Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Florida Open Carry Bill HB 517 - Passed House Criminal Justice Subcommittee

Florida Open Carry Bill HB 517 - Passed House Criminal Justice Subcommittee

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...t|Local%20News

The House Criminal Justice Subcommittee voted 10-3 for the proposal by Rep. Chris Dorworth, R-Lake Mary, over the objections of law-enforcement lobbyists and representatives of retail merchants.

HB 517, not SB 517

yes

Title says SB
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Fantastic news. I'm so proud that the Sheriff's Association didn't have an effect on them.

And props to Mr. Julien, a democrat who voted in favor for it! I don't know much else about him, or the rest of the committee either, but I'm always glad to see reasonable representatives in both parties. I really didn't expect him to support it.

"Dorworth said his bill is only intended to protect licensed concealed-weapons carriers who inadvertently show their weapons."

Full stop. Hold it right there, wtf? Is this what we signed on for?

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    "Dorworth said his bill is only intended to protect licensed concealed-weapons carriers who inadvertently show their weapons."

Don't confuse what is said in committee debate for legal requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post

That's also what Marion Hammer said and Senator Evers intimated. However, if you read the bill, it clearly says you may carry openly.

Probably an attempt to make it more palatable. If this aspect of the bill is overemphasized, I'm nervous about a future committee amending it to say only that accidental exposure is not a crime. Watch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    That's also what Marion Hammer said and Senator Evers intimated. However, if you read the bill, it clearly says you may carry openly.

Probably an attempt to make it more palatable. If this aspect of the bill is overemphasized, I'm nervous about a future committee amending it to say only that accidental exposure is not a crime. Watch for it.
    They tried that already. The word "accidental" or "unintentional" is subjective language that has no place in this law.

Campus Carry killed in this bill as well, for the record.

Yes... "accidental" sounds like something that can only be decided in a court - a place none of us want to end up. The only way you really can protect from truly accidental exposure is to simply make all normal exposure legal.

Quote Originally Posted by pmcd95 View Post
    Campus Carry killed in this bill as well, for the record.
    Let the dirty hippies get robbed/raped/killed.

If parents hate their own college brats this much, let them reap what they sow.

The LEOs already brought up one example of what gun bans cause, and used it an an excuse to persist in gun bans...

Herp-a-derp!
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    Let the dirty hippies get robbed/raped/killed.

If parents hate their own college brats this much, let them reap what they sow.

The LEOs already brought up one example of what gun bans cause, and used it an an excuse to persist in gun bans...

Herp-a-derp!
    No chance was given to defend campus carry. It should have probably been in a separate bill/different time in all honesty. I remember when I was at UCF the attempts to keep the crime reports quiet. What the enemy says is fairly accurate; that the campuses themselves are not more dangerous than, say, a shopping mall. The incessant muggings, rapes, gang bang rapes, B&E's, kidnappings, brutal murders, etc, happened just OUTSIDE campus. What nobody for the bill got to point out was that people are necessarily disarmed AROUND campus, by virtue of the IN campus gun ban. Yes, a non-student can't get in trouble for the gun in a glovebox, but a student can. Regardless many people walk, bike, or take school shuttles. And so when the girl gets off the shuttle to her apartment, that is when the local diversity sneaks up behind her, forces into the apartment, calls his buddies, and then rapes and tortures for hours.

No chance was given to defend campus carry. It should have probably been in a separate bill/different time in all honesty. I remember when I was at UCF the attempts to keep the crime reports quiet. What the enemy says is fairly accurate; that the campuses themselves are not more dangerous than, say, a shopping mall. The incessant muggings, rapes, gang bang rapes, B&E's, kidnappings, brutal murders, etc, happened just OUTSIDE campus. What nobody for the bill got to point out was that people are necessarily disarmed AROUND campus, by virtue of the IN campus gun ban. Yes, a non-student can't get in trouble for the gun in a glovebox, but a student can. Regardless many people walk, bike, or take school shuttles. And so when the girl gets off the shuttle to her apartment, that is when the local diversity sneaks up behind her, forces into the apartment, calls his buddies, and then rapes and tortures for hours.
    My policy - "Stick my Kel Tec in my pocket, screw those who want me dead. I'm not hurting anyone. The gun ban is. Ignore it."

I realize that refusing to sit in the back of the bus has it's risks. I'm not promoting that others should do as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    My policy - "Stick my Kel Tec in my pocket, screw those who want me dead. I'm not hurting anyone. The gun ban is. Ignore it."

I realize that refusing to sit in the back of the bus has it's risks. I'm not promoting that others should do as I do.
    Ixtow, you are missing the point of "sitting in the back of the bus". Rosa Parks did what she did as an OPEN defiant act. Carrying a pistol in your pocket is in no way the same.

Now What?

So whats the next step?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod0990 View Post
    So whats the next step?
    Senate Judiciary Committee & House Agriculture and Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee

Now What?

Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    Senate Judiciary Committee & House Agriculture and Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee
    After that goes to Gov. to sign? Or am I being premature on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod0990 View Post
    After that goes to Gov. to sign? Or am I being premature on this?
    Then to Senate Rules and House Judiciary Committees;

Then to the Senate and House Floors for wide debate and votes;

Then to Bill Enrolling to be sent to the Gov.

And to preempt your next question:

Effective Date: upon becoming a law
    (The second the last "t" in Scott is crossed.)

Now What?

So were problably looking at how long as far as a timeline? I know these things are unpredictable but Im curious to know if this is something thats gonna takes months or weeks.

My guess, 20-45 days
    Last edited by StogieC; 03-15-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Wow not bad....thanks StogieC.

Angry

What nobody for the bill got to point out was that people are necessarily disarmed AROUND campus, by virtue of the IN campus gun ban. Yes, a non-student can't get in trouble for the gun in a glovebox, but a student can. Regardless many people walk, bike, or take school shuttles. And so when the girl gets off the shuttle to her apartment, that is when the local diversity sneaks up behind her, forces into the apartment, calls his buddies, and then rapes and tortures for hours.
    That's my problem with not being able to store a weapon in my car on a military installation. I'm not so worried while I'm at work, (but I am aware it is possible, i.e. Fort Hood) it's when I'm stopping to get gas or groceries on the way home. I've been driving home from work at 0100 in the morning and passing murder scenes... It's like seriously? I can serve my country and put my life on the line for my government, but you're going to disarm me when I have to stop at 10 lights on a street where it isn't out of the norm to see the damn CSI people chalking out bodies at 0100 in the morning? These politicians don't give a rat's ass about my family or my contribution to my country. Now I carry an ASP baton in my car door. Thanks politicians...while driving home I have a f*#cking STICK to protect myself (as if that can help me if I get held at gun point at a red light, fully seated in a car). A stick....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast