Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Officer shot/killed because he had gun.. what would they do to you?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    144

    Officer shot/killed because he had gun.. what would they do to you?

    (a retired nyc cop who was out of NYC and a transit cop killed a cop answering a call). The friendly-fire shooting that cost a Long Island cop his life was a point-blank blunder that started when a retired cop with no business at the scene yelled, "Gun," an official said yesterday.

    Geoffrey Breitkopf, 40, was shot and killed Saturday by an MTA cop responding to a call at a Massapequa Park house where Nassau police had killed a knife-wielding Satan worshipper.

    The MTA officers were assisting county cops with mop-up duty when Nassau County Special Ops Officer Breitkopf arrived in a car with his partner, according to Nassau County Police Benevolent Association president James Carver.
    As Breitkopf walked toward the house in plain clothes with a rifle slung over his shoulder and his badge around his neck, an unidentified retired NYPD sergeant from the neighborhood -- milling around outside -- cried out, "Gun!" Carver said.

    One of the MTA cops tried to wrestle the rifle away, while the other, Glenn Gentile, fired a single shot, hitting Breitkopf in the side, Carver said.

    Gentile and his partner were then trying to handcuff the dying officer on the lawn when his hysterical partner ran over and cried, "He's one of us," according to Carver.

    "There's a lot of anger with my guys right now about this whole thing," Carver said. "My guy was dead before he hit the ground. He had no chance."

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees98a View Post
    (a retired nyc cop who was out of NYC and a transit cop killed a cop answering a call). The friendly-fire shooting that cost a Long Island cop his life was a point-blank blunder that started when a retired cop with no business at the scene yelled, "Gun," an official said yesterday.

    Geoffrey Breitkopf, 40, was shot and killed Saturday by an MTA cop responding to a call at a Massapequa Park house where Nassau police had killed a knife-wielding Satan worshipper.

    The MTA officers were assisting county cops with mop-up duty when Nassau County Special Ops Officer Breitkopf arrived in a car with his partner, according to Nassau County Police Benevolent Association president James Carver.
    As Breitkopf walked toward the house in plain clothes with a rifle slung over his shoulder and his badge around his neck, an unidentified retired NYPD sergeant from the neighborhood -- milling around outside -- cried out, "Gun!" Carver said.

    One of the MTA cops tried to wrestle the rifle away, while the other, Glenn Gentile, fired a single shot, hitting Breitkopf in the side, Carver said.

    Gentile and his partner were then trying to handcuff the dying officer on the lawn when his hysterical partner ran over and cried, "He's one of us," according to Carver.

    "There's a lot of anger with my guys right now about this whole thing," Carver said. "My guy was dead before he hit the ground. He had no chance."
    Do you have a link/source for this article? Thanks...

  3. #3
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066

    Here's a link

    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...er-Killed.html

    One of the articles I read said he was carrying a handgun. Sounds like the MTA officer thought he was the suspect with a weapon.

    Seems like the police there have an extreme fear of weapons.

    EDIT: Just found the above mentioned link that does say it was a rifle.

    If someone has a rifle slung on their shoulder and you don't trust them how hard is it to sight them and disarm them? Seriously.

    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/l...EHa16Y7h5QYVEN
    Last edited by sharkey; 03-15-2011 at 08:09 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY-CT
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...er-Killed.html

    One of the articles I read said he was carrying a handgun. Sounds like the MTA officer thought he was the suspect with a weapon.

    Seems like the police there have an extreme fear of weapons.

    EDIT: Just found the above mentioned link that does say it was a rifle.

    If someone has a rifle slung on their shoulder and you don't trust them how hard is it to sight them and disarm them? Seriously.

