• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Called the Cumberland Country Sheriff's office today

x3atthis

To see about doing a possession transfer of our Bersa to me. My husband is over 21 and I'm not so he purchased it a few months before his last deployment. I figured, especially since I'm not 21 yet, I would cover all of my bases in terms of legality, just to be safe.

The woman at the office said I don't need to do a possession transfer since it belongs to my husband, and I CAN open carry it, I just can't conceal it since I don't have a permit (duh).

The NC statutes on "possession" and "transfer" and the like are pretty vague...should I just go ahead and carry it, or would it be a good idea to get a purchase permit and do a legal transfer anyways?

M

mattwestm

Good luck getting a PPP under 21. Some counties will issue them, some won't. There isn't any law that says you can't carry if you don't have ownership of the gun. My grandfather has let me borrow some of his guns in the past. If I were to ever be questioned, I would have stated they were his and he gave me permission to use them.

I would just OC and if questioned, tell that the gun belongs to your husband and he is letting you carry it. Being in possession of a gun does not necessarily mean that you are the owner. In reality, there really isn't a way for them to prove who the owner is unless the gun is reported stolen. Enjoy OCing!

muccione

Just carry it... You legally own 1/2 of it anyways...

"IF" questions get asked... Answer with a question...
And only if it is a LEO... No need to talk to any civilians about you carrying a gun ...
Questions from LEOs ... you have 2 choices.. Answer them or remain silent, except who you are..
Unless you are driving you do NOT have to give a ID.....
You have the right to remain silent whether you are told or not...

rotorhead

/agreed.

You should have no issues whatsoever carrying your husband's gun. He (or anyone) can loan you the use of their guns.

nobama

agreed, if your not 21 you cant get a ccp so just OC. If asked , remember its your husbands gun. Nuff said.

muccione

Unless you are or did commit a crime.. the police can asks but you don't have to answer... The cop is just fishing

Tell him how to get to the Cape Fear river to go fishing...

Dreamer

Unless you are or did commit a crime.. the police can asks but you don't have to answer... The cop is just fishing

Tell him how to get to the Cape Fear river to go fishing...

LOL...

LEO: "Can I ask you some questions, young lady?"
OCer: "Why hello, Officer. The Tar River is about 2 miles that way... Have a nice day..."

Last edited:

x3atthis

LOL...

LEO: "Can I ask you some questions, young lady?"
OCer: "Why hello, Officer. The Tar River is about 2 miles that way... Have a nice day..."

Just hand over a deck of cards, "Go fish, Officer."

I did carry when I went out with my son to meet a woman at Starbucks to do some business, and I was a little nervous, but too much because I know Starbucks has an awesome corporate OC policy. One guy sitting out front did stare and point while leaning over to talk to his friend when I walked in. You really don't see very many 20 something women in preppy clothes with an infant on one hip and a firearm on the other, LOL. The woman I was meeting (she's a night shift nurse in the Cape Fear ER) was like, "Is that a gun?!?!"
I told her it was. "OMG Why do you have a gun?!"
I laughed and said, "Fayetteville can be a pretty scary place."
She thought for a second and goes, "Yeah. Yeah that's definitely true I see it at work every night."

I was just mainly concerned with the ambiguity of the law as it stands. Federal law states anyone over 18 who is otherwise authorized to have a handgun can carry. North Carolina law mandates a purchase permit to take possession of a handgun. Encounter the wrong LEO on the wrong day and he may decide that those two laws in correlation mean in NC, since the permit is required, it is required for carry as well. It would help if there was any type of precedent for the loaning of firearms in NC, or joint ownership. I know a lot of other states have them on the books.

Although I suppose in theory the talk of transfer and receiving can't be applicable to loaning of a firearm anyways, especially since with frequent borrowing you'd go through a ridiculous amount of PPPs, lol. So I suppose it falls under the age old rule that if they don't say you cant, then by default you can. Thank you everyone :)

cricketdad

To see about doing a possession transfer of our Bersa to me. My husband is over 21 and I'm not so he purchased it a few months before his last deployment. I figured, especially since I'm not 21 yet, I would cover all of my bases in terms of legality, just to be safe.

