• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting OC case ... acquitted

Felix

Glad he won. Now I can hope his civil suit(s) will be successful and hit that AZ county hard in the pocketbook for the arbitrary and vindictive behavior.

sharkey

From the article:

but deny access to the defendant because he had a 'holstered' pitchfork was arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable,

How do you "holster" a pitchfork?

hogeaterf6

Or if it was sawed off. :) Wonder it if it had 3 tines or was it one of them 'high capacity' 4 prong models?

Custom Volusia

I'll say it. He WAS tresspassing. The same rule applys there..if you are asked to leave and you don't, you're tresspassing. End of story. He was asked to leave and he didn't. Now, the reason he was asked to leave is retarded and should have resulted in an internal memo spelling out what exactly the policy is...allowing holstered handguns in but not 'holstered' pitchforks....but the reason matters little at the actual point of interaction. Asked to leave by the person that has the authority to do so...didn't leave.

Now the other things that he is looking at filing suit for...unreasonable bail..case left off the docket..all that..go for it.

But he was tresspassing.

hotrod

I'll say it. He WAS tresspassing. The same rule applys there..if you are asked to leave and you don't, you're tresspassing. End of story. He was asked to leave and he didn't. Now, the reason he was asked to leave is retarded and should have resulted in an internal memo spelling out what exactly the policy is...allowing holstered handguns in but not 'holstered' pitchforks....but the reason matters little at the actual point of interaction. Asked to leave by the person that has the authority to do so...didn't leave.

Now the other things that he is looking at filing suit for...unreasonable bail..case left off the docket..all that..go for it.

But he was tresspassing.

Nope, not trespassing. You cannot give an illegal order (and that is what it was) and then charge a citizen with a crime. This took place on public property, not private, therefore trespassing is not the same. Trespassing on public property must include a crime, which is what they thought they had. The gentleman carrying the pitchfork was committing no crime, but law enforcement thought he was (ie. carrying a pitchfork). The judge ruled correctly, because he broke no law, he cannot be removed from public property.

Fallschirjmäger

But he was tresspassing.

You can say it, but it doesn't necessarily make it true.
Y'know ..... IF he was trespassing and it's so obvious, I kinda wonder why he was acquitted. And can you trespass on Public Property if you as a member of the Public have a reason to be there?
KINGMAN - A Kingman man has been acquitted of trespassing charges more than a year after he attempted to bring a pitchfork into the county administration building. Judge Pro-tempore Paul Julien ruled March 5 that Mervin Fried was not guilty of third-degree trespassing.

Last edited:

MKEgal

hogeater said:
Wonder it if it had 3 tines or was it one of them 'high capacity' 4 prong models?
Looking at the picture at the top of the article, it's clearly an evil 6-pronged assault pitchfork with curved tines. Looks like the tines might even be black. No wonder they stopped him!

How's this for "reasoning"?:
Walker [county manager] said when he stopped Fried [citizen carrying the Evil Black 6-pronged Assault Pitchfork] at the door and asked him to leave the pitchfork outside, Fried asked "Why?" He testified that based on that response he didn't know what Fried might do and decided that he might be a threat.
What an utter idiot!!!
Here's a citizen requiring a public official to explain himself, and the public official takes a simple question as a threat.
Maybe Mr. Walker was formerly in law enforcement? That sort of 'thinking' has been shown much too often by members of that profession.