    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/l...EHa16Y7h5QYVEN
    There is more to this story that will never be released, but I am assured, contrary to the news reports, that the MTA Officer didn't just unjustifiably open fire on a guy casually walking around with a rifle. We'll just have to wait and see what the final story is as interviews are apparently ongoing.
    "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

  5. #5
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Read no charges will be filed. Makes sense, as in ny cops are above the law even when murdering another cop. Waiting for that ******* bloomberg to blame it on AZ.

  6. #6
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Read no charges will be filed. Makes sense, as in ny cops are above the law even when murdering another cop. Waiting for that ******* bloomberg to blame it on AZ.
    The proper course of action is to ban the police from carrying guns.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    There is more to this story that will never be released, but I am assured, contrary to the news reports, that the MTA Officer didn't just unjustifiably open fire on a guy casually walking around with a rifle.


    Is there a word for negative credibility? When someone's argument makes you believe the other side even more?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY-CT
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post


    Is there a word for negative credibility? When someone's argument makes you believe the other side even more?
    Apparently its one of those weird cop things where the true feelings and facts are kept in-house to their own detriment for the sake of the organization. I don't pretend to understand. Ever watch the movie Backdraft? Its sort of like that but with no indication of criminality. There is also the question of whether that was BS and the animosity stems from an exceptional officer making others look bad; either way, there are some heavy and secretive internal things being hinted at around here.
    Last edited by emsjeep; 03-17-2011 at 12:55 AM.
    "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

  9. #9
    Regular Member RussP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    Apparently its one of those weird cop things where the true feelings and facts are kept in-house to their own detriment for the sake of the organization. I don't pretend to understand. Ever watch the movie Backdraft? Its sort of like that but with no indication of criminality. There is also the question of whether that was BS and the animosity stems from an exceptional officer making others look bad; either way, there are some heavy and secretive internal things being hinted at around here.
    emsjeep, have you heard more to the story than is reported here? http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...cene_offi.html

    What are some of the secretive internal things you've heard about?
    Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

  10. #10
    Regular Member RussP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    393
    Back to the OP's question, "Officer shot/killed because he had gun.. what would they do to you?"
    Quote Originally Posted by yankees98a View Post
    ...As Breitkopf walked toward the house in plain clothes with a rifle slung over his shoulder...
    First, I do not know of anyone here on OCDO (other than I think Danbus many years ago) who would walk into an active police investigation, especially where shots were just fired, open carrying a firearm.

    Nor do I believe anyone here would advocate interjecting yourself into such a scene. If someone believes that's a prudent action, please correct me.
    Last edited by RussP; 03-17-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    144
    well it was a 2 yr retired nypd sergeant responsible for yelling gun.

    The retired NYPD sergeant under investigation for possibly triggering the friendly-fire death of a Long Island cop ignored commands to stop interfering at an ongoing crime scene, a police union official said Wednesday.

    "He would not leave," Nassau County Police Benevolent Association President James Carver said of John Cafarella, who allegedly barked orders after cops shot and killed a knife-wielding Satanist on Saturday night.

    "He should have gotten the hell out of the way."

    Cafarella then yelled "Gun!" when he spotted rifle-toting, plainclothes cop Geoffrey Breitkopf, 40, walking up to the home where Anthony DiGeronimo was killed about 10 minutes earlier.

    In the split-second chaos outside the Massapequa Park home, MTA cop Glen Gentile opened fire, hitting Breitkopf in the side, piercing his heart.

    Carver fumed as he described how Cafarella grabbed the M-4 rifle out of the dead officer's hands.

    "Geoff, at this time, is on the ground," Carver raged. "He's dead."

    Breitkopf, a Nassau police special operations officer, was a married father of two young boys from Selden, L.I. He was also a volunteer firefighter, and his wake was held Wednesday at the local firehouse, where he was laid out in his police uniform.

    Carver walked away from the crowd of Breitkopf's relatives and fellow cops to speak to reporters. He provided the first public account that seemed to explain why Gentile fired after Cafarella screamed "Gun!"
    Breitkopf approached the home's front lawn with his rifle slung over his shoulder on a strap and its muzzle pointing down.

    "The gun was never, ever pointed in any direction other than the ground," Carver said.

    Cafarella lives in the same neighborhood as DiGeronimo, and he saw the initial confrontation between the 21-year-old and cops. An NYPD source said Cafarella stayed at the scene so he could serve as a witness.
    When Cafarella sounded the fateful warning, a second MTA cop grabbed Breitkopf in an effort to stop him, Carver said.

    That touch turned Breitkopf's body slightly, leading the muzzle of his rifle to move into what may have seemed, from Gentile's perspective, like a firing position, Carver said.

    Gentile has reportedly been inconsolable since the tragedy. MTA spokesman Sal Arena said Gentile is currently on sick leave, and will be placed on administrative duty when he returns to work.

    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...#ixzz1Gv829EiJ

  12. #12
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066
    Is it normal to carry a rifle that is slung on your shoulder with your hands? Because if not this story has inconsistencies.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    396
    Wearing a uniform might have helped to prevent this situation. Cops who dress as everybody else on the street will sometimes be treated as anybody else on the street.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, California, USA
    Posts
    486

    Inany

    Disclaimer: I am Not A New Yorker (INANY)

    Do New York police officers ever see New Yorkers carrying guns?

    Do they think that any exposed firearm is a lethal threat?

    Since when is hand-to-hand combat, followed by lethal deployment of a sidearm justified because a person has an exposed gun?

    United States v. Ubilles: (3rd Circuit) Having a gun in a crowd is not a crime.

    Terry v. Ohio: (SCOTUS) RAS needed to detain with gun.

    United States v. King (10th Circuit) "...a firearm alone did not create a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity."

    I am asking a philosophical question here.

    Are New York cops so unaccustomed to seeing guns in public that they freak-out, wet their pants, draw their weapons and start shooting at the mere sight of a shouldered firearm?

    I am confused.

    If this story is true, New York cops need some serious de-programing. Talk about brainwashed.

    markm
    Last edited by MarkBofRAdvocate; 03-19-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: tried to fix Inany to INANY.

  15. #15
    Regular Member The Wolfhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697

    In a simple answer, YES

    The plebians of New York City are essentially forbidden firearms. "Man with a gun" is seen as a life threatening engagement by the NYPD. Anyone approaching the police, armed, MUST be a criminal as the "innocent" New Yorkers could not be armed. Circular thinking with the usual deadly results. All of it approved and sponsored by the politicians and the press working together to repress the rights of citizens.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Roseville, California, USA
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    The plebians of New York City are essentially forbidden firearms. "Man with a gun" is seen as a life threatening engagement by the NYPD. Anyone approaching the police, armed, MUST be a criminal as the "innocent" New Yorkers could not be armed. Circular thinking with the usual deadly results. All of it approved and sponsored by the politicians and the press working together to repress the rights of citizens.
    Hey Wolfhound,

    What about "...due process of the law," "...equal protection...," "...unreasoble searches and siezures," "...shall not be deprived of life and liberty unless convicted by a jury of thier piers," and "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed?"

    And then there is case law.

    Circular thinking is the correct term. Unbelievable.

    markm

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY-CT
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkBofRAdvocate View Post
    Hey Wolfhound,

    What about "...due process of the law," "...equal protection...," "...unreasoble searches and siezures," "...shall not be deprived of life and liberty unless convicted by a jury of thier piers," and "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed?"

    And then there is case law.

    Circular thinking is the correct term. Unbelievable.

    markm
    The cops kill people and laugh about it...do you really think they care about the law? Most of the time they are dealing with criminals and no one cares, every once in a while an innocent civilian is involved, and less often, another officer. They will blame the retired cop and everyone will move on.
    "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

  18. #18
    Regular Member The Wolfhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697

    I may only hear about the bad cases, but....

    Does anyone ever survive a police shooting in New York? It seems from my safe distance that the NYCPD is a tad on the trigger happy side and that the shooting stops only when the target is down and had stopped moving, breathing, living? So in effect, gun possession is a fatal "crime" in the eyes of the police in New York and they will never get punished for the trampling the rights of the unfortunate citizens? Officer Safety trumps any rights you once had. Now, there is Freedom for you. And people wonder why some of us detest The urban Northeast.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    635

    I've always heard...,

    that they take care of their own, does that mean they will do away with the retired officer somehow too, or will he be rehired?

    How do they score this one?

    sidestreet

    we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

  20. #20
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    My question is, it says he had a badge around his neck, and another officer tried to take the rifle away before the shot was fired.

    How stupid were the officers to NOT see the shiny badge around this guys neck? If you're trying to take a rifle away from a guy, you're RIGHT there, point blank, how can you not see it?

    Makes no sense, and the retired cop should sit around listening to a scanner, so he can run around and try to act like he's still on the force.

    He's an idiot, and I honestly think he should be charged.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Farmington, NM
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixalis View Post
    He's an idiot, and I honestly think he should be charged.
    +1
    If that were you or me they would charge you with it in a heart beat.



    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. Thomas Jefferson

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NY-CT
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by sidestreet View Post
    that they take care of their own, does that mean they will do away with the retired officer somehow too, or will he be rehired?

    How do they score this one?

    sidestreet

    we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.
    Active with another department trumps retired from another department. This will be hung on the retired cop. He acted stupidly and shouldn't have interfered, but you can't justify shooting someone because some jerkoff yelled "gun," in the vicinity of an active crime scene with 2 dozen people walking around with guns, in and out of uniform. I also don't know that it has been definitively established that he was wearing a badge or that it was necessarily on the outside or visible.
    "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Old Saybrook, CT
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    The plebians of New York City are essentially forbidden firearms. "Man with a gun" is seen as a life threatening engagement by the NYPD. Anyone approaching the police, armed, MUST be a criminal as the "innocent" New Yorkers could not be armed. Circular thinking with the usual deadly results. All of it approved and sponsored by the politicians and the press working together to repress the rights of citizens.
    This is the case with all urban cops.

    A friend lives in the sleepy little town of east hadam , CT. He has enough land to shoot legally in his yard.
    He was shooting clays with his son one day when a cop came screaming up his driveway and drew his gun. The cop was beligerent. My friend refused to put his gun down and demanded to know what the constable was doing.

    The cop said he heard gunshots. My friend said "Yeahs, thats because I'm shooting". My friend mentioned that he was friends with the local resident trooper. The constable scoffed.

    So my friend pulled out his cell phone and called the trooper. The trooper told my friend that the new constable was from Hartford and wasn't used to civilians having guns. At that point the trooper asked to speak to the constable. So my friend motioned the constable over and said "Here, your boss wants to talk to you".

    After giving back the phone the constable burned out of my friends driveway. Ha. I wish he had a camera.
    Last edited by dcmdon; 04-04-2011 at 10:05 PM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member The Wolfhound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Henrico, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    697

    Specially Priviledged Class

    The Cops and your friend too. Priviledges that the rest of us average Joes would not get. That ain't my definition of Liberty. It certainly is not protected RIGHTS. The territory of the North has been largely lost and the battle must be rejoined to bring it back under the banner of Liberty. Keep up the fight. Help wake up your neighbors. We can make things get better or we can lose more. Engage the enemies of Liberty in the war of ideas in public. Make them defend the taking away of rights.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    33
    How about instead of trying to figure out things we all have no real information regarding the incident yet and trying turn the cops into a villan...we go with this was a tragic accident that cost a family their loved one, and the cop that pulled the trigger is probably destroyed.

    I know we come to this forum to talk about open carry and the incidents surrounding it..but I really think it is too early to try to accuse anyone of anything.

    Sorry for the families.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •