• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pierce County Sheriff Community Academy

911Grunt

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/abtus/ourorg/sheriff/academyinfo.htm

We strongly believe that a positive relationship between police and the community is essential to achieve our common goals.
The Community Academy helps build that relationship.

Captain Nik Dunbar originated the Pierce County Sheriff's Department Community Academy in 1992 at the request of then Sheriff John Shields. The academy operates on the belief that the more citizens know about the department, the better relations will be between citizens and law enforcement.

In fact, the mission statement of the academy is: 'Promoting a positive partnership between the community and law enforcement through education.'

UPCOMING SCHEDULE:

http://www.co.pierce.wa.us/pc/abtus/ourorg/sheriff/academyschedule.htm

SOUTH HILL - Classes start January 26, 2011; class is full. Next academy will be held in the Winter of 2012.

UNIVERSITY PLACE - Classes start February 24, 2011; class is full.

PENINSULA - To Be Announced.

PARKLAND - Next academy will be held in the Fall of 2011.

jbone

This was mentioned in Feb, didn't seem to generate much interest!
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?86879-I-have-a-chalange-for-all-of-us

Are you also suggesting a platform for introducing OC education with Peirce County, or as a go and learn about the Sheriff’s department?
If with an OC agenda I don’t believe it’s proper, IMMHO. Realistically, it’s not an issue the effects the masses in the county, yet, and I don’t believe the county would justify the expense of incorporating OC education in the near future, if that were partial motive for attending. They have specific topics as listed on the site, the program participants are not signing up too be part of a focus group, commission, or any policy advisory board. They are signing up too hear about topics as the program curriculum outlines, as presented by those facilitating.
There’s no doubt topics will afford time for questions, like their topic of constitutional law, but don’t expect large amounts of time exhausted on a complaint, question, or concern surrounding OC. It’s called a side-bar, or see-me after class. Face it, this is a structured community service, with budgets, timelines, and objectives.
I don’t believe we’ll see “At the completion of this course the student shall be able to draw a firearm from their safe, beneath their pillow, or vehicle glove box, holster said firearm, walk about the streets, shops, private businesses, and authorized government buildings because the citizens of the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department has been duly educated in the right’s of the OC community.
I say, by all means go for anyone out there interested, not that what I say matters. Take it for what it is, free community education with a “Course Outline” don’t be disappointed when your passion is not their passion at the academy.

Last edited:

911Grunt

This is just a way of seeing how the Sheriffs office operates along with LESA Tacoma (the 911 Center for Police) along with other departments with in the SO (records, detectives, crime lab, jail etc). It also give you some face time with the 2 officers presenting the class and Q&A after the presentations. So this is more of a way of having a idea what goes on and ability to meet and start a communication.

jbone

This is just a way of seeing how the Sheriffs office operates along with LESA Tacoma (the 911 Center for Police) along with other departments with in the SO (records, detectives, crime lab, jail etc). It also give you some face time with the 2 officers presenting the class and Q&A after the presentations. So this is more of a way of having a idea what goes on and ability to meet and start a communication.

+1