• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Multitool @ Tech College?

HolyOrangeJuice

Hello,

I hope this is something you can answer for me but i have a Gerber multi-tool similar to the one in the pic below. It has a knife, saw, scissors, file, screwdriver, and all the good stuff you can expect of a quality Gerber multi-tool. I was wondering if there is anything anywhere that may state i cannot wear this on my belt while i am going to class @ our local tech college. I have thought about wearing my holster during class and this is something my grandfather said i could have if the day he passed away should happen. Unfortunately it did two years ago. I don't usually wear a belt so if i start wearing my holster i might as well throw this on there because i always need it when i don't have it...if its not illegal for me to carry in school.

Thanks in advance

Gerber_MultiTool_1.jpg

Last edited:

Pyro01

Can't tell you how many times I've carried my multitool on my belt during college. You should look at your school policies, but I would think it'd be ok because there's far more dangerous things in colleges than multitools. Like band saws and ice picks :p I too have a Gerber multitool, I've had it for over 12 years, and it truly is a testament to their craftsmanship. The hardest thing with multitools and knives is even though they can be designed to last a hundreds of years, you can still drop it in a lake or lose it.

Last edited:

protias

It is not prohibited by state law but may be covered under their "weapons" policy, depending on how they word it.

AaronS

Can't tell you how many times I've carried my multitool on my belt during college. You should look at your school policies, but I would think it'd be ok because there's far more dangerous things in colleges than multitools. Like band saws and ice picks :p I too have a Gerber multitool, I've had it for over 12 years, and it truly is a testament to their craftsmanship. The hardest thing with multitools and knives is even though they can be designed to last a hundreds of years, you can still drop it in a lake or lose it.

I had to use my Gerber to break a window after a truck roll-over (it was the only way out). Thank God it was on my belt that day. The bummer is, I lost it in the snow seconds later...
Great tool, and I have had no issue with it at MATC (Milwaukee).

xd40 neenah

I know that there is usually a weapons policy that bans knives and the like. I go to FVTC and there is a policy, I believe, that bans it but I have not had any issues carrying a pocket knife or multi-tool. Heck, I even carried one in high school. The main thing is that as long as you dont cause a problem, everything will be ok and no one will say anything. Its the second you threaten someone or even p*ss someone off that it will come back to get you.
As far as the holster, it has crossed my mind and I may during a presentation on the 2nd Amendment.

carry on

SIGdude

Don't worry about the multi-tool. I don't think in this day and age anyone can really comment on it, especially in Wisconsin. Maybe if you were going to NYU or UCLA people would have a problem with it, but not around here.

As for the holster, if you're wearing it empty, there is ZERO recourse a person can take for that. It isn't any different than an empty cell phone holder.

HolyOrangeJuice

Don't worry about the multi-tool. I don't think in this day and age anyone can really comment on it, especially in Wisconsin. Maybe if you were going to NYU or UCLA people would have a problem with it, but not around here.

As for the holster, if you're wearing it empty, there is ZERO recourse a person can take for that. It isn't any different than an empty cell phone holder.

I don't have a firearm for the holster yet because the guy i was going to buy one from decided he didn't want to sell anymore so i have a serpa holster for a glock 21 but no firearm. I also have a family who thinks i shouldn't carry because the area we are in is relatively safe and people would freak out and the police in the neighborhood would go crazy. Even though we own several firearms and my family is very pro 2nd amendment. So basically we had a big actual sit down discussion about it and i told them flat out i wasn't going to carry, i had too much on my mind right now, and that was it. However a couple months later i still have a feeling that i need to be doing something that i am not because i strongly believe in it....so i figure i'd start with just wearing my holster and this mutlitool is just a side thing since if im going to be wearing a holster on a belt might as well start carrying it too since its useful.

SIGdude

I don't have a firearm for the holster yet because the guy i was going to buy one from decided he didn't want to sell anymore so i have a serpa holster for a glock 21 but no firearm. I also have a family who thinks i shouldn't carry because the area we are in is relatively safe and people would freak out and the police in the neighborhood would go crazy. Even though we own several firearms and my family is very pro 2nd amendment. So basically we had a big actual sit down discussion about it and i told them flat out i wasn't going to carry, i had too much on my mind right now, and that was it. However a couple months later i still have a feeling that i need to be doing something that i am not because i strongly believe in it....so i figure i'd start with just wearing my holster and this mutlitool is just a side thing since if im going to be wearing a holster on a belt might as well start carrying it too since its useful.

totally acceptable to just wear a holster, it makes enough of a statement.

MKEgal

I don't see a problem with the multi-tool, esp. if it's used as intended.
It'll probably be in your pocket or on your belt the vast majority of the time anyway.

As for wearing an empty holster, that's what I do on campus & in gov't buildings.

I'm looking forward to the various rights-restrictive laws being repealed so I don't have to dither over disobeying an unconstitutional law (prohibiting me from self-defense) or potentially being on the evening news as the victim of a mass murderer a la Virginia Tech.

Of course, most colleges also have policies which prohibit weapons, but if it's concealed nobody will know. Also possible that a proper reform of rights-restrictive laws will preempt colleges which receive public money from being more restrictive than the law allows.