• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Open Carry Bill HB 517 - Passed House Criminal Justice Subcommittee

Rod0990

Now What?

So were problably looking at how long as far as a timeline? I know these things are unpredictable but Im curious to know if this is something thats gonna takes months or weeks.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
What nobody for the bill got to point out was that people are necessarily disarmed AROUND campus, by virtue of the IN campus gun ban. Yes, a non-student can't get in trouble for the gun in a glovebox, but a student can. Regardless many people walk, bike, or take school shuttles. And so when the girl gets off the shuttle to her apartment, that is when the local diversity sneaks up behind her, forces into the apartment, calls his buddies, and then rapes and tortures for hours.

That's my problem with not being able to store a weapon in my car on a military installation. I'm not so worried while I'm at work, (but I am aware it is possible, i.e. Fort Hood) it's when I'm stopping to get gas or groceries on the way home. I've been driving home from work at 0100 in the morning and passing murder scenes... It's like seriously? I can serve my country and put my life on the line for my government, but you're going to disarm me when I have to stop at 10 lights on a street where it isn't out of the norm to see the damn CSI people chalking out bodies at 0100 in the morning? These politicians don't give a rat's ass about my family or my contribution to my country. Now I carry an ASP baton in my car door. Thanks politicians...while driving home I have a f*#cking STICK to protect myself (as if that can help me if I get held at gun point at a red light, fully seated in a car). A stick....

j4l

"Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee "

And what,exactly, do these clowns have to do with anything? They suddenly have some natural resource stake in the domestic manufacture of arms and munitions, or leather-goods for holsters? :banghead: :banghead:

Or do they just have some insecure need to feel "included" as if they are somehow participating in some arcane process?

~*'Phoenix'*~

Not to be optimistic, but it could be an arcane attempt in our favor: The speaker of the house/president of the senate decide which committees the bills go through. Speaker Cannon could simply have chosen to put it into a committee he knows will pass it on.

j4l

well maybe hopefully-but given my (mostly) dismal hope in politicos these days......if the folks of a given committee are less than knowledgeable about the subject-matter...there's always that concern of them "fearing that which they dont understand, also" ...but, who knows..

77zach

That's my problem with not being able to store a weapon in my car on a military installation. I'm not so worried while I'm at work, (but I am aware it is possible, i.e. Fort Hood) it's when I'm stopping to get gas or groceries on the way home. I've been driving home from work at 0100 in the morning and passing murder scenes... It's like seriously? I can serve my country and put my life on the line for my government, but you're going to disarm me when I have to stop at 10 lights on a street where it isn't out of the norm to see the damn CSI people chalking out bodies at 0100 in the morning? These politicians don't give a rat's ass about my family or my contribution to my country. Now I carry an ASP baton in my car door. Thanks politicians...while driving home I have a f*#cking STICK to protect myself (as if that can help me if I get held at gun point at a red light, fully seated in a car). A stick....

You understand what our rulers really think of you. All that stuff about "supporting our troops" is just propaganda. Slaves are only permitted to be armed when in immediate service of the Emperor or the Empire. Look it up.

j4l

Yes, and no. It depends where you are, and who's in power at the time. Back when I was stationed in Arizona for a couple of years, I open -carried my 1911 on and off-base with no issues at all.

bushwacker

That's also what Marion Hammer said and Senator Evers intimated. However, if you read the bill, it clearly says you may carry openly.

Probably an attempt to make it more palatable. If this aspect of the bill is overemphasized, I'm nervous about a future committee amending it to say only that accidental exposure is not a crime. Watch for it.

well if this happens then just carry open and if approached , cover it and then just say oh! that was an accident...:D

rvrctyrngr

Yes, and no. It depends where you are, and who's in power at the time. Back when I was stationed in Arizona for a couple of years, I open -carried my 1911 on and off-base with no issues at all.

The Navy bases where I served allowed you to check your personal weapon in/out of the Security office. 9/11 changed a lot of things.

skk123

It is the AGRICULTURE and Natural Resources appropriations subcommittee and if i'm not mistaken doesn't the Dept of Agriculture include the Division of Licensing, which would have plenty to do with the situation at hand.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
It is the AGRICULTURE and Natural Resources appropriations subcommittee and if i'm not mistaken doesn't the Dept of Agriculture include the Division of Licensing, which would have plenty to do with the situation at hand.

Exactimundo!

~*'Phoenix'*~

A & NR committee has, I count about 8 solidly pro-gun reps, out of 15, with probably only 4 who are definitely anti's. Even if all the other 7 go against, it should still pass though

bushwacker

The Navy bases where I served allowed you to check your personal weapon in/out of the Security office. 9/11 changed a lot of things.

in hurricane katrina I had to check my gun at security entrance and when I left , I called the armory and meet them at the gate to get it back , but a year later i went to a base in kansas and gave them my heater for check in but they gave me a three year pass to carry on base , it had to be unloaded and in sidebox , then the next day at a base in colo they told me to go on in and keep it in the truck ,now i have come to some bases that have signs no weapons , when asked what to do, cause I have their freight and not going to go back to tx to take gun home ,they say don.t bring it out and don't say anything about it or go around the block and drop it off at your house right ? but I have found that you can take them to places to be held till you get off base like gun stores/shops cop stations. sneak it into locker in bome bus stations . if you really have too So it seems to me that rules vary from base to base. even tho bringing weapons on fed property is going into the _no__ no_

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Ixtow, you are missing the point of "sitting in the back of the bus". Rosa Parks did what she did as an OPEN defiant act. Carrying a pistol in your pocket is in no way the same.

OK, you're half right, and I'm half right.

I paint myself white and refuse to sit at the back of the bus. My life is worth a little paint.