• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When and where will you OC if SB 234 becomes law?

Mas49.56

for real?

Hahaha no just a joke. Maybe Starbucks and Walmart would be better to bust my OC you know what. Yes on the G21 though, I've been itching to carry that big old thing, the G23 is my usual CC pistola. It's going to be real nice hiking in the parks without sweating all over my gun. Definitely carrying printouts of the new law til the Law Dogs, park rangers etc... get up to speed. I will educate anyone that asks. Hey! We will need info cards like the other states.

Mas49.56

One thing that just hit me is that I will be able to carry openly at my family and friends houses now. (if it passes)

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I make sure that I receive mail (and have permission to do so) at the addresses of all of the Friends and Family I want to OC/visit.

Cops are quite familiar with the "If you get mail there, they aren't trespassing, it's their home" what with all the room-mate quarrels and wannabe evictions.

I got the address on an envelope with my name on it. Go on and tell me it's not my home. So I have 15 homes. What?

77zach

One thing that just hit me is that I will be able to carry openly at my family and friends houses now. (if it passes)

I don't think you really have to worry about that now. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for OCing on private property if they are a specifically invited guest, regardless of what the law says.

It absolutely amazes me that the state presumes to tell us what we can do on any private property, as if it is not at the sole discretion of the property owner. Hard core tyranny, that is.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
It's a by-product to the roots of how law is done in Florida. Blanket prohibition, then poke the exceptions in to 'allow' us humble subjects to do certain things under certain circumstances. That particular exception was never paid for in defense, so it doesn't exist yet.

Last edited:

bigtim6656

Ohh about anywhere it is legal. I figure a shirt over the gun and I will be good. It would be nice to not worry about it when I return from indiana. Up here we can do what ever. Besides a few :eek: looks I have had little issue, I got pulled over and was not even asked to hand over my gun.

Will I walk around Miami OC well maybe, most of my time will be spent around the keys, fishing and such. Some trips to the glades for some fun. and some up to ft lauderdale beach for some shore diving. TO me it is more our right and we should have the right, and not worrying and wondering did my gun show when I bent over

Rick H

Just to get the party started.

Hell I plan to carry my Western style Rutger 357 mag in a Western holster dropped low, my Smith & Wesson 40, model 411, and if i'm feeling lucky maybe my 40 Springfield to boot, all at the same time just for shits and giggles, this way they will never think i'm LEO and they can start to ask questions and I can School them. Might as well get it out in the open early and educate the sheeple and get them use to the idea.
And I plan to OC where ever and when ever and how ever possible.
I have been talking with all the local businesses and letting them know what was coming and finding out about their feelings and so far all good but we will see.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
If sb 234 passes, hopefully it won't be another 23 years between OC and constitutional carry. BTW, somehow I got on the Georgia gun owners mail list and they're angry about GA lawmakers trying to give themselves constitutional carry. Big mistake. Let em do it. Then in future sessions make as much noise as possible about how they think they're better than you. It will give a huge boost for any efforts to make ga a permitless state.
Actually, passing such a law is a big mistake. Those who write the laws should not make themselves above the law. I have strongly opposed similar bills in West Virginia (e.g., 2011 HB 3093 (exempting constitutional officers and state employees with concealed handgun licenses from State Capitol carry ban); 2009 HB 3248 (exempting members of the West Virginia Legislature from requirement of license to carry a concealed weapon)).

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
I'm heading to Buffallo Wild Wings and Toys-r-us to get kicked out day one!:p
OCing a big old Glock21, two spare mags and a knife.:eek:

That's how unlicensed open carry got banned in 1987. People testing out the new law by OCing in places where they knew it would get a negative response.

Ease in to it. You can't normalize OC for the public by being "in your face" about it on day one.

j4l

Anywhere/everywhere 24/7, that I can lawfully do so. A loud and proud .45 on the hip the way God, Sam Colt and John Moses Browning intended--weather and appropriate attire permitting.

Work, of course, will not permit carry, so it will be secured during those times.But I mostly telecommute, so rarely an issue there. Weddings, kid's birthdays, events like that will CC instead, but otherwise game-on. Loud n Proud.

j4l

That's how unlicensed open carry got banned in 1987. People testing out the new law by OCing in places where they knew it would get a negative response.

Ease in to it. You can't normalize OC for the public by being "in your face" about it on day one.

Absolutely. This should'nt be about "nya nya look what I can do". We're adults with real firearms, and a public not yer accustomed to seeing folks packing.Not kids showing off their new cap guns to the rest of the block. Why this need to "challenge" everyone? (biz/LEO's ,etc) Just wear the damned thing, and go about your biz normally just like any other day.
IF it becomes an issue for someone-why turn it into a confrontation/argument/ political debate? Just tell em to mind their biz, and drive on, or just hand em a copy of the Statutes,once theyre avail, and go on about your way.

maps761

I already have my Serpa holster coming. It should be here Monday. When the time arrives, I will start slowly, probably walking the dog in my neighborhood, then work up from there. Everywhere else, it will be really nice not worrying about printing, accidental exposure, etc.

My major carry gun is an XD 40 Subcompact, an evil black gun. Maybe for dinner out, I'll switch over to a stainless steel .357 revolver. It looks less intimidating even though it's a hand cannon.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Absolutely. This should'nt be about "nya nya look what I can do". We're adults with real firearms, and a public not yer accustomed to seeing folks packing.Not kids showing off their new cap guns to the rest of the block. Why this need to "challenge" everyone? (biz/LEO's ,etc) Just wear the damned thing, and go about your biz normally just like any other day.
IF it becomes an issue for someone-why turn it into a confrontation/argument/ political debate? Just tell em to mind their biz, and drive on, or just hand em a copy of the Statutes,once theyre avail, and go on about your way.

:banana::monkey:banana:

timf343

Campaign Veteran

I agree completely. Here's a little background.

I'm moving from Las Vegas to Florida next week (unfortunately, FL and NV no longer have reciprocity, so I just applied for my FL CCW last week).

OC has always been legal here, but Las Vegas police were not well educated on the laws (or rather, lack thereof). After I was detained OC'ing down the strip, the police went through mandatory training on open carry, and after we were sure they were well aware of the laws, a large group of us met up on the strip. Dozens of us open carried on a busy weekend night.

Police were polite and courteous (we engaged them, not the other way around), even offering to take pictures with us in front of their patrol cars, etc. We have since met on the strip several times, without a single incident.

But had we tried to do our strip get together before the police were trained, our first meetup would likely have ended very differently...

Ease into it and be patient. A little effort (and patience) goes a long way. I know you fine folks have had to put in more than a little effort to get these bills to where they are today, but it's just the first part of the battle.

The next will be working with police departments to train them that normal, daily open carry is not cause for "Code 3" response (lights/sirens), it's not something they can punish you for with charges like "disturbing the peace", and they don't need to do a "felony stop" to detain you (turn away from the officer, put your hands on your head, get on your knees, kiss the pavement).

Once the public sees police responding calmly or not at all to lawful OC, they should hopefully become less apprehensive. Another important training measure is to teach 911 dispatchers to question callers about whether the gun they're reporting is being open carried in a holster, or it's being used in a crime. Stopping 911 calls before they get to police is another important step in getting the public used to open carry.

Since being trained, the Nevada forum has gone from 1 negative experience a week to 2 positive ones. The same will happen in Florida too. It'll just take some peaceful activism and some patience. I can't wait to join you and be apart of it.

j4l

I'm moving from Las Vegas to Florida next week (unfortunately, FL and NV no longer have reciprocity, so I just applied for my FL CCW last week).

OC has always been legal here, but Las Vegas police were not well educated on the laws (or rather, lack thereof). After I was detained OC'ing down the strip, the police went through mandatory training on open carry, and after we were sure they were well aware of the laws, a large group of us met up on the strip. Dozens of us open carried on a busy weekend night.

Police were polite and courteous (we engaged them, not the other way around), even offering to take pictures with us in front of their patrol cars, etc. We have since met on the strip several times, without a single incident.

But had we tried to do our strip get together before the police were trained, our first meetup would likely have ended very differently...

Ease into it and be patient. A little effort (and patience) goes a long way. I know you fine folks have had to put in more than a little effort to get these bills to where they are today, but it's just the first part of the battle.

The next will be working with police departments to train them that normal, daily open carry is not cause for "Code 3" response (lights/sirens), it's not something they can punish you for with charges like "disturbing the peace", and they don't need to do a "felony stop" to detain you (turn away from the officer, put your hands on your head, get on your knees, kiss the pavement).

Once the public sees police responding calmly or not at all to lawful OC, they should hopefully become less apprehensive. Another important training measure is to teach 911 dispatchers to question callers about whether the gun they're reporting is being open carried in a holster, or it's being used in a crime. Stopping 911 calls before they get to police is another important step in getting the public used to open carry.

Since being trained, the Nevada forum has gone from 1 negative experience a week to 2 positive ones. The same will happen in Florida too. It'll just take some peaceful activism and some patience. I can't wait to join you and be apart of it.

Concur.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran

This is exactly what we have been doing with our open carry fishing events. We coordinate with the local city or county attorney's office to make sure that the PD/Sheriff is properly informed on the law and that the patrol officers and 911 dispatchers are properly trained.

As a result of doing this before we hold the first event in a new town, we have had zero negative interaction with law enforcement. There have also been zero 911 calls despite sometimes having hundreds of people open carrying and fishing in some locations and only a few in others. Tampa PD, Jacksonville PD, Port Orange PD, Ft. Myers PD, and St. Augustine PD have all had open carry training.

We will make sure to put out an info packet for law enforcement and carriers to help facilitate proper training on the new law when/if it is passed.

Last edited:

j4l

Great plan. Very pro. May I suggest, also,joining and inter-acting with, the local SHADCO (Sheriff's Advisory Council) in those counties that have one.
And, for those counties that dont yet have one-this would be an ideal oppty to help them set one up. This way, youre in on the ground-floor, so to speak, with local PD from day one-with this issue being the precursor that kicked it off.
Jacksonville SHADCO is currently beginning to work with St. Aug/St. Johns in helping them set one up- Im sure folks in other counties could inquire about doing so through them-

http://www.coj.net/Departments/Sher...en+Involvement/Sheriffs+Advisory+Councils.htm

I know some anti-LEOS in here will take my involvement with such an outfit as some kind of sell-out, or sleeping with the enemy. Far from it- when I joined them, It was from the standpoint of a highly critical one, a disgruntled victim. I did not go into it smiling and hey! buddy, how are you. By any means.
But- direct contact and involvement, with them through such an outfit -done professionally, rather than emotional/irrarationally, has led to their being much more open to constructive criticism and working together to try to make some things right in our area.

Last edited:

77zach

Actually, passing such a law is a big mistake. Those who write the laws should not make themselves above the law. I have strongly opposed similar bills in West Virginia (e.g., 2011 HB 3093 (exempting constitutional officers and state employees with concealed handgun licenses from State Capitol carry ban); 2009 HB 3248 (exempting members of the West Virginia Legislature from requirement of license to carry a concealed weapon)).

Oh no, it's beyond outrageous. I'm just saying that it makes sense to cultivate the outrage and use it against the enemy.

Mas49.56

Read the whole thread. It was just a joke. I know better than that. I'm still CC at malls and anti gun places that I MUST go to.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Read the whole thread. It was just a joke. I know better than that. I'm still CC at malls and anti gun places that I MUST go to.

I know it was a joke coming from YOU. But we all know that there are people on THIS site who have done these types of things and we have all paid the price.