Thread: Thanks OCDO and VCDL

Thanks OCDO and VCDL

So I was planning a trip to Charleston this summer with the girlfriend. We wanted to stay at this campground: http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=274

I was looking over their campground guidelines and sure enough, I find this

* Firearms, fireworks, BB guns, or other potentially lethal devices are not permitted on park property.

After a quick google search I find out that SC has preemption. The CCPRC appears to be a government agency, so it's my opinion their firearms ban is illegal. Taking lessons from the VCDL and OCDO members, I knew the first step was to write them a letter:

I am considering using the campground at James Island County Park this summer for my trip to Charleston. I was looking over your campground guidelines (located at the following URL: http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=838). The eighth item down states " Firearms, fireworks, BB guns, or other potentially lethal devices are not permitted on park property"

As you may be aware, South Caroline Code, Section 23-31-510 states that "No governing body of any county, municipality, or other political subdivision in the State may enact or promulgate any regulation or ordinance that regulates or attempts to regulate: (1) the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, or transportation of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, or any combination of these things; or...."
    My question for you is, where does the Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission get its authority from to ban the carrying of firearms by concealed weapon permit holders?
    Less than 24 hours later I had a response:

Thank you for your interest in Charleston County Park and Recreation and specifically camping at James Island County Park. We appreciate your question and this provides us an opportunity to work and verify all our literature is updated and correct. Your are correct in your statement. With a valid issued permit, you have the right to carry a concealed weapon into the park. We will work on updating our information. I will also let you know that we are working with SLED on clarification to the law as it relates to buildings inside a county park facility.

I do appreciate you bringing this to our attention so we can address.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this topic. We hope you have the opportunity to visit and camp with us.
    It was that easy. If it weren't for the example set by others here on OCDO and in the VCDL, I would have never gone through the "trouble" to research it and send them an email. Thanks!

BRAVO!

Good on you...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Charleston, and the rest of the South Carolina low country, is beautiful. Great people, superb food, fine weather.... you'll love it.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Excellent!

Let me add my congratulations and thanks for your action.

Your learning experience will be an example to others that it is in fact possible to fight city hall.

stay safe.

Founder's Club Member
    Wooo hooo! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks. Been contemplating a trip to Charleston in the near future.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by mpg9999 View Post
    So I was planning a trip to Charleston this summer with the girlfriend. We wanted to stay at this campground: http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=274

I was looking over their campground guidelines and sure enough, I find this

* Firearms, fireworks, BB guns, or other potentially lethal devices are not permitted on park property.

After a quick google search I find out that SC has preemption. The CCPRC appears to be a government agency, so it's my opinion their firearms ban is illegal. Taking lessons from the VCDL and OCDO members, I knew the first step was to write them a letter:

I am considering using the campground at James Island County Park this summer for my trip to Charleston. I was looking over your campground guidelines (located at the following URL: http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=838). The eighth item down states " Firearms, fireworks, BB guns, or other potentially lethal devices are not permitted on park property"

As you may be aware, South Caroline Code, Section 23-31-510 states that "No governing body of any county, municipality, or other political subdivision in the State may enact or promulgate any regulation or ordinance that regulates or attempts to regulate: (1) the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, or transportation of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, or any combination of these things; or...."
    My question for you is, where does the Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission get its authority from to ban the carrying of firearms by concealed weapon permit holders?

Less than 24 hours later I had a response:

Thank you for your interest in Charleston County Park and Recreation and specifically camping at James Island County Park. We appreciate your question and this provides us an opportunity to work and verify all our literature is updated and correct. Your are correct in your statement. With a valid issued permit, you have the right to carry a concealed weapon into the park. We will work on updating our information. I will also let you know that we are working with SLED on clarification to the law as it relates to buildings inside a county park facility.

I do appreciate you bringing this to our attention so we can address.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this topic. We hope you have the opportunity to visit and camp with us.

It was that easy. If it weren't for the example set by others here on OCDO and in the VCDL, I would have never gone through the "trouble" to research it and send them an email. Thanks!
    Your letter inquired only about CC. Their reply addressed only CC.

Where does that leave the question of OC?

Quote Originally Posted by USNA69 View Post
    Your letter inquired only about CC. Their reply addressed only CC.

Where does that leave the question of OC?
    According to the OCDO map, South Carlolina doesn't allow OC period. http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    According to the OCDO map, South Carlolina doesn't allow OC period. http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html

Yep! That's one of the reasons I didn't want that yahoo coming to Va for his demonstration. They need to sweep their own floors before they come here to wash the laundry.

Founder's Club Member
    That yahoo was from Georgia if I recall correctly where OC is legal generally.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Appreciate your taking the direct approach mpg9999 - frequently initiating a simple inquiry solves problems w/o any fuss.

Nice job!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    That yahoo was from Georgia if I recall correctly where OC is legal generally.
    And SC and Florida...as I recall.
    You must have forgotten the South Bronx comment.

I Knew The Minute I Sent It ...

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    ... that I should have done my homework. I look at those OC Maps all the time.

My Bad!!

And I say......

Score!
    Last edited by The Wolfhound; 03-17-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wolfhound View Post
    Score!

Oh yeah...I forgot..

WELL DONE!

Centurion
    It's gun owners/activists like you that make VCDL what it is!

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    It's nice to see that you educated yourself and took the initiative to make the corrective action instead of just simply "reporting" it to someone else to handle. We need MORE of YOU. :-) Thanks again.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Strength in numbers translates best in active members.

Thanks for proactive mpg9999.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.