• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Goldsboro

Brion

So I just PCS to Goldsboro, NC and was wondering how friendly this town was to Open Carry. I don't currently OC because my only weapon right now is a S&W .41 Rem Mag revolver with a 5in barrel. It's a little less than a hand cannon and ammo is a little hard to find. I want to get rid of it and was thinking of trading it in to get an XD.

Anyway I went to WT Guns here in town and asked about CCP and PPP. Was wonder about how long does it take the Wayne County SO to hand out PPP? Anything you locals can offer is appreciated.

elixin77

Welcome to OCDO. While I'm not familiar with how Goldsboro is with OC'ers, I'm fairly positive that you should be fine.

Don't know how long it takes that counties sheriff to give you a PPP either, but most counties in this state give them to people either that day or the day after. And for clarification, we have a CHP (concealed handgun permit) here.

Don't know what your schedule is like, but we're having a range day tomorrow (19th) at Paradise Hunting Preserve if you would like to join us. Check out the ENC Range day thread for more info

Brion

So I just got off the phone with my SD here in Goldsboro. It's a 2week wait after you apply for the PPP. This law has got to go. At least you can get 4 at a time when you go in and apply. I got no problem with droppin $20 to keep me from having to do this again.

sultan62

I don't go to Goldsboro often, but I was OCing there earlier this week with no problem. I just OCd at the Swop Shop and Wilber's BBQ.

Side note on Wilber's-it's one of the weirdest BBQ chicken plates I've ever had. The chicken is covered in what is basically a mix between BBQ sauce and gravy, with some Tabasco thrown in for good measure. It was very different, but very good. Their hushpuppies are delicious, as well.

sultan62

So I just got off the phone with my SD here in Goldsboro. It's a 2week wait after you apply for the PPP. This law has got to go. At least you can get 4 at a time when you go in and apply. I got no problem with droppin $20 to keep me from having to do this again.

There's a bill up for that right now.

Spearhead

I live in Goldsboro. The "2 week" thing is just to cover their ass because they do the deskwork whenever they get around to it. They always tell you two weeks.
Usually my PPP's come within a week. At gun shows at the Armory they have a deputy who calls your info in and they issue the PPP in 10-15 minutes. I think I've only had one PPP that actually took 8 or 9 business days.

The "waiting period" is whenever the deputy gets around to doing it.

I OC around Goldsboro most of the time. I've never had an issue. If you get pulled over (traffic stop) usually the cop will take your gun and run the serial number to make sure it isn't stolen, then give it back to you. While I don't agree with that policy, it really isn't an option.

If you want to go to the range someday on 581 PM me.

Downlaoid the NC OC flyer if you haven't already.

Wild Indian Gun Co. on 13 never gives me any grief if I OC there. Four Seasons on Ash st. doesn't either. WT's guns on 70 Hwy is skeered and you can't carry in there. They got signs on the door.

Last edited:

Brion

Well I got my .45 and got what I think is a good deal on it. So now I'm looking for a place to shoot and WT's is not the place. Don't feel like doin $10' for 30min. That and the ammo there is not for target practice however they did seem a bit low on stock. Can't wait to shoot this puppy. :banana:

Spearhead

You may want to check out http://www.encfiringrange.com/index_files/Page266.html

I haven't been there myself, but I hear good things.

I'm a member there. $15 fee if you're not a member. Makes no difference if you shoot 10 minutes or 8 hours....still $15.00.

Memberships are currently $140 for 14 months. That is going up very very soon from what the owner told me. They got regular shooting booths, reactive targets, moving targets, and you can shoot handgun, rifle (260 yds), & shotgun.

sultan62

I'm a member there. $15 fee if you're not a member. Makes no difference if you shoot 10 minutes or 8 hours....still $15.00.

Memberships are currently $140 for 14 months. That is going up very very soon from what the owner told me. They got regular shooting booths, reactive targets, moving targets, and you can shoot handgun, rifle (260 yds), & shotgun.

The website indicates $15 for nonmembers accompanied by members, $20 for anyone else.

Brion

Been a busy day, just managed to read your posts. So I just got done loading my magazines and I'm a little agrivated. So I got the XD compact 5" .45 and I could have sworn the extended mag was supposed to be not only an "extended Mag" and have 13 rounds. But it only had 10 with the little grip extension. So now I have two 10 rd mags but one just makes it look like a service model.

Eh, oh well, I guess I can buy some bigger mags since I have the grip extension. There are plenty of aftermarket products for this pistol right?

M

mattwestm

I've heard good things about this place too. http://wtsguns.com/

I wish I had an indoor range around here. Goldsboro is about an hour away, so it's a little too far. Takes me about 30 minutes to get to my usual outdoor range. In the summer it's mad hot outside though.