• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thanks OCDO and VCDL

mpg9999

So I was planning a trip to Charleston this summer with the girlfriend. We wanted to stay at this campground: http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=274

I was looking over their campground guidelines and sure enough, I find this

* Firearms, fireworks, BB guns, or other potentially lethal devices are not permitted on park property.

After a quick google search I find out that SC has preemption. The CCPRC appears to be a government agency, so it's my opinion their firearms ban is illegal. Taking lessons from the VCDL and OCDO members, I knew the first step was to write them a letter:

I am considering using the campground at James Island County Park this summer for my trip to Charleston. I was looking over your campground guidelines (located at the following URL: http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=838). The eighth item down states " Firearms, fireworks, BB guns, or other potentially lethal devices are not permitted on park property"

As you may be aware, South Caroline Code, Section 23-31-510 states that "No governing body of any county, municipality, or other political subdivision in the State may enact or promulgate any regulation or ordinance that regulates or attempts to regulate: (1) the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, or transportation of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, or any combination of these things; or...."
My question for you is, where does the Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission get its authority from to ban the carrying of firearms by concealed weapon permit holders?

Less than 24 hours later I had a response:

Thank you for your interest in Charleston County Park and Recreation and specifically camping at James Island County Park. We appreciate your question and this provides us an opportunity to work and verify all our literature is updated and correct. Your are correct in your statement. With a valid issued permit, you have the right to carry a concealed weapon into the park. We will work on updating our information. I will also let you know that we are working with SLED on clarification to the law as it relates to buildings inside a county park facility.

I do appreciate you bringing this to our attention so we can address.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this topic. We hope you have the opportunity to visit and camp with us.

It was that easy. If it weren't for the example set by others here on OCDO and in the VCDL, I would have never gone through the "trouble" to research it and send them an email. Thanks!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Let me add my congratulations and thanks for your action.

Your learning experience will be an example to others that it is in fact possible to fight city hall.

stay safe.

USNA69

So I was planning a trip to Charleston this summer with the girlfriend. We wanted to stay at this campground: http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=274

I was looking over their campground guidelines and sure enough, I find this

* Firearms, fireworks, BB guns, or other potentially lethal devices are not permitted on park property.

After a quick google search I find out that SC has preemption. The CCPRC appears to be a government agency, so it's my opinion their firearms ban is illegal. Taking lessons from the VCDL and OCDO members, I knew the first step was to write them a letter:

I am considering using the campground at James Island County Park this summer for my trip to Charleston. I was looking over your campground guidelines (located at the following URL: http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=838). The eighth item down states " Firearms, fireworks, BB guns, or other potentially lethal devices are not permitted on park property"

As you may be aware, South Caroline Code, Section 23-31-510 states that "No governing body of any county, municipality, or other political subdivision in the State may enact or promulgate any regulation or ordinance that regulates or attempts to regulate: (1) the transfer, ownership, possession, carrying, or transportation of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, or any combination of these things; or...."
My question for you is, where does the Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission get its authority from to ban the carrying of firearms by concealed weapon permit holders?

Less than 24 hours later I had a response:

Thank you for your interest in Charleston County Park and Recreation and specifically camping at James Island County Park. We appreciate your question and this provides us an opportunity to work and verify all our literature is updated and correct. Your are correct in your statement. With a valid issued permit, you have the right to carry a concealed weapon into the park. We will work on updating our information. I will also let you know that we are working with SLED on clarification to the law as it relates to buildings inside a county park facility.

I do appreciate you bringing this to our attention so we can address.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this topic. We hope you have the opportunity to visit and camp with us.

It was that easy. If it weren't for the example set by others here on OCDO and in the VCDL, I would have never gone through the "trouble" to research it and send them an email. Thanks!

Your letter inquired only about CC. Their reply addressed only CC.

Where does that leave the question of OC?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Appreciate your taking the direct approach mpg9999 - frequently initiating a simple inquiry solves problems w/o any fuss.

Nice job!

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
It's nice to see that you educated yourself and took the initiative to make the corrective action instead of just simply "reporting" it to someone else to handle. We need MORE of YOU. :) Thanks again.