The woman at the office said I don't need to do a possession transfer since it belongs to my husband, and I CAN open carry it, I just can't conceal it since I don't have a permit (duh).

The NC statutes on "possession" and "transfer" and the like are pretty vague...should I just go ahead and carry it, or would it be a good idea to get a purchase permit and do a legal transfer anyways?

DON'T believe everything the Sheriff's office tells you.

Cumberland will issue to under 21. Friend of mine runs a pawn shop on Bragg Blvd. Yesterday a 20 year old brought a permit in. He calls the sheriff's office and they tell him he can accept it. Fortunately he does not accept it.

Couple weeks ago I was at a meeting where the Sheriff was the quest speaker. I don't believe Moose answered one question correctly. His chief deputy was with him but didn't correct him. That wuld have been political suicide.

muccione

Laws tell you what you CANT do...Not what you can do... So if you are over 18 you can OC a firearm.... In theory a LEO would have no reason to ask any questions...

muccione

You really don't see very many 20 something women in preppy clothes with an infant on one hip and a firearm on the other, LOL. The woman I was meeting (she's a night shift nurse in the Cape Fear ER) was like, "Is that a gun?!?!"
I told her it was. "OMG Why do you have a gun?!"
I laughed and said, "Fayetteville can be a pretty scary place."
She thought for a second and goes, "Yeah. Yeah that's definitely true I see it at work every night.")

Please do not take this wrong.... I am ALL for you carrying a firearm to protect yourself and your infant... I just trying to figure out how you draw your gun for defensive reasons and still hold you baby...

I always keep my right hand free a constantly scan for possible threats.. When with my daughter (8 y/o) I have taught her to stay on my left and if I pull her to my back side and draw my gun, she is to crouch and cover behind me so I can shield her...

I have a clear practiced plan... Just wondering what your plan/thought is "IF" anything was to happen.

I'm glad and respect you for taken personal responsibility for you and your family's safety.. I was just thinking of your situation while I was in Fayetteville this weekend..

Carry on!!!!

Last edited:

x3atthis

Please do not take this wrong.... I am ALL for you carrying a firearm to protect yourself and your infant... I just trying to figure out how you draw your gun for defensive reasons and still hold you baby...

I always keep my right hand free a constantly scan for possible threats.. When with my daughter (8 y/o) I have taught her to stay on my left and if I pull her to my back side and draw my gun, she is to crouch and cover behind me so I can shield her...

I have a clear practiced plan... Just wondering what your plan/thought is "IF" anything was to happen.

I'm glad and respect you for taken personal responsibility for you and your family's safety.. I was just thinking of your situation while I was in Fayetteville this weekend..

Carry on!!!!

No, I'm actually glad you asked me, since it did make me stop and think in more detail what my actions would be.

A woman with a baby is probably the biggest target there is, in my opinion. There really is no information or advice on self defense when with an infant. They're immobile and wholly dependent on you, and your only inclination is to keep that baby safe, no matter what. For the average individual, that usually would mean letting the criminal have their way without any fight, and these criminals know that.

When in a parking lot, if I feel unsafe, which usually means I'm in a bad area, I have no qualms with testing the boundaries of brandishing. Before I even get out of the car I have a round chambered, safety off, and my hand is hovering near the pistol grip. For example, just the other day I was at at Shooters Supply...a very bad area. I had my son on my left hip and my right hand hovering at my gun as I walked to the door. Sure enough, a man saw me and began walking towards me asking for money for gas. I said no, continued towards the door, and he continued towards me, so I let my hand rest on my gun, he then suddenly stopped and walked away. I have no doubt in my mind that it was then that he had noticed that I was carrying, and was not inclined to seek out confrontation with a person already wary enough to act in the way I did. While this is questionable legally, then I honestly am ok with that, although in an area of Fayetteville such as that, I think you would be hard pressed to find a police officer interested in arresting a woman with a baby for doing as I did.

The carseat is probably our biggest vulnerability, because it requires two hands and attention. I angle my body my gun is facing outwards, and I take my time strapping him in, enough so that I can turn my head, scanning around me while I get him in all of the way. If anyone of a suspicious nature shows up in that vicinity, I close the car door, having already set the locks beforehand, and head over to my side of the car. This way my son is secured in the car, even if he's not strapped all of the way in, and if that person does still seek to confront me, my son is safely in the car. While this does open up the possibility of someone stealing the car with him inside of it, it is no more so of a risk than if I had stayed at his door to get him back out. By immediately closing the car and locking it upon sighting a person, I'm already sending a clear message that I see them and I they have me on guard, making me less of a target. If it is dark and we have to get in and out of the car I do so by climbing in the backseat with him. While this would probably be the best course of action overall, I honestly just can't stand doing it that way, but do if I feel the risk level necessitates it. If we were walking and someone did choose to engage in confrontation, my son would be on my left hip, with my arm wrapped around him, angling him away from the individual. Should I need to fire my gun, it would be at a very close range either way, as it would require the person coming towards me physically in a threatening manner. I would have to shoot one handed, which is certainly unideal, but, especially if it is practiced, it should not pose too much of an issue.

At the end of the day, openly carrying, while maintaining a hyper alert awareness of your surroundings is the best way to use a gun in self defense, in my opinion. By making it clear that I am are on guard, and I will not hesitate to use my weapon, I've gone from being an easy target to a confrontational one. I've eliminated the incentive associated with my status as a mother with an infant, and instead replaced it with a clear possible consequence for choosing me as an victim. All of these crimes that could occur while in public with my son are crimes of opportunity...if their ease is negated, visibly carrying a gun ensuring those around me can tell I am keeping an eye on the, negates the opportunity in the crime,.

mekender

No, I'm actually glad you asked me, since it did make me stop and think in more detail what my actions would be.

A woman with a baby is probably the biggest target there is, in my opinion. There really is no information or advice on self defense when with an infant. They're immobile and wholly dependent on you, and your only inclination is to keep that baby safe, no matter what. For the average individual, that usually would mean letting the criminal have their way without any fight, and these criminals know that.

When in a parking lot, if I feel unsafe, which usually means I'm in a bad area, I have no qualms with testing the boundaries of brandishing. Before I even get out of the car I have a round chambered, safety off, and my hand is hovering near the pistol grip. For example, just the other day I was at at Shooters Supply...a very bad area. I had my son on my left hip and my right hand hovering at my gun as I walked to the door. Sure enough, a man saw me and began walking towards me asking for money for gas. I said no, continued towards the door, and he continued towards me, so I let my hand rest on my gun, he then suddenly stopped and walked away. I have no doubt in my mind that it was then that he had noticed that I was carrying, and was not inclined to seek out confrontation with a person already wary enough to act in the way I did. While this is questionable legally, then I honestly am ok with that, although in an area of Fayetteville such as that, I think you would be hard pressed to find a police officer interested in arresting a woman with a baby for doing as I did.

The carseat is probably our biggest vulnerability, because it requires two hands and attention. I angle my body my gun is facing outwards, and I take my time strapping him in, enough so that I can turn my head, scanning around me while I get him in all of the way. If anyone of a suspicious nature shows up in that vicinity, I close the car door, having already set the locks beforehand, and head over to my side of the car. This way my son is secured in the car, even if he's not strapped all of the way in, and if that person does still seek to confront me, my son is safely in the car. While this does open up the possibility of someone stealing the car with him inside of it, it is no more so of a risk than if I had stayed at his door to get him back out. By immediately closing the car and locking it upon sighting a person, I'm already sending a clear message that I see them and I they have me on guard, making me less of a target. If it is dark and we have to get in and out of the car I do so by climbing in the backseat with him. While this would probably be the best course of action overall, I honestly just can't stand doing it that way, but do if I feel the risk level necessitates it. If we were walking and someone did choose to engage in confrontation, my son would be on my left hip, with my arm wrapped around him, angling him away from the individual. Should I need to fire my gun, it would be at a very close range either way, as it would require the person coming towards me physically in a threatening manner. I would have to shoot one handed, which is certainly unideal, but, especially if it is practiced, it should not pose too much of an issue.

At the end of the day, openly carrying, while maintaining a hyper alert awareness of your surroundings is the best way to use a gun in self defense, in my opinion. By making it clear that I am are on guard, and I will not hesitate to use my weapon, I've gone from being an easy target to a confrontational one. I've eliminated the incentive associated with my status as a mother with an infant, and instead replaced it with a clear possible consequence for choosing me as an victim. All of these crimes that could occur while in public with my son are crimes of opportunity...if their ease is negated, visibly carrying a gun ensuring those around me can tell I am keeping an eye on the, negates the opportunity in the crime,.

Excellent writeup but I do have one question... Why not have your kid's seat on the right side of the car so that when you were putting him in the car, the gun was also inside the car instead of sticking out and potentially easier to grab?

I know that things like this are so rare that they are almost unheard of. I have looked for years for cases where a criminal grabbed an open carrier's gun and havent found more than one or two. But even when I carry, I make it a conscious decision to make sure the gun is between me and the car instead of sticking out away from the car.

sultan62

Excellent writeup but I do have one question... Why not have your kid's seat on the right side of the car so that when you were putting him in the car, the gun was also inside the car instead of sticking out and potentially easier to grab?

I know that things like this are so rare that they are almost unheard of. I have looked for years for cases where a criminal grabbed an open carrier's gun and havent found more than one or two. But even when I carry, I make it a conscious decision to make sure the gun is between me and the car instead of sticking out away from the car.

I believe the intent is for it to be easily seen, to discourage possible incidents.

rotorhead

Outstanding insight for all of us, not just the moms :)

Misplaced Texan

FIRST AND FOREMOST: THANK YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND. Don't know what branch but we are an ARMY STRONG FAMILY ourselves. One of our nephews is at Bragg. He is a Combat Medic SSG. with the 82nd Airborne. HOOAH !!!!

You are an ispiration to us all and very wise for your age. And speaking as a father and husband I am sure you make your entire family very proud. My daughter and her fiance will both be turning twenty-one soon and am confident that both will start to carry once they do besides just doing it when they are out hunting.

x3atthis

I believe the intent is for it to be easily seen, to discourage possible incidents.

Exactly. But, I am aware of the risk associated with someone trying to take my weapon while my attention is otherwise engaged. I do carry in a holster that has a thumb break strap, though I wish I could find one with a trigger lock in addition to the retention strap. I don't put my son in the carseat if that strap is not fastened, because buckling him in his rather time consuming and takes more of my focus, what with squirming and back arching and all of those fun things. That way, even if someone did try to take my gun, just to undo that strap would require unsnapping it from the side closest to my body...there's no way to do even get close to the snap without me knowing.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I got myself one of those reverse car seats (kid faces backwards) because they are safer in a crash anyway. Floppy necks and all. I put it in the front passenger seat. My car has no passenger airbag. If your's does, you'd have to have it disabled. I would just get in the car normally, as if I were alone. Close the door, lock it if needed, plunk his butt in the seat, buckle with no issues from my position in the passenger seat. No bending over with my butt hanging out the door fighting Mr. Grump Pants' Attitude. Very fast, convenient, and efficient. Easy as pie. Didn't take much longer than putting myself in the car.

Ask around, how terrible is it that, yes, indeed, I have procreated. :p

Hope this helps. The gun isn't the holdup in this process. I still laugh at all the women I see fighting little brats while all the blood rushes to their heads with their giant butts hanging out the door. The solution is simple...

Last edited: