• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This was unnecessary

Edward Peruta

RETURN DATE:
JANUARY 11, 2011: SUPERIOR COURT

CONNECTICUT BOARD
OF JUDICIAL DISTRICT OF HARTFORD

FIREARMS
PERMIT EXAMINERS

V.

GERALD D. NAROWSKI, CHIEF OF :

POLICE FOR THE TOWN OF DERBY :
POLICE DEPARTMENT

DECEMBER 8,2010
VERIFIED COMPLAINT SEEKING

APPLICATION FOR

WRIT OF MANDAMUS

This petition and complaint is presented and brought pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes § 29-32b(e).

The plaintiff is the State of Connecticut Board of Firearms Permit Examiners and is an agency within the Department of Public Safety for administrative purposes only, pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes §29-32b(a), to inquire into and determine
facts, de novo, whether there is just and proper cause to deny or revoke a permit to carry a pistol.

The defendant is Gerald D. Narowski, and is Chief of Police, Town of Derby
Police Department.

On January 8, 2009, the defendant denied Mr. Stanley A. Angel a permit to carry
pistols and revolvers.

On May 4, 2009, Mr. Stanley A. Angel appealed the decision of the defendant.

In accordance with Connecticut General Statutes 29-32b(b), the plaintiff held a hearing on May 25, 2010 to determine whether the defendant has just and proper cause to deny Mr. Stanley A. Angel a permit to carry pistbls and revolvers.

At the hearing, the defendant failed to submit any evidence demonstrating the unsuitability of Mr. Stanley A. Angel.

On May 25, 2010, pursuant to Section 29-32b of the Connecticut General Statutes, the plaintiff voted to order the defendant to issue Mr. Stanley A. Angel a pistol permit to carry pistols and revolvers.

A memorandum of decision was sent to plaintiff on June 23, 2010 in which the defendant was ordered to issue Mr. Stanley A. Angel a pistol permit to carry pistols and revolvers.

The defendant has neglected or refused to comply with the decision of the plaintiff within ten days of having received the decision.

The decision of the plaintiff was not appealed by the defendant, in accordance
with C.G.S. §4-183.

Having failed to appeal the decision of the plaintiff, the defendant has a ministerial, statutory duty to comply with the plaintiff's order and issue a permit to Mr. Stanley A. Angel.

The defendant continues to refuse to comply with the decision of the plaintiff despite repeated attempts by the Office of the Attorney General to resolve the issue prior to filing application for writ of mandamus.

PRAYER
FOR RELIEF

1. Issue a writ of mandamus compelling the defendant to issue Mr. Stanley

________________________ A. Angel a pistol permit to carry
pistols-and-revolvers.___________________________________________________________________

PLAINTIFF,

BOARD OF FIREARMS PERMIT EXAMINERS

Last edited:

Good Citizen

?? Why was the PD Compled not to Comply ??

:confused::confused::confused:????????????????????????Why did the Derby PD, defy the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners and Rufuse to work with the Attorney General's office, & go to such great lengths to do so[SIZE="4"]????????????????????????????????????????????????[/SIZE]:confused::confused::confused:

Leverdude

I'm curious how such dereliction of duty by a sworn officer and refusal to abide by a court decision is not a criminal offense. Is it not a crime to ignore a court decision?

AGust82

It's completely ridiculous that it even has to come to this. The town police should have no part in issuing a STATE granted right.

KIX

This is why I'm working on the suitability mess.

However, the bill that may become law, requiring 8 weeks is a step in the right direction..... sorta.

At least, this will be a law. But, I dunno what would really happen if a chief didn't comply.... I doubt they'll end up in jail!

Jonathan

sharkey

It's completely ridiculous that it even has to come to this. The town police should have no part in issuing a STATE granted right.

Sorry to be nit-picky but that's recognized, and poorly at that. States and governments do not grant rights, they encumber them.

Last edited:

KIX

Not really nit picky, IMHO.

I hear all to often people that think rights are GRANTED. They are rights for a reason..... they are inherent.

The more the authorities keep making you think you have to ask permission, the "grant" ideology seems to settle in peoples minds.

Jonathan

dcmdon

I'm new to this whole discussion, but please let me know if I've got this right.

The chief refuses to issue a permit even though the BFPE ordered him to do so 2 years ago.

Where has this left the original applicant?? Without a permit for 2 years?

Or were there other administrative ways around this??

What will the punishment be against the chief?
I doubt the BFPE will go for financial renumerations.

I'm kindof confused here.

one other question. Am I correct that if the BFPE orders a chief to issue and refuse, there is no other way to get an applicant a permit??

Don

Gunslinger

I'm curious how such dereliction of duty by a sworn officer and refusal to abide by a court decision is not a criminal offense. Is it not a crime to ignore a court decision?

Contempt. But a writ of Mandamus is the usual remedy in these circumstances. If that is not followed, sanctions will be taken by the court.

Leverdude

Contempt. But a writ of Mandamus is the usual remedy in these circumstances. If that is not followed, sanctions will be taken by the court.

What sort of "sanctions"? My point is, imo, the officer should face criminal charges. I think a large part of our problem is that we treat LEO as above the law. They should be subject to the same laws & restrictions the reszt of us are. In this case he is denying a persons civil rights and his ability to defend himself. At the very least immediate irreversible termination would be apropriate.

On another note our LEO personell should be made to obtain & maintain pistol permits on their own dime just like the rest of us as well. Often they are still going to work every day & carrying a gun after instances that would have us regular guys disarmed.

Gunslinger

What sort of "sanctions"? My point is, imo, the officer should face criminal charges. I think a large part of our problem is that we treat LEO as above the law. They should be subject to the same laws & restrictions the reszt of us are. In this case he is denying a persons civil rights and his ability to defend himself. At the very least immediate irreversible termination would be apropriate.

On another note our LEO personell should be made to obtain & maintain pistol permits on their own dime just like the rest of us as well. Often they are still going to work every day & carrying a gun after instances that would have us regular guys disarmed.

Sanctions for contempt can be fines or jail. For an attorney, it could be disbarment. Barry Bonds's trainer has been in jail for a long time because he refuses to testify against him, for example. Charge? Contempt of Court.