• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB129 - Unlicensed open carry bill passes Oklahoma Senate, moves to House

hrdware

Not going to happen this week

The public Safety Committee will not be hearing this bill this week. They still have 2 more weeks in which to hear it. I called Rep Tibbs office and asked her assistant if she will be having a hearing on it or not but she did not know. So I then requested to leave a message that she give it a hearing.

Rep Tibbs phone number is (405) 557-7379. Her email address is suetibbs@okhouse.gov Feel free to call or email and nicely request that she give this bill a hearing.

Last edited:

JBURGII

The public Safety Committee will not be hearing this bill this week. They still have 2 more weeks in which to hear it. I called Rep Tibbs office and asked her assistant if she will be having a hearing on it or not but she did not know. So I then requested to leave a message that she give it a hearing.

Rep Tibbs phone number is (405) 557-7379. Her email address is suetibbs@okhouse.gov Feel free to call or email and nicely request that she give this bill a hearing.

I was burning up the phone lines last week, this week we are e-mailing....

hrdware

I was burning up the phone lines last week, this week we are e-mailing....

Since you are e-mailing, I'll help you out a bit. Here is a list of e-mail addresses for every member of the Public Safety Committee in the House. I don't know if individual members can sway the chair to have a hearing, but it couldn't hurt to drop them each a quick note.

suetibbs@okhouse.gov;
stevemartin@okhouse.gov;
john.bennett@okhouse.gov;
josh.cockroft@okhouse.gov;
tommy.hardin@okhouse.gov;
fred.jordan@okhouse.gov;
al.mcaffrey@okhouse.gov;
pampeterson@okhouse.gov;
paulroan@okhouse.gov;
steve.vaughan@okhouse.gov;
ed.cannaday@okhouse.gov;
dougcox@okhouse.gov;
chuck.hoskin@okhouse.gov;
charlie.joyner@okhouse.gov;
pat.ownbey@okhouse.gov;
brian.renegar@okhouse.gov;
todd.thomsen@okhouse.gov

Happy e-mailing.:lol:

JBURGII

Since you are e-mailing, I'll help you out a bit. Here is a list of e-mail addresses for every member of the Public Safety Committee in the House. I don't know if individual members can sway the chair to have a hearing, but it couldn't hurt to drop them each a quick note.

suetibbs@okhouse.gov;
stevemartin@okhouse.gov;
john.bennett@okhouse.gov;
josh.cockroft@okhouse.gov;
tommy.hardin@okhouse.gov;
fred.jordan@okhouse.gov;
al.mcaffrey@okhouse.gov;
pampeterson@okhouse.gov;
paulroan@okhouse.gov;
steve.vaughan@okhouse.gov;
ed.cannaday@okhouse.gov;
dougcox@okhouse.gov;
chuck.hoskin@okhouse.gov;
charlie.joyner@okhouse.gov;
pat.ownbey@okhouse.gov;
brian.renegar@okhouse.gov;
todd.thomsen@okhouse.gov

Happy e-mailing.:lol:

Excellent! I will get to work on those immediately. I have been on a word of mouth campaign down here in Grady County since I got here, trying to raise awareness of the issue and get people involved. I have had limited success so far but its better than nothing.

hrdware

Excellent! I will get to work on those immediately. I have been on a word of mouth campaign down here in Grady County since I got here, trying to raise awareness of the issue and get people involved. I have had limited success so far but its better than nothing.

Same here. I know about 8 -10 people that I keep talking to but I don't think most of them really care to much, or at least don't care enough to contact anyone in the government.

hrdware

A word from the author..

I heard an interview with Senator Russell (the Senate author of this bill) on the radio this morning. He is working with Rep Tibbs on this bill. They are looking at changing the age from 18 to 21 and adding in some training. The training would not be a permit like the CWL, but more like a hunter safety type course that shows you know the proper handling of a firearm and the open carry laws. He expects ORA to endorse the bill after these changes are made. He also expects it to pass the House Public Safety Committee and the House Floor. One downside to this bill is there would not be reciprocity. Open Carry would be for Oklahoma residents only.

