Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Democracy: Not Always 2 Wolves and a Sheep Fighting on what's for Dinner

  1. #1
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005

    Democracy: Not Always 2 Wolves and a Sheep Fighting on what's for Dinner

    Check this out. I'm in Florida with many millions of more people than there are in New Hampshire. We only have 125 reps in the State House. Now look at the role call Constitutional Carry vote that was passed in the NH house?

    http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill...rs=&q=1&lsr=12

    NH has no sales tax, no income tax, no seatbelt laws, no mandatory car insurance, and soon to be awesome gun freedom.

    This level of democracy is also present in Switzerland, the freest nation in a very un-free Europe and the only Western nation left that let's people easily own military weapons.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    Check this out. I'm in Florida with many millions of more people than there are in New Hampshire. We only have 125 reps in the State House. Now look at the role call Constitutional Carry vote that was passed in the NH house?

    http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill...rs=&q=1&lsr=12

    NH has no sales tax, no income tax, no seatbelt laws, no mandatory car insurance, and soon to be awesome gun freedom.

    This level of democracy is also present in Switzerland, the freest nation in a very un-free Europe and the only Western nation left that let's people easily own military weapons.
    NH is not a democracy. It is a Republic. In a democracy, rights are not protected. Popular votes can (and eventually will) outlaw each individual right for the "good" of the majority in the collective. Case in point, Switzerland still is friendly to gun possession only because a very recent democratic vote came out that way. Had the vote gone the other way, Switzerland would have become much more restrictive.

  3. #3
    Regular Member 77zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Marion County, FL
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    NH is not a democracy. It is a Republic. In a democracy, rights are not protected. Popular votes can (and eventually will) outlaw each individual right for the "good" of the majority in the collective. Case in point, Switzerland still is friendly to gun possession only because a very recent democratic vote came out that way. Had the vote gone the other way, Switzerland would have become much more restrictive.
    I understand. However, I wonder if a very high level of representation can not sometimes be beneficial. If we had as much representation as Switzerland in our federal Congress, it would be more difficult for lobbyists to influence or buy members off. It would throw sand in the gears of government, and I believe gridlock in government is usually good. With 8000 members of Congress, hopefully the government would just shut down.

  4. #4
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by 77zach View Post
    I understand. However, I wonder if a very high level of representation can not sometimes be beneficial. If we had as much representation as Switzerland in our federal Congress, it would be more difficult for lobbyists to influence or buy members off. It would throw sand in the gears of government, and I believe gridlock in government is usually good. With 8000 members of Congress, hopefully the government would just shut down.
    Or more politicians with their fingers in our pie.

    No a smaller government that is restricted constitutionally, and is rights based over votes based is better.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  5. #5
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Sometimes it's two sheeps and a lamb voting on whether or not the lamb should be allowed to keep it's coat in the dead of winter.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    I lived in NH for many years. The people took back the government this election. The only democrat is a popular, conservative governor who is pro-2A and anti-tax. Maybe of all states, NH is the benchmark for our republic once again belonging to the people. They not only gave the GOP control, they gave them absolute, veto proof control in both Houses. And only have Republicans in DC--all conservatives. For too long, the Massholes had control bringing their slave state ideas with them. The people got fed up and the results are obvious.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    104

    Another reason

    In New Hampshire, you can't make a living as a career state politician. I believe our state reps and senators have a salary of $100 per year for a 2 year term. They don't want to be stuck in Concord for a long period because it will interfere with their real job/employer. They must do what they need in 45 days or wait until the next session (year). These people do the job because they want to and, being business for the most part, don't want to do any more damage to our economy.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by ldsgeek View Post
    In New Hampshire, you can't make a living as a career state politician. I believe our state reps and senators have a salary of $100 per year for a 2 year term. They don't want to be stuck in Concord for a long period because it will interfere with their real job/employer. They must do what they need in 45 days or wait until the next session (year). These people do the job because they want to and, being business for the most part, don't want to do any more damage to our economy.
    Ah, citizen legislators. We need to get back to that idea nationwide.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •