• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open-carry law expected to pass ‎MyFox Tampa Bay seen this last night

hammer6

at the 1:35 mark, the dude says, "we do have a lot of people down here from states that don't even allow you to have a gun pretty much." ummmmm which state would that be where you aren't allowed to own a gun? as i remember- wasn't there just a huge lawsuit filed in DC a few years ago?

Kingfish

We met Lamecha Mingo as she was shooting her brand new Glock 40 caliber. She said she bought it for protection, and she likes the idea of carrying it in the open.
"You never know. Just in case something happens, you have that weapon there, maybe you can scare them off, use it to defend yourself," she said.
Is that a Glock she is actually firing at 1:56? Does not look like it to me.

Kingfish

at the 1:35 mark, the dude says, "we do have a lot of people down here from states that don't even allow you to have a gun pretty much." ummmmm which state would that be where you aren't allowed to own a gun? as i remember- wasn't there just a huge lawsuit filed in DC a few years ago?
He did say "Pretty much". It is damn hard in parts of NY, NJ, IL, DC, and other places to own a handgun.

hammer6

He did say "Pretty much". It is damn hard in parts of NY, NJ, IL, DC, and other places to own a handgun.

yeah but his point was that people from those states would come down here and open carry....which won't and CAN'T happen...i was just implying that there's no state that prohibits gun ownership...right??

77zach

If Open Carry scares the people from NY and NJ away, this will be the greatest and most important piece of legislation passed in the history of the state of Florida. Unfortunately, almost no one except "law enforcement officers" will freak out about it, and they will be few too.

hammer6

If Open Carry scares the people from NY and NJ away, this will be the greatest and most important piece of legislation passed in the history of the state of Florida. Unfortunately, almost no one except "law enforcement officers" will freak out about it, and they will be few too.

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

~*'Phoenix'*~

:rolleyes:
yeah but his point was that people from those states would come down here and open carry....which won't and CAN'T happen...i was just implying that there's no state that prohibits gun ownership...right??

Full prohibition throughout a State? No.
Full prohibition in a non-state? Yes, DC allowed no legal handgun ownership for many years. I think it was finally ruled unconstitutional, but they still can't carry.
Nearly full prohibition in cities/districts - NYC and Chicago. That's what sucks about lack of pre-emption in many states.
NY, IL, HI, CA, NJ have serious hurdles to getting a carry permit.

But yes, those who have carry permits/licenses from their state, if recognized by FL, will be able to CC or OC just like us when they're visiting, and to them I say "Carry On!"

Kingfish

I took it to mean those folks would not like it and not return to spend tourist dollars.

koja1962

these cops are "IDIOTS" I have several friends that are leo's and they are o.k. with it(o.c) . the sheriff of hillsbourough county thinks that everyone attending gasparilla day is going to be drunk and o.c.ing. again what an idiot. im not a leo basher again i have several friends that are leos and i respect them for what they do but it seems the people that don't want o.c. in the state of florida put the law abiding cetizens and common criminals in the same group. and come on a 40 hour course on holding on to your gun if the bg tries to grab it.

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran

Hey now, we ain't all bad, some of us "get it" and can think beyond an emotional kneejerk reaction. I was born and raised in Cali the second and I was the first one to suggest a petition to OC in Florida here in this forum. One of the main reasons I left NY was because of the ever increasing hoops and rings of fire they made you jump through to own a handgun, much less carry it in any useful way and I'll leave here too if this bill doesn't pass. That's how important it is to me, course it isn't the act of OC'ing itself...it's the principle that's of main import. Why stay in a minority state that doesn't recognize constitutional rights when 43 others do? One could say my fate is tied up in legislature at the moment as failing to pass here, I'll wait and see what happens in Texas with it's OC bill, that fails I'll see ya in Virginia.

77zach

Hey now, we ain't all bad, some of us "get it" and can think beyond an emotional kneejerk reaction. I was born and raised in Cali the second and I was the first one to suggest a petition to OC in Florida here in this forum. One of the main reasons I left NY was because of the ever increasing hoops and rings of fire they made you jump through to own a handgun, much less carry it in any useful way and I'll leave here too if this bill doesn't pass. That's how important it is to me, course it isn't the act of OC'ing itself...it's the principle that's of main import. Why stay in a minority state that doesn't recognize constitutional rights when 43 others do? One could say my fate is tied up in legislature at the moment as failing to pass here, I'll wait and see what happens in Texas with it's OC bill, that fails I'll see ya in Virginia.

Glad you are here. I was speaking in generalities. I'm with you. It's the principle. There are some states I refuse to live in. ca, il, ny,nj,ri,ct,ma,md

mach116993

Glad you are here. I was speaking in generalities. I'm with you. It's the principle. There are some states I refuse to live in. ca, il, ny,nj,ri,ct,ma,md

Whats wrong with ct? Ct is the only state with the board of firearms! Ct is an oc state and does not have many restritions>

77zach

Whats wrong with ct? Ct is the only state with the board of firearms! Ct is an oc state and does not have many restritions>

Ct has an "assault weapons" ban. That is, rifles most effective for militia use. For example my FAL and AR would be illegal in Ct. As important as OC is, I would never ever trade military pattern long gun possession for it.

Rich7553

if open carry scares the people from ny and nj away, this will be the greatest and most important piece of legislation passed in the history of the state of florida. Unfortunately, almost no one except "law enforcement officers" will freak out about it, and they will be few too.

hah!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

+ bajillion

bigtim6656

I say on the day it passes everyone OCs for the day :lol::banana::idea:

Plus even being a part time resident and switching between indiana and florida atleast for the next 6 months to a year screw the tourist, if your afraid GO HOME.
I grew up in a gun free home, not my folks were against it, just my mom was afraid of having guns in the home. Now SHE JUST DEALS WITH IT LOL
I see no issue here, and do not get why LE does, heck I have talked about it with the local cops here in town even though it is indiana seems most are ok with it. I asked one officer about being pulled over, I asked do I need to inform you or another officer. He said it is not the law that you do so, but some want you to and some don't I could careless either way. A different officer told me I should inform them.

SO I say lets see just which way the dangerous line goes.