Thread: Open carry at the gym?

Open carry at the gym?

I feel silly asking this question as my gut tells me that common sense trumps legality but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what other opinions are.

I live in North Carolina where OC is legal. I have been carrying concealed for 10 years and only recently started coming around to the concept of OC.

I am a member of a fitness center/gym and haven't seen any signage against carrying firearms.

How do y'all feel about carrying into the gym (in my street clothes prior to changing into my workout clothes, which is typically shorts and a t-shirt).

The main thing that's preventing me from doing this is that I'd have to lock the gun in the locker while I'm working out and the gym states very clearly that they are not responsible for stolen valuables. I think the odds of someone busting my lock and stealing the gun in a very public locker room are slim but it's still a remote possibility.

I run the same risk leaving it locked in my car except nobody will know it's there because they didn't see me carrying it.

Thoughts?

Locker room thefts in gyms are more common than most people want to admit, its not worth the risk. As far as leaving it in the car, look into the Nano Vault models by Gunvault. I have one in each of my vehicles and its an extra safety option for me. It's great to have especially if I choose to go somewhere or do something that's contrary to standard gun safety or according to my state's gun laws (i.e. having a beer after work)

I'd say stop wearing shorts and carry concealed on your ankle...I carry a lil .38 when working out.

Quote Originally Posted by cyras21 View Post
    I'd say stop wearing shorts and carry concealed on your ankle...I carry a lil .38 when working out.
    I wonder how that would work while doing Body Combat (mixed martial arts)?

I'm in Texas with no Open Carry (yet). I go to a gym but don't bring my gun. I've talked to a LEO that works out there and he keeps his firearm in gym bag that goes where he goes. Not open, but he can get to it in a hurry if needed and most don't know he's a LEO. Most LEO's are on duty 24/7 so he needs to keep it nearby. There have been lockers broken into at this gym. And they have an (unarmed, meaning no gun, not armless - is there a difference?) security guard, walking around in the parking lot.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do *they* not understand?

I just carry a very small .380 (Ruger LCP) while I workout, it provides defense but is small enough that I can wear it in a belly band without issue. I do weight training and run about four miles every time I workout. It's worked pretty well so far.

Why not use a fanny pack? My take is that inside the gym there is not a real reason to be in condition orange (green-orange-red) so the fact that I'd need more time to access the HG would not be at issue. As I'm leaving the gym, in the privacy of the locker room, I'd move the HG to a sweatsuit jacket pocket.

Yes, it's off the body, but if you analyze the situation, it seems prudent enough.

Ask for a copy of the gym policies and procedures, pretty sure you can find items they restrict listed there. At least that was the case with 24 hour fitness, which explicitly states no firearms allowed in the policy. I'd hazard a guess and say that many gyms carry such a policy.

I don't believe it's prudent to carry to a gym. I especially don't believe it's prudent to open carry.

The reasons are that first and foremost, muzzle control is out the window. Your muzzle will, as a matter of fact, be covering other gym users as you work out on various machines, grossly violating the 4 rules, and very possibly state law.

Next is the concern that depending on the size of the gun, it may be hard to even use the machines while carrying it. It could also damage some fabric to have a holstered gun on. Retention could also be a concern, depending on how you were carrying, and with open carry you'd have to worry if there might be anyone there that would try a grab while you are in some strange position lifting weights. And that's all just assuming you won't get kicked out, or that they won't immediately adopt a no weapons policy.

All this is why I carry a knife to the gym.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bradburn View Post
    I feel silly asking this question as my gut tells me that common sense trumps legality but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what other opinions are.

I live in North Carolina where OC is legal. I have been carrying concealed for 10 years and only recently started coming around to the concept of OC.

I am a member of a fitness center/gym and haven't seen any signage against carrying firearms.

How do y'all feel about carrying into the gym (in my street clothes prior to changing into my workout clothes, which is typically shorts and a t-shirt).

The main thing that's preventing me from doing this is that I'd have to lock the gun in the locker while I'm working out and the gym states very clearly that they are not responsible for stolen valuables. I think the odds of someone busting my lock and stealing the gun in a very public locker room are slim but it's still a remote possibility.

I run the same risk leaving it locked in my car except nobody will know it's there because they didn't see me carrying it.

Thoughts?
    Simply check the Gym and its policy. If they dont say anything about OC then I would say do itjust be safe keeping others in mind. Watch the excercises you do and always keep safety as #1 precaution. If they frown on it they will let you know and they have the right to ask you to leave or take the gun out off the premises. Its that simple.