• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun ownership

justincpowell

can you own a handgun under the age of 21? lets say if you're 20 and its a gift, ive heard that you can you just cant be the purchaser. id like to know the legal route. id like to know the actual laws(so a reference would be nice) of our great natural state and id appreciate any input.

MKEgal

Mike said:
18-20 year olds must buy guns in private sales under federal law.
One of the nuttier quirks of Federal gun laws...

With all the wailing the anti's do about how background checks will solve all the world's ills, you'd think they'd be in support of changing the law so that young adults can buy through a dealer.

Or maybe they don't think that 18 - 20+364/365 y.o. people have any criminal background worth checking, that they can't be prohibited persons? Silly anti's.

nevinsb

heeeeey, what are you doing way over here? *runs back to WI section*

Aknazer

Don't forget that giving somebody who's 21+ the money to buy a handgun, and then gift it to you, is also a crime.

I'm just curious but how is that a crime if they give it to you as a gift. Or what about if they buy it and then the 18-20 year old simply buys it from the other person (since buying from a private individual isn't illegal).

KBCraig

Don't forget that giving somebody who's 21+ the money to buy a handgun, and then gift it to you, is also a crime.
I'm just curious but how is that a crime if they give it to you as a gift. Or what about if they buy it and then the 18-20 year old simply buys it from the other person (since buying from a private individual isn't illegal).
If you give them the money, and they "give" the gun to you, it's a straw purchase, and that is illegal.

Contrary to popular belief, the ultimate recipient doesn't have to be a prohibited person to make it a straw purchase. Any time the person conducting the transaction is making the purchase on behalf of someone else, other than a bona fide gift, it is an illegal straw purchase.

Straw purchases only apply to purchases made from FFLs, of course.

stuckinchico

If you give them the money, and they "give" the gun to you, it's a straw purchase, and that is illegal.

Contrary to popular belief, the ultimate recipient doesn't have to be a prohibited person to make it a straw purchase. Any time the person conducting the transaction is making the purchase on behalf of someone else, other than a bona fide gift, it is an illegal straw purchase.

Id straight tell them to prove it. If that friend doesnt say that he got the money from you. There is nothing that can be done . It would be a gift unless it can be proved otherwise

KBCraig

Id straight tell them to prove it. If that friend doesnt say that he got the money from you. There is nothing that can be done . It would be a gift unless it can be proved otherwise

You are correct, it's hard to prove... if both parties stick to the story. Do you know every aspect of this friend's life, and do you trust him to lose it all just to protect you?

Whether or not the AUSA can prove it doesn't determine whether or not it's illegal. It's illegal the moment the person filling out the 4473 says he's the "actual purchaser", when he's not.

For the record, I do not believe this should be the law, I merely recognize the fact that it is. "Hey, here's $600, pick me up a new SuperBlasto while you're at the gun show since I have to work!" should be every bit as legal as "Hey, here's twenty bucks, pick me up a case of beer while you're out."