• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open-carry law expected to pass ‎MyFox Tampa Bay seen this last night

nigmalg

I feel like the news has more info about this bill than us :p. They said the bill is expected to pass with a vote likely in the next week or two, but I see nothing even scheduled.

I did notice HR517 seemed to have "skipped" the Agriculture committee and gone onto the Judiciary? probably just a detour.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
There is no budgetary impact in the bill for the Agriculture and Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee to provide oversight for in this bill. It is appropriate that the subcommittee not be involved.

nigmalg

There is no budgetary impact in the bill for the Agriculture and Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee to provide oversight for in this bill. It is appropriate that the subcommittee not be involved.

Who has the authority to make that call, or skip a committee? There is so much for me to learn.

The Senate Judiciary Committee put out their meeting notice for March 22 8:00AM. I didn't see SB234 on this notice. Might we be skipping next week in the Senate?

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Who has the authority to make that call, or skip a committee? There is so much for me to learn.

The Senate Judiciary Committee put out their meeting notice for March 22 8:00AM. I didn't see SB234 on this notice. Might we be skipping next week in the Senate?

The senate president's office and the house speaker's office assign bills to the committees that have oversight related to the bill. This bill has no appropriations in it.

Anything I could say about the committee schedules would be pure speculation. Just keep an eye out for our alerts.

Last edited:

randian

NY, IL, HI, CA, NJ have serious hurdles to getting a carry permit.
I'd be happy if CA honored out of state permits, so I could protect my friends in CA when I visit them :lol: Interestingly, there are a few CA counties that issue permits for self defense, but since CA law requires you be a resident of the issuing county (so no out of state people need apply either), that's worthless for those living in the major metros since they're functionally no-issue.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

Which department does the licensing?

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

FL DOACS

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Licensing, etc....

They have to check to make sure that it won't have such an impact... Pick some nits, talk about how OC might make them revoke more permits or something. Who knows. I'm sure some Democrat wants to change the Fees or shorten the duration between renewals.

This isn't a Judicial process. It is a Legislative process, they DO have an interest in reviewing and possibly amending it; it's the very same department that issues the permits...

Last edited:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Which department does the licensing?

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

FL DOACS

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Licensing, etc....

They have to check to make sure that it won't have such an impact... Pick some nits, talk about how OC might make them revoke more permits or something. Who knows. I'm sure some Democrat wants to change the Fees or shorten the duration between renewals.

They aRE the department that issues the Licenses. To not hit their committee would seem inappropriate. Besides, I'd rather have it there than other places it could go...

Removing a stop sign has nothing to do with the driver's license office. Even if it did, that was an appropriations committee.

Last edited:

randian

We also lost reciprocity with Nevada by going to 7 years. Not that I'll ever go there, but still.
I also heard that Nevada was complaining their LEOs couldn't access Florida's CCW database. Fortunately, non-resident Nevada CCW licenses are easy to get, and their non-resident permits have reciprocity with Minnesota, one of the gaps in Florida's reciprocity set. That gives you pretty much full CCW coverage outside the Northeast, CA, OR, and HI.

FLEMTP

these cops are "IDIOTS" I have several friends that are leo's and they are o.k. with it(o.c) . the sheriff of hillsbourough county thinks that everyone attending gasparilla day is going to be drunk and o.c.ing. again what an idiot. im not a leo basher again i have several friends that are leos and i respect them for what they do but it seems the people that don't want o.c. in the state of florida put the law abiding cetizens and common criminals in the same group. and come on a 40 hour course on holding on to your gun if the bg tries to grab it.

Well... currently you can be drunk and concealed carrying a pistol. There is NO law against drinking alcohol while armed or even being drunk while armed.. the only law in FL is against the USE of a firearm while intoxicated. The bill that is being passed thru congress right now wont change that either, so if someone WANTED to go to Gasparilla day and be snot faced drunk and open carrying, it would be legal, but certainly not a smart thing to do. There is also no 40 hour course requirement on weapons retention, that was removed from the bill shortly after it was added.