• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2 open carry questions.(no "open carry" ordinances & stopped by police for OC)

Patriot2A

2 open carry questions.(no "open carry" ordinances & stopped by police for OC)

Hey guys, I'm in virginia, i need some advice/answers. My first question is about town ordinances. Are towns allowed to impose "no open carry" ordinances? I've heard this before but I've also heard that towns cannot trump state laws

My second question is about getting stopped by the police soley for open carrying. From what I've gathered the best thing I can do is this, ask if I am being detained, if I am then I should ask why, and if the reason has anything to do with carrying a gun then I should state that I am invoking my right to remain silent and not say a word regardless of what they tell me.

Also, what if they do not give me a straight answer about detainment? Such as telling me "maybe" or "we'll see", am I allowed to walk away if I get an answer like that?

I'd appreciate any answers, I'm really trying to get my facts down before I open carry every day.

Thanks, jack.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Regarding local OC ordinances in Va - nope, no can do.

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.
A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Only time an officer would not answer my question directly regarding detainment was when a female Sgt said, "Before I answer that I'd like to talk to you." We didn't talk, I walked. Hard to make an advance determination, but I do think most LEOs are going to give you a straight answer on that.

Jacketed

Question 1: Town ordinances do not "trump" state law.

Question 2: If you are approached by an officer and he/she has a problem with your open carry inform them of the second ammendment and ask them to contact state ploice cause in my experence a state trooper will ensure state laws are upheld.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Question 1: Town ordinances do not "trump" state law.

Question 2: If you are approached by an officer and he/she has a problem with your open carry inform them of the second ammendment and ask them to contact state ploice cause in my experence a state trooper will ensure state laws are upheld.

Actually and such local ordinance left on the books in Va. would be in violation of the state code - generally very easy to get removed.

I have never known a VSP trooper to respond/ step in to a "discussion" regarding right to carry laws and certainly not in another primary jurisdiction. Va. LEA do not hold court on the street - neither should we presume to do so.

t33j

Also, what if they do not give me a straight answer about detainment? Such as telling me "maybe" or "we'll see", am I allowed to walk away if I get an answer like that?

If you don't get a straight answer, just begin to walk away. Warn them before hand if you'd like. If they have enough to detain you, they will make it clear that they are placing you under detention. If not, you keep walking. I would very much want to have that conversation recorded.

I'd cite article I section 13 before the 2A, but I don't think it'd actually get me anywhere.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you don't get a straight answer, just begin to walk away. Warn them before hand if you'd like. If they have enough to detain you, they will make it clear that they are placing you under detention. If not, you keep walking. I would very much want to have that conversation recorded.

I'd cite article I section 13 before the 2A, but I don't think it'd actually get me anywhere.

Also, get and carry a small recorder. I like to make sure the Officer sees it and if told to turn it off, just say no!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
My second question is about getting stopped by the police soley for open carrying. From what I've gathered the best thing I can do is this, ask if I am being detained, if I am then I should ask why, and if the reason has anything to do with carrying a gun then I should state that I am invoking my right to remain silent and not say a word regardless of what they tell me.

This is one reason you don't ask an LEO, "Am I being detained?". Better to stated it this way; "Why am I being detained?". The difference is the keyword "why" because it begs an answer to your question. The other way can simply be ignored by the officer. He is virtually forced to tell you whether or not you are being detained when you begin your question with "why".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is one reason you don't ask an LEO, "Am I being detained?". Better to stated it this way; "Why am I being detained?". The difference is the keyword "why" because it begs an answer to your question. The other way can simply be ignored by the officer. He is virtually forced to tell you whether or not you are being detained when you begin your question with "why".

Why?

How?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Well, let's just look at how that turns out. Anybody know of a good example that could be looked at?

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, let's just look at how that turns out. Anybody know of a good example that could be looked at?

stay safe.

This was a particularly stupid cop and the kid really yanked his chain too long (although it is fun) . Virginia does have a bumper crop of this kind of cop though and this is a good example of how they can drag it out with BS.

[video=youtube;yY2cCPW3H7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY2cCPW3H7g&feature=related[/video]

This is better Skid

[video=youtube;4FzpUzPdoBg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FzpUzPdoBg&NR=1[/video]

Last edited:

t33j

This was a particularly stupid cop and the kid really yanked his chain too long (although it is fun) . Virginia does have a bumper crop of this kind of cop though and this is a good example of how they can drag it out with BS.
This is better Skid

Couldn't even watch past about 1 minute in to the first one.

As for the second, it's pretty clear that when the word cooperation is used, what's really meant is submission.

Last edited:

wylde007

Agreed, t33j

Both of those videos were excruciatingly uncomfortable to watch.

The fat sheriff in the first one should be run out on a rail for his fascist tendencies - see something, say something... ARREST SOMEONE!

The second guy lends an eerie statement when he says that we are "kinda free" and that we have lost some freedom because of terrorists.

Wrong, assgoblin. We have lost freedoms because of munchers like you and your handlers who keep passing spurious legislation providing disgruntled junior varsity enforcers the authority to intercept lawful citizens and interdict lawful acts.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The second guy lends an eerie statement when he says that we are "kinda free" and that we have lost some freedom because of terrorists.

Wrong, assgoblin. We have lost freedoms because of munchers like you and your handlers who keep passing spurious legislation providing disgruntled junior varsity enforcers the authority to intercept lawful citizens and interdict lawful acts.

I had to think about replying for a while Wilde....It's close to being out of the boards topic area.

While there are many that do not have some freedom now, it's because they gave it away, not because someone took it.
Granted, there is a serious attempt to take freedom, but for some of us...it ain't gonna happen.

Cops can ask or demand whatever they want. In some respects they always have. How we handle it determines if we still have our freedom or have given it up. Freedom is in the mind not in the neighborhood.

Videographer number two handled it pretty well.

I'll repeat a line some board members are familier with:

"I don't give a sh*t what the Captain wants!"

Last edited:

AIC869

Video #2 - what a nimrod (rent-a-cop). I'm willing to bet since it's a night shift he's tanked up on coffee. I have a strong bladder - let's see who wins. I like that once the guy goes back to shooting more photos, suddenly the cat's got the security guy's tongue.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
video two was indeed creepy... the cop didn't seem to be a jerk though, much like the first video

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
ask if I am being detained

No, ask WHY you are being detained. If you've been stopped; you're being detained! If you ask, you'll never get a straight answer and you'll just stand there, being detained, asking if you're being detained...

If you ask Why am I being detained, the concept of detainment is not in question. Which is also the reality of your situation.

The Officer either has a good reason for detaining you, or he doesn't. Don't let him dodge the issue by asking the wrong question.

Does a rape victim ask the rapist "are you raping me?" Would you get a sensible answer? Don't you already know?

If you feel you are not free to go, then you're being detained. It is not up to the Officer to define this for you. Don't give them any more power than they are already abusing.

By asking the right question, you establish for your voice recorder that you know you're being detained, and that he either has a good reason for, which he states, or he doesn't, which he either states or refuses to respond at all. Asking the right question puts the 'being civil' ball in his court, also. He can be an ass, or he can be a respectable human being. Instead of you being the one named as bad for refusing to talk, he is the one doing it.

Don't sell yourself out.