• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why I like my XD

Locklear

After reading the first paragraph of that article, I've never wanted to reach through my computer screen and slap the **** out of someone this badly before. Calling a gun a "wanna be Glock" just because of the polymer frame?

The guy who wrote that article is an idiot. There's nothing more annoying than Glock fanboys.

Locklear

13 times. The author mentions Glocks 13 times in that very short article.

I can guarantee that after all those tests were performed, he STILL rose his nose, sneered, and said in a nasally voice "The XD is okay, but I think I'll stick with my Glock!"

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
13 times. The author mentions Glocks 13 times in that very short article.

I can guarantee that after all those tests were performed, he STILL rose his nose, sneered, and said in a nasally voice "The XD is okay, but I think I'll stick with my Glock!"

So, what, you think it's impressive that you can do a text search? But that you don't bother to actually read?

The Author said:
Conclusion
Damned impressive. Of course the Glock (and other guns, as well) should be able to handle this kind of abuse. The point of this test wasn't to diminish any existing brand but to get a picture of the capabilities of the XD, which is a relatively new product. I completed this test with a great deal of admiration for this handgun. So much so, in fact, that it is now my nightstand gun. More than 20,000 rounds later, with no failures to feed or fire and hardly any wear to the gun's finish, I have no trouble whatsoever betting my safety on its performance.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Superlite27

...of the XD, which is a relatively new product.

Really? In that case, I wonder what he'll think of the future. I heard a rumor that Springfield Armory was going to redesign the XD and call it the XDm.

I wonder when those will be coming out?

Something tells me he'll be fascinated by this "relatively new" rifle called an "AR-15".

This gun critic is cutting edge, I tell ya'! Cutting edge!

Locklear

So, what, you think it's impressive that you can do a text search? But that you don't bother to actually read?

:rolleyes:

I did read the article, actually. It seemed to me that it wasn't so much as an XD review, but more of a "let's see if the XD is as good as the almighty Glock".

In my opinion, a "reviewer" loses all credibility when he proclaims himself a fanboy of anything. This line especially made me laugh...

I did not want to like this gun. I've always been a strong Glock fan, and it annoyed me that yet another company wanted to jump on the polymer bandwagon with a rehash of old concepts and designs.

Because any gun with a polymer frame is a Glock knock-off, amirite?

KansasMustang

Really? In that case, I wonder what he'll think of the future. I heard a rumor that Springfield Armory was going to redesign the XD and call it the XDm.

Something tells me he'll be fascinated by this "relatively new" rifle called an "AR-15".

Uh,,sorry to tell you,,they already have redesigned it and released the XDM uh,,,a year4 or so ago?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Guys, that review is hosted by SA themselves.

If they push it as an exemplar of their product's capability, who are we to argue?

The author's statement about the XD's age probably reflects when the article was written.

Johnsmith1521

Glocks are overrated... but to each his own, but when it comes to "plastic" guns, I'll stick with my XD45... I don't see myself buying a glock ever again...

kinda reminds me of the HK

same torture tests, the HK had a few more. The XD seems like a great weepon!! As Major Rufus Cobb said in Jesse James.....

Aknazer

Glocks are overrated... but to each his own, but when it comes to "plastic" guns, I'll stick with my XD45... I don't see myself buying a glock ever again...

I got to shoot my first glock yesterday. It was a friend's .45 (I forget the exact model, I think he said it was a glock 29) and I just didn't like how it felt. The thing felt more like a toy than an actual gun (the feel of the plastic) and the grip was simply too big for my tastes. It really reminded me of some of the guns I've "shot" at arcades for some reason.

My one complaint with the XD and XDMs is this. After putting 200 rounds through my 40 and another 100 rounds through my wife's 9mm the molding started to cause a blister between my thumb and index finger. Maybe if I were to grip the gun tighter or wear gloves it wouldn't of been an issue, but that's hard to judge without shooting it more. Although even with the rubbing issue I did notice that when my hands got sweaty I didn't have any issue holding onto the gun, which is the intent of the design of the molding and would be very useful in a real life situation where your hands are wet (sweat, rain, just washed your hands, etc).

Tawnos

You and locklear do realize this is a very old review, right? It came out not too long after the HS2000 was renamed the XD for the US market. Because it reads to me like you don't understand that, which makes you the fool, not the author.

Johnsmith1521

I got to shoot my first glock yesterday. It was a friend's .45 (I forget the exact model, I think he said it was a glock 29) and I just didn't like how it felt. The thing felt more like a toy than an actual gun (the feel of the plastic) and the grip was simply too big for my tastes. It really reminded me of some of the guns I've "shot" at arcades for some reason.

My one complaint with the XD and XDMs is this. After putting 200 rounds through my 40 and another 100 rounds through my wife's 9mm the molding started to cause a blister between my thumb and index finger. Maybe if I were to grip the gun tighter or wear gloves it wouldn't of been an issue, but that's hard to judge without shooting it more. Although even with the rubbing issue I did notice that when my hands got sweaty I didn't have any issue holding onto the gun, which is the intent of the design of the molding and would be very useful in a real life situation where your hands are wet (sweat, rain, just washed your hands, etc).

I didn't like the way it felt either... that's why i sold mine along time ago... a glock is a glock and it does what it's supposed to do which is shoot... it is a reliable gun but it just feels all wrong... Maybe the 4th gen will fix that issue, I haven't held one yet but like i said, i'm not going to go out of my way to buy a glock...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
The XD45 was the first handgun I bought, I still love it and carry it quite frequently. I do not own a Glock and never will.

irish52084

I bought an XD sub compact in 40, carried it for a year and then sold it to buy a glock 32. I owned the glock for a few months, began to hate it and realized I'd made a mistake. I sold the glock and bought an XD service in 357 Sig.

I love my new XD. My first XD had a marginal trigger when I first got it, but broke in nicely. My newest XD has a fantastic trigger, light and as crisp as a stock XD trigger can be expected to be. Once this trigger gets about 200 more rounds through it, it should be sweet.

For me, the glock grip just wasn't right and I felt like I was making a lot of compromises with the gun overall. It functioned perfectly for me and was accurate, but didn't point naturally for me and would rub a nasty blister on the 2nd knuckle of my middle finger after shooting more than 100 rounds. I also didn't like the plastic night sights, seemed kind of cheap and lazy to me.

REALteach4u

Stupid XD's, I refuse to shoot them now. Every time I manage to shoot one it tries to follow me home and that always starts a fight with my Glocks! :banghead:

Last edited:

SPRINGFIELDMAN-21

My biggest problem with glock is i tended to shoot high with em. I think its the angle of the grip. My buddy has never had that problem with his tho so i think its all in what ya like and i love my XD45 tactical.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. Thomas Jefferson