• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Racks ?

UR115

I know this is kinda off topic of what this forum usually talks about but does anyone know the laws on rifles and shotguns in vehicles? If they were in a gun rack unloaded and not concealed is that ok? Do the school zone law apply? Does it need to be locked? Im pretty familiar with the pistol OC laws but not to sure on rifles. I know most of us are not lawyers and ill look up the laws myself before i ride around with any firearm but some comments would be appreciated. Thanks

ryanburbridge

I know this is kinda off topic of what this forum usually talks about but does anyone know the laws on rifles and shotguns in vehicles? If they were in a gun rack unloaded and not concealed is that ok? Do the school zone law apply? Does it need to be locked? Im pretty familiar with the pistol OC laws but not to sure on rifles. I know most of us are not lawyers and ill look up the laws myself before i ride around with any firearm but some comments would be appreciated. Thanks

In Ca long guns are not concealable.

From DOJ web site http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES

Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 12025 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported. A rifle or shotgun that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to Penal Code 12276 or 12276.1 must be transported in accordance with Penal Code section 12026.1.

So you could IMO transport long guns in a rack. BUT!!!!!

Look here
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/LegalCalifornia

A "law update" video was circulated to California police departments in early 2007, notifying officers that the mere presence of a gun case in a vehicle constitutes a valid cause to open the case and inspect the weapon to verify that it is unloaded. You have no right to refuse search if a gun case is visible. This does not, however, mean that you must grant consent to search the rest of your vehicle, only the gun case. This information courtesy of eta34, from Calguns.

Based on the above. Why would you want the extra police attention?

I would love to smash around town with my AR, AK, and mossy 590 in the window of my truck! And I DO carry them with me just out of sight!

This is a quick response and by NO means is it legal advise. Just what I think and found in a short time.

Let us know how you make out!

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto