Thread: OC'er at Trator Supply, Walmart and Cracker Barrel

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

OC'er at Trator Supply, Walmart and Cracker Barrel

I went to Tractor Supply this evening to check the prices for seed. (I'll stick with the Coop and my farmers discount)...and ran into an OC'er. Turns out he is a Fireman from Richmond.

He was upset that the City policy didn't allow carry. I don't know if that violates Preemption or not????

Anyway, he told me Walmart was posted in Mechanicsville. That didn't make sense because I carry there all the time. I grabbed a camera and went over there. No signs and when I talked to the girl at the door she not only knew the policy but the law. OC is OK, CC with a permit.

Then I decided to go to Cracker Barrel. Aside from their usual weak coffee, no problems, no signs no issues.

Founder's Club Member
    Good to hear Peter Nap! I've never had a bit of issue at any of those 3 places.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Turns out he is a Fireman from Richmond.

He was upset that the City policy didn't allow carry. I don't know if that violates Preemption or not????
    Workplace rules for employees trump preemption.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Yes, state/municipal entities may regulate employee behavior, on and off the job. There are some limits, but as a broad example government can prohibit certain occupational fields (police, fire, EMT. other medical) from all use of any tobacco. It's called a BFOQ (bona fide occupational qualification).

I'm just not sure they can limit off-duty firearms use. Especially based on Heller/McDonald.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Yes, state/municipal entities may regulate employee behavior, on and off the job. There are some limits, but as a broad example government can prohibit certain occupational fields (police, fire, EMT. other medical) from all use of any tobacco. It's called a BFOQ (bona fide occupational qualification).

I'm just not sure they can limit off-duty firearms use. Especially based on Heller/McDonald.

stay safe.
    They can regulate off-duty carry, for instance, a local LEA does not allow officers to OC off-duty...requires them to carry concealed.