• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Democracy: Not Always 2 Wolves and a Sheep Fighting on what's for Dinner

77zach

Check this out. I'm in Florida with many millions of more people than there are in New Hampshire. We only have 125 reps in the State House. Now look at the role call Constitutional Carry vote that was passed in the NH house?

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bil...1&txtbillnumber=hb330&ddlsponsors=&q=1&lsr=12

NH has no sales tax, no income tax, no seatbelt laws, no mandatory car insurance, and soon to be awesome gun freedom.

This level of democracy is also present in Switzerland, the freest nation in a very un-free Europe and the only Western nation left that let's people easily own military weapons.

eye95

Check this out. I'm in Florida with many millions of more people than there are in New Hampshire. We only have 125 reps in the State House. Now look at the role call Constitutional Carry vote that was passed in the NH house?

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bil...1&txtbillnumber=hb330&ddlsponsors=&q=1&lsr=12

NH has no sales tax, no income tax, no seatbelt laws, no mandatory car insurance, and soon to be awesome gun freedom.

This level of democracy is also present in Switzerland, the freest nation in a very un-free Europe and the only Western nation left that let's people easily own military weapons.

NH is not a democracy. It is a Republic. In a democracy, rights are not protected. Popular votes can (and eventually will) outlaw each individual right for the "good" of the majority in the collective. Case in point, Switzerland still is friendly to gun possession only because a very recent democratic vote came out that way. Had the vote gone the other way, Switzerland would have become much more restrictive.

77zach

NH is not a democracy. It is a Republic. In a democracy, rights are not protected. Popular votes can (and eventually will) outlaw each individual right for the "good" of the majority in the collective. Case in point, Switzerland still is friendly to gun possession only because a very recent democratic vote came out that way. Had the vote gone the other way, Switzerland would have become much more restrictive.

I understand. However, I wonder if a very high level of representation can not sometimes be beneficial. If we had as much representation as Switzerland in our federal Congress, it would be more difficult for lobbyists to influence or buy members off. It would throw sand in the gears of government, and I believe gridlock in government is usually good. With 8000 members of Congress, hopefully the government would just shut down.

sudden valley gunner

I understand. However, I wonder if a very high level of representation can not sometimes be beneficial. If we had as much representation as Switzerland in our federal Congress, it would be more difficult for lobbyists to influence or buy members off. It would throw sand in the gears of government, and I believe gridlock in government is usually good. With 8000 members of Congress, hopefully the government would just shut down.

Or more politicians with their fingers in our pie.

No a smaller government that is restricted constitutionally, and is rights based over votes based is better.

Jack House

Sometimes it's two sheeps and a lamb voting on whether or not the lamb should be allowed to keep it's coat in the dead of winter.

Gunslinger

I lived in NH for many years. The people took back the government this election. The only democrat is a popular, conservative governor who is pro-2A and anti-tax. Maybe of all states, NH is the benchmark for our republic once again belonging to the people. They not only gave the GOP control, they gave them absolute, veto proof control in both Houses. And only have Republicans in DC--all conservatives. For too long, the Massholes had control bringing their slave state ideas with them. The people got fed up and the results are obvious.

ldsgeek

Another reason

In New Hampshire, you can't make a living as a career state politician. I believe our state reps and senators have a salary of $100 per year for a 2 year term. They don't want to be stuck in Concord for a long period because it will interfere with their real job/employer. They must do what they need in 45 days or wait until the next session (year). These people do the job because they want to and, being business for the most part, don't want to do any more damage to our economy.

eye95

In New Hampshire, you can't make a living as a career state politician. I believe our state reps and senators have a salary of $100 per year for a 2 year term. They don't want to be stuck in Concord for a long period because it will interfere with their real job/employer. They must do what they need in 45 days or wait until the next session (year). These people do the job because they want to and, being business for the most part, don't want to do any more damage to our economy.

Ah, citizen legislators. We need to get back to that idea nationwide.