• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally Stopped

mobodyguard

Ladies and gents of open carry Missouri especially those of the greater kansas city area. For those of u that know me i always talk about for the three years i have been open carrying i have never been stopped.

Well I was stopped today in line at the walgreens on linwood and prospect in kansas city missouri. The officer said excuse me sir and i just played him off, he said it again and i turned around and he waved me over and i came and he said " do u know that u need to leave that in your car" and i said no and he asked if i had a CCW and i said yes. he asked me for id and i said no.

He said that if i was going to be carrying i needed my id and i said not if im open carrying. I asked him was he a law enforcement officer he said yes, then i said well if u r then u should know the laws and know that i dont need a CCW to open carry. He keep asking for my ID and i keep saying no and i asked him was i free to go and he just waved me off (like saying just leave), i went back to the counter and checked out. LOL

Law enforcement officer need to know the laws that they our enforcing, i need to just go and complete my P.O.S.T training and teach these officer how to properly enforce Laws. Later Open Carry of Missouri

protect our rights

Ladies and gents of open carry Missouri especially those of the greater kansas city area. For those of u that know me i always talk about for the three years i have been open carrying i have never been stopped.
Well I was stopped today in line at the walgreens on linwood and prospect in kansas city missouri. The officer said excuse me sir and i just played him off, he said it again and i turned around and he waved me over and i came and he said " do u know that u need to leave that in your car" and i said no and he asked if i had a CCW and i said yes. he asked me for id and i said no.
He said that if i was going to be carrying i needed my id and i said not if im open carrying. I asked him was he a law enforcement officer he said yes, then i said well if u r then u should know the laws and know that i dont need a CCW to open carry. He keep asking for my ID and i keep saying no and i asked him was i free to go and he just waved me off (like saying just leave), i went back to the counter and checked out. LOL
Law enforcement officer need to know the laws that they our enforcing, i need to just go and complete my P.O.S.T training and teach these officer how to properly enforce Laws. Later Open Carry of Missouri

Good job. One LEO at a time.

Mo

Banned
Good story. Whenever I'm lucky enough to move back to Missouri, I'd like to attend one of your get togethers.

I am getting tired of hearing the bold face lies being told to OCers about ID.

Superlite27

I asked him was he a law enforcement officer he said yes, then i said well if u r then u should know the laws and know that i dont need a CCW to open carry.

If he said he was a police officer, you should have turned the tables on him!

Ask him for his I.D.!

If he was truly a police officer, you couldn't be expected to comply with his demand unless he could prove he was actually an officer.

Then after he did, I'd continue to inform him that you are only required to show your CCW only if you are concealing....which you weren't.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mobodyguard
I asked him was he a law enforcement officer he said yes, then i said well if u r then u should know the laws and know that i dont need a CCW to open carry.

Ask him for his I.D.!

If he did not produce his ID, I would have put in my own call. Impersonating a police officer is an offense.

mobodyguard

Ask him for his I.D.!

If he was truly a police officer, you couldn't be expected to comply with his demand unless he could prove he was actually an officer.

Then after he did, I'd continue to inform him that you are only required to show your CCW only if you are concealing....which you weren't.

Next time i will do that, and yes i did inform him that i only needed to show my CCW if i was concealing, but he keep demanding to see my ID, but thats when i asked him am i free to go

kylemoul

i would of made him walk up to you. id be mad that he made me get out of line.

i would of said there is no city ordinance restricting open carry, but short and sweet. good to ask the "am i free to go" very early on IMO

chakragod

Woo! I've yet to stopped by law enforcement, and I've actually only had one person ask me about my gun outside of our meetings.

It was, funnily enough, the automotive manager at Wal-Mart while the wife and I were getting our tires changed. It basically went like this:

"Are you a cop?" (Oh god...)

"No, I'm not, just a citizen."

"Why do you have that gun there?"

"For my and my wifes personal protection."

"....in Wal-Mart?" (lol)

"Yes, anywhere it's allowed, and Wal-Mart's corporate policy follows the state and local laws regarding carrying, so it's legal in Missouri and the city of St. Joseph."

"Ok, I was just wondering since you didn't look like a cop haha, I'll have to look that up."

kylemoul

well yea...its walmart. always full of crazies.

google "people of walmart"...im sure most of you have already.

bushwacker

Woo! I've yet to stopped by law enforcement, and I've actually only had one person ask me about my gun outside of our meetings.

It was, funnily enough, the automotive manager at Wal-Mart while the wife and I were getting our tires changed. It basically went like this:

"Are you a cop?" (Oh god...)

"No, I'm not, just a citizen."

"Why do you have that gun there?"

"For my and my wifes personal protection."

"....in Wal-Mart?" (lol)

"Yes, anywhere it's allowed, and Wal-Mart's corporate policy follows the state and local laws regarding carrying, so it's legal in Missouri and the city of St. Joseph."

"Ok, I was just wondering since you didn't look like a cop haha, I'll have to look that up."

next time it mite be good to say something like, well I guess you haven't googled shooting at wal-mart and seen the long list, humm maybe that why wal-mart has those color codes for level of threat. and what color is the one that says man with gun ?can you remember?