• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Summer trip from Utah

LovesHisXD45

Hey there. I will be traveling to NC this summer to the nice little town of Andrews up in the mountains. I'll be flying in to Asheville. I have all of the info for getting my sidearm from here to there legally. I have researched the firearms laws for the state and have some concerns about the wishy-washy rhetoric on the books. I'm torn now on whether to conceal or just open carry while I'm there.

Perhaps you fine folks could give me some pointers and some advice on which route would be the best. I don't plan on going into any banks, Federal or State buildings. I will be doing some river rafting and things like that. This is where it gets annoying with regard to concealing or carrying open. You have to "pay" the rafting company to "get in" to the "venue" so to speak, so interpreting whether it is legal to carry my gun with me while we are rafting is questionable. I am frustrated with the laws there. I have a valid Utah CCW and will be carrying a Springfield XD 45 4" in a Blade Tech Hybrid Leather holster that can be configured to be either inside the pants for concealed carry or outside on the belt for open carry.

What say ye?

Thanks,

Kevin

M

mattwestm

You'll be okay. The law you are speaking about only talks about "paying admission." This would be a movie theater, state fair, etc. You are right though, laws in NC are very vague. Someone else will probably chime in with some better info.

You won't have any problems OCing in NC as long as you don't carry anywhere you aren't supposed to.

sultan62

I don't know. IMO, you'd be fine to carry, but that's my interpretation of a very unclear law.

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. said:
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

(b) This section shall not apply to the following:

(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;

(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;

(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and

(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

One of my favorite places that admission is charged is the shooting range...:banghead:

muccione

its places that you pay admission get it.... You dont pay admission get into a range... you pay to USE the range...

You pay admission to a theater... Gun show.... Carrowinds...

Your going to pay to USE the rafts... Not to watch people go rafting...

Northerner

its places that you pay admission get it.... You dont pay admission get into a range... you pay to USE the range...

You pay admission to a theater... Gun show.... Carrowinds...

Your going to pay to USE the rafts... Not to watch people go rafting...

I have Open Carried Empty at the gun shows....:lol: ...and I carry a magazine in my back pocket. Never had an issue. The last time the Sheriff didn't even know I had a sidearm on my hip, before putting away his slice of pizza to zip tie my gun. :eek:

I wouldn't allow him to touch my gun till he wiped his hands (grease) and he did not have any napkins, so he wiped them on his uniform pants. I about sh!t myself laughing so hard.

LovesHisXD45

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like everything will be ok for me either way then. I actually grew up in Kernersville NC and once lived in Greensboro as well. It will be great to see family at the reunion that I haven't seen in years. I'm totally excited! :)

Kevin

LovesHisXD45

Arghghg. I just realized something else too. We will probably be eating out quite a bit during the week. Do most restaurants serve alcohol around those parts? This bites. We'll be sitting ducks and fish in a barrel if I can't carry whenever we go out to eat. This is annoying.

Kevin

M

mattwestm

Yep, it's really annoying. Most chain restaurants serve alcohol. The only places that usually don't are Chinese, barbecue, some burger joints, and Cracker Barrel. I almost always call ahead if I'm going somewhere new and aren't sure if they serve alcohol. While you are out here, I really suggest trying some NC style BBQ and Cracker Barrel!

LovesHisXD45

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am actually considering just going on this trip unarmed. The laws there are so freaking jacked up, it's just not worth the risk. Maybe I'll just carry some sharp rocks around in my pockets or a stupid pocket knife since that seems to be the only personal defense tools that the idiot state legislators there won't toss your butt in jail for. Good lord, I'm glad I moved from there, and I "ain't" never movin back. Besides, I don't miss the humidity, cock roaches or the copper head snakes that tried to kill me several times when I was a kid. :)

I got half a mind to send some letters to the idiot legislators and tell them to stop smoking crack. It's nice to be able to carry my sidearm in the open in an elementary school here and get compliments from the parents and thanked for being armed. Utah rocks! Armed citizens make people feel safe here. There is too much Brady cola in the drinking water back east.

Kevin

M

mattwestm

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am actually considering just going on this trip unarmed. The laws there are so freaking jacked up, it's just not worth the risk. Maybe I'll just carry some sharp rocks around in my pockets or a stupid pocket knife since that seems to be the only personal defense tools that the idiot state legislators there won't toss your butt in jail for. Good lord, I'm glad I moved from there, and I "ain't" never movin back. Besides, I don't miss the humidity, cock roaches or the copper head snakes that tried to kill me several times when I was a kid. :)

I got half a mind to send some letters to the idiot legislators and tell them to stop smoking crack. It's nice to be able to carry my sidearm in the open in an elementary school here and get compliments from the parents and thanked for being armed. Utah rocks! Armed citizens make people feel safe here. There is too much Brady cola in the drinking water back east.

Kevin

Carrying here really isn't as bad as it seems. Still, I can't wait to move to a "free state" in a year or so. Most of us can't believe that NC is listed as a gold star OC state. It really is very limiting carrying here. The further south and the further west you move, the more free it is. Most of the restrictive laws in NC are left over from the civil rights days, thus leaving NC with a bad reputation.

Every time I hear someone not from the south talking about moving here, they ask about snakes and roaches. I've never had a roach in my apartment here, but there were a few in my parents house over the years. And for snakes, I've never seen one except in the woods. I've also had people ask me about spiders too... Do snakes, spiders, and roaches not exist besides down south?

LovesHisXD45

lol It's too arrid and dry for most critters the farther west your go. The harsh winters kill most anything that migrates here from other places too, so people moving from other parts of the country or the world don't tend to contaminate the local ecology as badly because of that. We have some nasty little Hobo and Brown Recluse spiders here, but they are localized to rural areas near the benches or areas people do not frequent often. I have run into several rattle snakes but only while hiking in the mountains. They are highly uncommon in places where there are any concentrations of people, but at least they make some noise when you are coming up on them. Those darn copper heads in the tall grass are on your buttox before you know it back there. :)