• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hb 294

Jaysann22

Understand this passed and was sent to the Governor. I believe he has 15 days to either veto or sign. How long has it been and does anyone have any info on its passage/veto??

goalseter88

what questions on the bill do you have questions about specifically? Just the CCW? yah its changing it to 21. and it is also changing it where you have to shoot 50 rounds in both a revolver and a semi auto pistol. and qualify with both. while before some instructors were only doing 25 rounds threw each, and only qualifying with one or the other.

kcgunfan

what questions on the bill do you have questions about specifically? Just the CCW? yah its changing it to 21. and it is also changing it where you have to shoot 50 rounds in both a revolver and a semi auto pistol. and qualify with both. while before some instructors were only doing 25 rounds threw each, and only qualifying with one or the other.

Depends on how you count 15 days. If it's calendar days, that would be this Thursday. It could be business days, or days when the legislature is in session, or days that start with T. I simply don't remember that piece.

The bill's page is here: http://www.house.mo.gov/billsummary.aspx?bill=HB294 This should tell you anything you need to know about it. There are a number of changes, most of them uninteresting to most people.

mspgunner

I believe th e"magic date" is sept 28th it becomes law, I could be wrong.
If he vetos the bill the veto, there will be a veto over ride, there are enough votes for sure.
If he signs it Sept 28th it goes into effect by statute.
If he does nothing, it becomes law sept. 28th

I hope I'm righ ton the date, the rest is accurate.

JDW

I believe th e"magic date" is sept 28th it becomes law, I could be wrong.
If he vetos the bill the veto, there will be a veto over ride, there are enough votes for sure.
If he signs it Sept 28th it goes into effect by statute.
If he does nothing, it becomes law sept. 28th

I hope I'm righ ton the date, the rest is accurate.

Aug 28 I believe ....

Last edited:

kcgunfan

Yes, it's August 28, and the Governor has 45 days to sign, pocket pass, or veto the bill, not 15.

it's a little more complex that that. I'm looking at Article III Section 31 of the MO Constitution here: http://www.sos.mo.gov/pubs/missouri_constitution.pdf

It says that basically, if the Legislature is in session, it's 15 days. If it's out of session, 45 days. Since they passed the bill on the last day of the session, Gov Nixon gets 45 days.

Jason

cshoff

it's a little more complex that that. I'm looking at Article III Section 31 of the MO Constitution here: http://www.sos.mo.gov/pubs/missouri_constitution.pdf

It says that basically, if the Legislature is in session, it's 15 days. If it's out of session, 45 days. Since they passed the bill on the last day of the session, Gov Nixon gets 45 days.

Jason

I don't know how it could be "more complex" than what I stated. He has 45 days to act on this bill. If he signs or allows it to "pocket pass", it becomes law on August 28.

kcgunfan

I don't know how it could be "more complex" than what I stated. He has 45 days to act on this bill. If he signs or allows it to "pocket pass", it becomes law on August 28.

The Governor does not have 45 days to sign a bill, nor does he have 15 days to sign a bill. The number changes depending on the status of the legislature. That make it more complex than either 15 or 45 days.

cshoff

The Governor does not have 45 days to sign a bill, nor does he have 15 days to sign a bill. The number changes depending on the status of the legislature. That make it more complex than either 15 or 45 days.

With THIS particular bill, he has 45 days to act on it. That's not too complex, I wouldn't think.