• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Editorial opposing restaurant carry

tak2w

From today's Daily Reflector (Greenville)

http://www.reflector.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-balance-gun-laws-354473

The establishment of a Republican majority in the General Assembly all but assured a push to loosen restrictions on gun owners in North Carolina. Some of these suggested changes seem worthy of consideration, like the so-called Castle Doctrine, which assumes the right of an individual to use deadly force when acting in self defense in a home, car or place of business.

However, one proposed change, which would allow citizens with concealed-carry permits to bring their weapons into places that serve alcohol, stretches the boundary of propriety. There are some places where an influx of firearms threatens to do more harm than good, and Greenville's representatives should be among those standing in opposition to this change.

With the GOP winning majorities in the state House and Senate for the first time in more than a century, it is no surprise that some issues sidelined by Democratic leadership for years would be dusted off for debate. Laws involving the purchase, possession and use of firearms make an easy target for Republican lawmakers seeking to appease their conservative base, though many suggestions find favor among Democrats, as well.

The N.C . Senate S.B. 34, known as the Castle Doctrine, is one example. Individuals should have the right to defend themselves in their home, car or place of business when the threat of harm is evident. The argument that the statute would encourage vigilante justice is excessive in its fear.

In contrast, the state law prohibiting concealed weapons in bars and restaurants is well founded. The state has a vested interest in keeping firearms away from places that serve alcohol, despite laws that make it a crime to drink while carrying a gun. Just as the state continues to fight those who operate a motor vehicle after drinking, it need not condone potentially putting a deadly weapon within reach of the irresponsible.

Expect staunch defenders of the Second Amendment and gun enthusiasts to trot out the familiar arguments about self defense and citizens' rights. This time that rhetoric rings hollow. While there does exist the basic right to own a gun and, when properly trained and licensed, to conceal and carry that weapon, even the most responsible firearm advocates should recognize the inherent danger in mixing booze and bullets.

Greenville struggles with the number of patrons already frequenting its bars and restaurants. Adding more firearms to the mix seems a recipe for disaster. Those who represent this community should not allow that to happen.

tak2w

Please comment on this editorial

If you are a subscriber to the Daily Reflector, please post a comment response to this editorial. If you are not a subscriber and would like to comment, post here or PM your comments to me and I will post them for you.

I am still trying to formulate my comment. I had one typed, but deleted it and decided to re-think my response. I would love to be able to cite some statistics to back up my arguments (number of states who already have restaurant carry, etc.) If you have any suggestions let me know.

M

mattwestm

The problem with articles like this is that they don't mention anything about Outback, Applebee's, or even Cubbie's. People are only thinking about CHP holders getting piss-ass drunk downtown in a bar. If someone is stupid enough to break the law by drinking and carrying, they are going to carry in a restaurant regardless of the law being present.

I've never been to a bar downtown, nor do I plan on it, but it would be nice to be able to carry in some of my favorite restaurants that serve alcohol. I think Texas has a law stating that you can't carry in a place that generates more than 50% of their income from serving alcohol. The only places that includes are bars. I'm not sure how well that would work in NC and how you would determine it...]

It also pisses me off that some people in the state have such a low opinion of CHP holders. If someone took their time and spent their money to obtain a CHP legally, why would they go and do something stupid like drinking and carrying? I feel like telling these people to do some research on states that allow carry in restaurants serving alcohol. How many times do you hear about a CHP holder in another state getting into a drunken brawl and shooting someone? NEVER

Last edited:

elixin77

Here's a comment from me:

To those who think that people with a CHP (concealed handgun permit) are going to drink while carrying: think again (to 2012). It is illegal, by state law, for a person who is concealing their firearm to let even a sip of alcohol cross their lips (i.e., they can't blow above a 0.00 on a BAC test). If they do drink, and they get caught, they're in for some bad juju, to say the least.

"But why do you need a gun out in public? It's not like your going to defend yourself there." (to Dorsey) Oh yeah, because, you know, people aren't raped in public either. Or mugged. Or shot. Just because you cross the threshold of your house doesn't mean you don't stop defending yourself to the best of your ability. As to your question about how many times I hear about people stopping a crime with a gun, or having their home broken into? That happens a lot - where have you been, in lala land? Hows this for some statistics (http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp):

* At the current homicide rate, roughly one in every 240 Americans will be murdered.[23]
* A U.S. Justice Department study based on crime data from 1974-1985 found:
• 42% of Americans will be the victim of a completed violent crime (assault, robbery, rape) in the course of their lives
• 83% of Americans will be the victim of an attempted or completed violent crime
• 52% of Americans will be the victim of an attempted or completed violent crime more than once[24]
* A 1997 survey of more than 18,000 prison inmates found that among those serving time for a violent crime, "30% of State offenders and 35% of Federal offenders carried a firearm when committing the crime."

Now, I personally don't want to become a statistics. However, I'm also not going to let myself become a statistic either, and I do that by carrying with me everywhere I can legally go. I'm not compensating for anything (don't know why people think that), I'm not scared of anything: I carry for my protection, because Pitt county is actually a fairly dangerous place. Just the other night, there was a small shootout near ECU, where 2 people were shot and a 3rd was injured. Did they need a gun out in public? You betcha. Oh, and before people start touting about how police are supposed to protect everyone - they're not legally obligated to (read up on Warren vs. DC - police have no legal obligation to protect anyone at all)

Your argument is invalid, Dorsey - crime happens everywhere, even in the most rural areas. I will carry for protection, and I will keep myself safe.

