• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Examiner.com - OC bills advance in FL legislature

Rich7553

skk123

I'd prefer this to pass quickly and quietly. The later the media gets a hold of this and brings it to the public, the better.

Let it pass, then start educating the public. It's like a kid saying he hates vegetables when he's never even tried it. Best to let them get a taste before they make up their minds.

Last edited:

Rich7553

I'd prefer this to pass quickly and quietly. The later the media gets a hold of this and brings it to the public, the better.

Let it pass, then start educating the public. It's like a kid saying he hates vegetables when he's never even tried it. Best to let them get a taste before they make up their minds.

It's already out there in the mainstream media. Several newspapers are carrying it.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

I disagree. If the general public is so extremely dumb and hateful that they would not want it, then I'd like to know so I can find a more civilized and mature public to live among.

Last edited:

koja1962

I saw a clip on o.c. in the news this a.m. just a 10 sec. deal about how both bills passed and that was it. thought the news would be all over it but i guess not.

77zach

I wonder when anti-gun media and pols will realize the pattern. My guess is never.

Shall issue CC in nearly every state: there will be blood in the streets. Didn't happen in any state.
School carry in Utah elementary through university: Every argument will end in a blood bath. Didn't happen.
Constitutional carry in Arizona: Get ready to live like Mad Max. Didn't happen.

And if Florida gets OC, nothing will happen
When (not if) Florida removes schools from the "prohibited places" list, nothing will happen.

Tyranny is so boring. Let's try freedom in every aspect of life.

~*'Phoenix'*~

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Do we need to sacrifice any virgins, or do we have reason to believe a majority in these committees will respect basic human rights?

77zach

Do we need to sacrifice any virgins, or do we have reason to believe a majority in these committees will respect basic human rights?

I think Stogie and Rich know best, but I don't believe we have to worry about the House at all. Talking to my rep's office who works next door, he's chair of House CJ, he said House would probably pass a Constitutional carry bill right now if it weren't for the Senate! I'm just afraid the senate has a lot more "sportsmen" types. The NRA gave thrasher an "A+" after all. How someone so philosophically unsound can earn that grade disturbs me greatly.

~*'Phoenix'*~

I'm a little concerned about senate judiciary, they might not act before a few more virgins get sacrificed to the crime-gods, rules should be fine if it gets there.
Both house committees should be alright w/o sacrifices.
1. Bogdanoff's one of the R's on judiciary and is squeemish, but can possibly be won over or convinced to not vote.
2. Flores looks solid for it. Hopefully she'll "Whip" Bogdanoff over to our side.
3. Thrasher helped dump campus carry, but doesn't seem opposed to the OC/parking lot provisions, so he should be favorable now that campus carry is out (sadly, he admitted he backed out his campus carry support for emotional reasons...:banghead:)
4/5. Joyner and Braynon will oppose of course, they're conventional Democrats.
6. Richter is pro-gun but hasn't had anything this big on his record yet.
7. Simmons? I got nothing on him.
That's the best I can do.
Probably looking at 4-3. Hopefully...

Rich7553

I think Stogie and Rich know best, but I don't believe we have to worry about the House at all. Talking to my rep's office who works next door, he's chair of House CJ, he said House would probably pass a Constitutional carry bill right now if it weren't for the Senate! I'm just afraid the senate has a lot more "sportsmen" types. The NRA gave thrasher an "A+" after all. How someone so philosophically unsound can earn that grade disturbs me greatly.

A votive candle burning never hurts! Just kidding. Thrasher was personal friends with Dr. Cowie, whose daughter was killed. That's the only reason he was against campus carry. Now that its gone, he should be fine with the rest of the bill.

Rich7553

I'm a little concerned about senate judiciary, they might not act before a few more virgins get sacrificed to the crime-gods, rules should be fine if it gets there.
Both house committees should be alright w/o sacrifices.
1. Bogdanoff's one of the R's on judiciary and is squeemish, but can possibly be won over or convinced to not vote.
2. Flores looks solid for it. Hopefully she'll "Whip" Bogdanoff over to our side.
3. Thrasher helped dump campus carry, but doesn't seem opposed to the OC/parking lot provisions, so he should be favorable now that campus carry is out (sadly, he admitted he backed out his campus carry support for emotional reasons...:banghead:)
4/5. Joyner and Braynon will oppose of course, they're conventional Democrats.
6. Richter is pro-gun but hasn't had anything this big on his record yet.
7. Simmons? I got nothing on him.
That's the best I can do.
Probably looking at 4-3. Hopefully...

We melted down Bogdanoff's e-mail box a bit back when she first waffled. Word is she's solid now.

~*'Phoenix'*~

good to hear.
Here's a paraphrase from Representative Julien, the democrat who voted in favor of 517:
I read this bill and the numerous 1000's emails, both for and against, and the fact that these individuals are law-abiding citizens, who undergo background checks, shows that we can see they believe in the law, and therefore can obtain the CWL. In South Florida where I live and I represent, there frequent gun-robberies at salons, stores, restaurants. Individuals who abhor the law and don't care are going to carry weapons anyway, and for us who are trying to just live without fear, what's our recourse? This law already exists. If someone accidentally shows a weapon, it shouldn't make them a criminal. I agree if the issue is training, that can be addressed separately, to not lose a weapon/make more of a problem. It sounds like a different situation. Texas has had studies showing crime went down because crinimals rethought attacking people for fear of weapons in law-abiding hands.

In case anyone didn't know or was curious about it.

pmcd95

good to hear.
Here's a paraphrase from Representative Julien, the democrat who voted in favor of 517:
I read this bill and the numerous 1000's emails, both for and against, and the fact that these individuals are law-abiding citizens, who undergo background checks, shows that we can see they believe in the law, and therefore can obtain the CWL. In South Florida where I live and I represent, there frequent gun-robberies at salons, stores, restaurants. Individuals who abhor the law and don't care are going to carry weapons anyway, and for us who are trying to just live without fear, what's our recourse? This law already exists. If someone accidentally shows a weapon, it shouldn't make them a criminal. I agree if the issue is training, that can be addressed separately, to not lose a weapon/make more of a problem. It sounds like a different situation. Texas has had studies showing crime went down because crinimals rethought attacking people for fear of weapons in law-abiding hands.

In case anyone didn't know or was curious about it.
A well thought out argument inspired by countless emails from supporters, at least someone gets it....

My email.
To the Honorable John Patrick Julien:
As a lifetime Florida resident, I applaud your ability to look past the titles of republican and democrat and find that the rights set by our founding fathers are still relevant today. The right for Floridians to open carry firearms is an old right and not a new threat. As you know, statistics show that citizens that lawfully carry firearms are not the ones committing crimes. I understand that when the bill makes the floor in it's current form it will most likely not need any help from the minority party, but I urge you to inform your fellow democrats on the truths of this bill, not the misconstrued idea that Florida will turn into a wild west full of shoot outs and mass murders caused by open carry. I thank you for your support of the bill in committee and look forward to your "Yes" vote on the floor.

Last edited:

randian

When (not if) Florida removes schools from the "prohibited places" list, nothing will happen.
Nor will it if Florida removes non-sterile portions of airports, athletic events, school administration buildings, and "vocational technical centers" (whatever those are).