Last edited:

77zach

I heard an interview with Senator Russell (the Senate author of this bill) on the radio this morning. He is working with Rep Tibbs on this bill. They are looking at changing the age from 18 to 21 and adding in some training. The training would not be a permit like the CWL, but more like a hunter safety type course that shows you know the proper handling of a firearm and the open carry laws. He expects ORA to endorse the bill after these changes are made. He also expects it to pass the House Public Safety Committee and the House Floor. One downside to this bill is there would be reciprocity. Open Carry would be for Oklahoma residents only.

wow, that's really stupid.

Mirge

I heard an interview with Senator Russell (the Senate author of this bill) on the radio this morning. He is working with Rep Tibbs on this bill. They are looking at changing the age from 18 to 21 and adding in some training. The training would not be a permit like the CWL, but more like a hunter safety type course that shows you know the proper handling of a firearm and the open carry laws. He expects ORA to endorse the bill after these changes are made. He also expects it to pass the House Public Safety Committee and the House Floor. One downside to this bill is there would be reciprocity. Open Carry would be for Oklahoma residents only.

Personally, I'd be happy with the above. It's a step in the right direction. I'd take that over NO open carry any day.

77zach

Personally, I'd be happy with the above. It's a step in the right direction. I'd take that over NO open carry any day.

While the "training" and 21 years old requirements are bad, I can understand the faulty reasoning behind it. But what in the world is the logic behind only letting state residents OC? Why not let people with out of state reciprocal permits OC at least? Wyoming did the same thing with constitutional carry. State residents only.

But yeah, it's a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

hrdware

While the "training" and 21 years old requirements are bad, I can understand the faulty reasoning behind it. But what in the world is the logic behind only letting state residents OC? Why not let people with out of state reciprocal permits OC at least? Wyoming did the same thing with constitutional carry. State residents only.

But yeah, it's a step in the right direction.

The residents only logic is because it is not being tied to the CC reciprocity. This way they can make sure the people who are OC have had the mandated state training. Baby steps.

77zach

The residents only logic is because it is not being tied to the CC reciprocity. This way they can make sure the people who are OC have had the mandated state training. Baby steps.

Interesting. I'd think a carry permit would exceed the demands of a hunter safety course.

hrdware

So I sent my rep an email last week asking if there was anything we could do to get SB129 a committee hearing, or get it to the floor. This is the response I got:

Representative XXXX wanted you to know that SB129 is alive, it passed the Senate 36-8, and is now in The House Public Safety committee. Rep. Sue Tibbs, Chairman of this committee, has been and still is hostile to open carry. We are absolutely committed to getting the open carry bill through the Legislature this year.

77zach

So I sent my rep an email last week asking if there was anything we could do to get SB129 a committee hearing, or get it to the floor. This is the response I got:

And once it gets out of the hostile rep's hands it could be amended to strip out the crap amendments. Especially since the senate is so favorable.

JBURGII

And once it gets out of the hostile rep's hands it could be amended to strip out the crap amendments. Especially since the senate is so favorable.

While the stipulations are not exactly great, I would almost take them if there were no chance of it passing otherwise. The only thing that really worries me is if you are required to pass a safety course, does this open you up to scrutiny by law enforcement as far as requesting proof of having taken it?

hrdware

Well, that's the problem, it may never get out of her hands. She is the Committee Chair for the Public Safety Committee and if she chooses not to hear this bill in committee in the next 2 weeks, the bill is dead. House members may be able to do a discharge petition to get it to the house floor, but I don't know if they can do that with a Senate bill or not.

hrdware

While the stipulations are not exactly great, I would almost take them if there were no chance of it passing otherwise. The only thing that really worries me is if you are required to pass a safety course, does this open you up to scrutiny by law enforcement as far as requesting proof of having taken it?

This gets back to the fact that the presence of a gun is not sufficient to create a Terry stop. This would be like stopping everyone driving a car to just to make sure they have a license. Without RAS, the officer would have no right to stop you in the first place. If they stopped you for something else, they could then go, "oh, btw, do you have your safe gun handling card?"