Bearfoot

To Dorsey: I believe you to be one of those people in the tv commercial about car insurance, "Have you been living under a rock?!"

Just a little something for thought:

"If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk, and spoons make people FAT. Remember: Hold the person accountable for their actions, not the means they chose to utilize!"

I have concealed and open carried many places, and been thanked on occasion by the manager/owner/staff. Although it does not automatically put up a force field around you and your loved ones, it does provide a better sense of security and protection from those who wish to not abide by the law. Criminals will go where they can ply their trade of dishonesty.

jerz_subbie

My response to Dorsey:
Contradictory much? You stated that there is a law that forbids CHP holders from carrying a weapon while intoxicated and I don't know of anyone who would appose that law. However you close your piece by saying "even the most responsible firearm advocates should recognize the inherent danger in mixing booze and bullets." No one wants to mix booze and bullets!
Have you ever gone to lunch at a Applebees(or similar)? Because they serve alcohol we have to disarm to eat; I frustratingly run into this situation too often. What is so dangerous about carrying a concealed weapon while out to lunch for a burger and sweet tea? Are you claiming that the guy at bar may come over to me and try to disarm me while I'm eating? How would he know if I'm carrying concealed? It makes no sense. I'm glad to see that you support the castle doctrine but your argument against restaurant carry has a few holes.

Resto Guy

I have to think that this story is the root of the response posted by the Reflector. This is the hottest story in the area right now, and is gun and alcohol related. Never mind the other facts surrounding the circumstances, that place the shooting outside of the club.
Sadly, one of the victims was someone I knew, a friend of my son.

http://www.reflector.com/news/opening-statements-possible-today-trial-354569

Dreamer

I've posted one of my usual long-winded responses to this article.

Hopefully it will wake a few people up...

paramedic70002

Post this:

Restaurant carry is NOT a bad idea because in all the other states that allow it, including VA, there has NOT been a surge of drunken restaurant shootings. Just another quiet example of how it works when the government trusts the citizens.
But don't let evidence get in the way of so called 'common sense' and good old fashioned hysteria.

Smith45acp

My tact with these guys is always to compare and contrast with THEIR favorite amendment. Why don't we put together some "common sense" laws and ordinances on the rights of the press?

Why not come up with some regulatory acts that would stop people like Julian Assange? Look, we're not going to INFRINGE on the 1A, these will just help stop the "bad guys" from doing bad things with their printing presses and computers. Don't worry, if you're not one of those types this won't even really effect you!

If all media and reporters could simply pass an ethics test before typing away, and have the BATFE's soon to be named cousin take a quick peek at your work before you publish I think it would go a long way toward making the news safer for us all.

Last edited:

tak2w

Post this:

Restaurant carry is NOT a bad idea because in all the other states that allow it, including VA, there has NOT been a surge of drunken restaurant shootings. Just another quiet example of how it works when the government trusts the citizens.
But don't let evidence get in the way of so called 'common sense' and good old fashioned hysteria.

The comment I already posted was very similar to this. Great minds think alike. :)

chiefjason

So they just assume everyone's going to drink huh?

I went into a restaurant that serves today for lunch. What they heck, I was unarmed anyway since I drove 20 minutes away for a function at a school. Usually I pick a restaurant I can carry at. But the craziest thing happened. They sat us right next to the bar, can you believe that? I mean, all that evil alcohol right there. What's a man to do? I ordered sweet tea. It can happen.

Last edited:

x3atthis

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that there is NO federal law against the consumption of alcohol while open carrying...correct? The only legislation direct refers to concealed carrying? I tried to search to double check but it can get difficult when you're searching for a statute that possibly doesn't exist, lol.

Anyway, assuming that is the case, that under federal law the only alcohol consumption addressed and banned is while carrying a concealed weapon, and I'm pretty sure its the same in North Carolina, you would think these folks would be more upset about the fact I can get hammered and still legally have my gun on my hip, rather than whether or not I can go to Applebee's.

sultan62

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that there is NO federal law against the consumption of alcohol while open carrying...correct? The only legislation direct refers to concealed carrying? I tried to search to double check but it can get difficult when you're searching for a statute that possibly doesn't exist, lol.

Anyway, assuming that is the case, that under federal law the only alcohol consumption addressed and banned is while carrying a concealed weapon, and I'm pretty sure its the same in North Carolina, you would think these folks would be more upset about the fact I can get hammered and still legally have my gun on my hip, rather than whether or not I can go to Applebee's.

You are correct concerning state law. I am unaware of the federal legislation you are referring to.

rotorhead

Troof.

Federal law is silent on the matter. In fact, most gun legislation that affects us and our every day carrying is state law, not federal.

Dreamer

Post this:

Restaurant carry is NOT a bad idea because in all the other states that allow it, including VA, there has NOT been a surge of drunken restaurant shootings.

Except in MD, where drunken off-duty cops seem to be involved in a LOT of fights that result in shootings...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/crime/blog/2010/06/city_officer_shoots_man_after.html

http://ourtaxdollarsatwork.wordpres...re-current-off-duty-alley-execution-shooting/

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2010/12/06/baltimores-drunk-and-armed-police-rule-questioned/

papa bear

I've posted one of my usual long-winded responses to this article.

Hopefully it will wake a few people up...

i think your comment in the paper was well put. just like all of the other thinking people responses were. i have run into the similar editorial in the Mt. Airy news and have been trying to come up with a response. i would like to incorporate some of the responses and comments i read.
hb-111 is a bill i have been following closely. it does cover carry in the parks also. please contact the state reps. on the GRNC site and make some noise