Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Multitool @ Tech College?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    221

    Question Multitool @ Tech College?

    Hello,

    I hope this is something you can answer for me but i have a Gerber multi-tool similar to the one in the pic below. It has a knife, saw, scissors, file, screwdriver, and all the good stuff you can expect of a quality Gerber multi-tool. I was wondering if there is anything anywhere that may state i cannot wear this on my belt while i am going to class @ our local tech college. I have thought about wearing my holster during class and this is something my grandfather said i could have if the day he passed away should happen. Unfortunately it did two years ago. I don't usually wear a belt so if i start wearing my holster i might as well throw this on there because i always need it when i don't have it...if its not illegal for me to carry in school.

    Thanks in advance

    Last edited by HolyOrangeJuice; 03-15-2011 at 11:50 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Pyro01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Menomonie, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    202
    Can't tell you how many times I've carried my multitool on my belt during college. You should look at your school policies, but I would think it'd be ok because there's far more dangerous things in colleges than multitools. Like band saws and ice picks :P I too have a Gerber multitool, I've had it for over 12 years, and it truly is a testament to their craftsmanship. The hardest thing with multitools and knives is even though they can be designed to last a hundreds of years, you can still drop it in a lake or lose it.
    Last edited by Pyro01; 03-16-2011 at 01:11 AM.
    Join Wisconsin Carry today, defend your rights!

    Wisconsin Carry member since March, 2011

    "The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    It is not prohibited by state law but may be covered under their "weapons" policy, depending on how they word it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  4. #4
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyro01 View Post
    Can't tell you how many times I've carried my multitool on my belt during college. You should look at your school policies, but I would think it'd be ok because there's far more dangerous things in colleges than multitools. Like band saws and ice picks :P I too have a Gerber multitool, I've had it for over 12 years, and it truly is a testament to their craftsmanship. The hardest thing with multitools and knives is even though they can be designed to last a hundreds of years, you can still drop it in a lake or lose it.
    I had to use my Gerber to break a window after a truck roll-over (it was the only way out). Thank God it was on my belt that day. The bummer is, I lost it in the snow seconds later...
    Great tool, and I have had no issue with it at MATC (Milwaukee).

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Neenah, WI
    Posts
    50
    I know that there is usually a weapons policy that bans knives and the like. I go to FVTC and there is a policy, I believe, that bans it but I have not had any issues carrying a pocket knife or multi-tool. Heck, I even carried one in high school. The main thing is that as long as you dont cause a problem, everything will be ok and no one will say anything. Its the second you threaten someone or even p*ss someone off that it will come back to get you.
    As far as the holster, it has crossed my mind and I may during a presentation on the 2nd Amendment.

    carry on

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    89
    Don't worry about the multi-tool. I don't think in this day and age anyone can really comment on it, especially in Wisconsin. Maybe if you were going to NYU or UCLA people would have a problem with it, but not around here.

    As for the holster, if you're wearing it empty, there is ZERO recourse a person can take for that. It isn't any different than an empty cell phone holder.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGdude View Post
    Don't worry about the multi-tool. I don't think in this day and age anyone can really comment on it, especially in Wisconsin. Maybe if you were going to NYU or UCLA people would have a problem with it, but not around here.

    As for the holster, if you're wearing it empty, there is ZERO recourse a person can take for that. It isn't any different than an empty cell phone holder.
    I don't have a firearm for the holster yet because the guy i was going to buy one from decided he didn't want to sell anymore so i have a serpa holster for a glock 21 but no firearm. I also have a family who thinks i shouldn't carry because the area we are in is relatively safe and people would freak out and the police in the neighborhood would go crazy. Even though we own several firearms and my family is very pro 2nd amendment. So basically we had a big actual sit down discussion about it and i told them flat out i wasn't going to carry, i had too much on my mind right now, and that was it. However a couple months later i still have a feeling that i need to be doing something that i am not because i strongly believe in it....so i figure i'd start with just wearing my holster and this mutlitool is just a side thing since if im going to be wearing a holster on a belt might as well start carrying it too since its useful.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyOrangeJuice View Post
    I don't have a firearm for the holster yet because the guy i was going to buy one from decided he didn't want to sell anymore so i have a serpa holster for a glock 21 but no firearm. I also have a family who thinks i shouldn't carry because the area we are in is relatively safe and people would freak out and the police in the neighborhood would go crazy. Even though we own several firearms and my family is very pro 2nd amendment. So basically we had a big actual sit down discussion about it and i told them flat out i wasn't going to carry, i had too much on my mind right now, and that was it. However a couple months later i still have a feeling that i need to be doing something that i am not because i strongly believe in it....so i figure i'd start with just wearing my holster and this mutlitool is just a side thing since if im going to be wearing a holster on a belt might as well start carrying it too since its useful.
    totally acceptable to just wear a holster, it makes enough of a statement.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGdude View Post
    totally acceptable to just wear a holster, it makes enough of a statement.
    I know and that is why i am going to do that for now. Until i can find a firearm to purchase in my price range.

  10. #10
    Regular Member GlockRDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    north of the Peoples Republic of Madison
    Posts
    626
    I wore an empty holster for a while, just to get used to how it felt there...AND if i go in a plce i cant carry, i wear teh holster also. Yep, it makes a statement.

  11. #11
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    I don't see a problem with the multi-tool, esp. if it's used as intended.
    It'll probably be in your pocket or on your belt the vast majority of the time anyway.

    As for wearing an empty holster, that's what I do on campus & in gov't buildings.

    I'm looking forward to the various rights-restrictive laws being repealed so I don't have to dither over disobeying an unconstitutional law (prohibiting me from self-defense) or potentially being on the evening news as the victim of a mass murderer a la Virginia Tech.

    Of course, most colleges also have policies which prohibit weapons, but if it's concealed nobody will know. Also possible that a proper reform of rights-restrictive laws will preempt colleges which receive public money from being more restrictive than the law allows.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •