• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Vehicle

meggers

Well... I think I have my answer -- thanks :)

On a side note, I keep hearing many gunshop owners telling me of some statute that says that a gun cannot be accessible by the driver. I've never read anything of that nature, however, in the laws. I think they mean that it's good practice if you want to be on the safe(r) side, but I've never seen a law to support this.

Thoughts?

ak56

Campaign Veteran

On a side note, I keep hearing many gunshop owners telling me of some statute that says that a gun cannot be accessible by the driver. I've never read anything of that nature, however, in the laws. I think they mean that it's good practice if you want to be on the safe(r) side, but I've never seen a law to support this.

Thoughts?

No such law in Washington state. Can't give you a cite, because, well, you can't cite something that doesn't exist.

skiingislife725

Thoughts?

I've heard so much garbage passed on by other gun "enthusiasts" and gun shop workers. A lot of the times I've just got to put on the "in one ear, out the other" mode because it's not worth arguing with the guy. But if nothing else, remember this: do not trust anything anyone else tells you about laws, until you check it out yourself...and that includes cops and gun store owners/gun instructors.

That said, it does help to get pointed in the right direction.

As for the driving while having access to a gun...haven't heard anything about it and I don't see it as being on the safe side either. In fact, I remember reading about a guy who got into a gunfight and didn't have his spare mag on him or his cell phone (had it in the console)...couldn't get to it when he jumped out of his car. And couldn't get them after because of the investigation. If anything, you SHOULD have it on you so it's in your control.

Edit to add: The guy also ran out of ammo. And just beat the perp to tackle him before he reloaded. Which also reminds me of another story about a wheelgun guy...who had to plead for his life as he got shot in the head. Survived though...lucky bastard.

Last edited:

amlevin

I remember reading about a guy who got into a gunfight and didn't have his spare mag on him or his cell phone (had it in the console)...couldn't get to it when he jumped out of his car. And couldn't get them after because of the investigation. If anything, you SHOULD have it on you so it's in your control.

Edit to add: The guy also ran out of ammo. And just beat the perp to tackle him before he reloaded. Which also reminds me of another story about a wheelgun guy...who had to plead for his life as he got shot in the head. Survived though...lucky bastard.

Sounds like a couple of people who needed some training in marksmanship. Running our of ammo either means you were outnumbered by a whole bunch or you can't hit $h!t and knock them out of the fight.

Last edited: