply don't remember that piece.

The bill's page is here: http://www.house.mo.gov/billsummary.aspx?bill=HB294 This should tell you anything you need to know about it. There are a number of changes, most of them uninteresting to most people.

I believe th e"magic date" is sept 28th it becomes law, I could be wrong.
    If he vetos the bill the veto, there will be a veto over ride, there are enough votes for sure.
    If he signs it Sept 28th it goes into effect by statute.
    If he does nothing, it becomes law sept. 28th

I hope I'm righ ton the date, the rest is accurate.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

I read the full text of the bill and I can't see how this applies to open carry...
    "Before all else, be armed." -Nicolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    I believe th e"magic date" is sept 28th it becomes law, I could be wrong.
    If he vetos the bill the veto, there will be a veto over ride, there are enough votes for sure.
    If he signs it Sept 28th it goes into effect by statute.
    If he does nothing, it becomes law sept. 28th

I hope I'm righ ton the date, the rest is accurate.
    Aug 28 I believe ....
    Last edited by JDW; 06-07-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDW View Post
    Aug 28 I believe ....
    Yes, it's August 28, and the Governor has 45 days to sign, pocket pass, or veto the bill, not 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend BCal View Post
    I read the full text of the bill and I can't see how this applies to open carry...
    It has nothing to do with OC!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!

Bingo.
    "Before all else, be armed." -Nicolo Machiavelli

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by cshoff View Post
    Yes, it's August 28, and the Governor has 45 days to sign, pocket pass, or veto the bill, not 15.
    it's a little more complex that that. I'm looking at Article III Section 31 of the MO Constitution here: http://www.sos.mo.gov/pubs/missouri_constitution.pdf

It says that basically, if the Legislature is in session, it's 15 days. If it's out of session, 45 days. Since they passed the bill on the last day of the session, Gov Nixon gets 45 days.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    it's a little more complex that that. I'm looking at Article III Section 31 of the MO Constitution here: http://www.sos.mo.gov/pubs/missouri_constitution.pdf

It says that basically, if the Legislature is in session, it's 15 days. If it's out of session, 45 days. Since they passed the bill on the last day of the session, Gov Nixon gets 45 days.

Jason
    I don't know how it could be "more complex" than what I stated. He has 45 days to act on this bill. If he signs or allows it to "pocket pass", it becomes law on August 28.

I don't know how it could be "more complex" than what I stated. He has 45 days to act on this bill. If he signs or allows it to "pocket pass", it becomes law on August 28.
    The Governor does not have 45 days to sign a bill, nor does he have 15 days to sign a bill. The number changes depending on the status of the legislature. That make it more complex than either 15 or 45 days.

Quote Originally Posted by kcgunfan View Post
    The Governor does not have 45 days to sign a bill, nor does he have 15 days to sign a bill. The number changes depending on the status of the legislature. That make it more complex than either 15 or 45 days.
    With THIS particular bill, he has 45 days to act on it. That's not too complex, I wouldn't think.

August 28th, why can't I remember that date?

Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    August 28th, why can't I remember that date?
    Because the bill just isn't that interesting? It's almost all just silly bookkeeping stuff...