• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Signs Preventing Carry

steveincowtown

Hey AZ Oc'ers,

I am a former resident of Scottsdale, and now a resident of TX...with a short stop in VA.

There are some folks in TX that think if we ever get OC, signs will go up EVERYWHERE preventing OC or CC. When AZ enacted CC OC, did any of you find this to be the case? Did signs go up everywhere? What was your experience?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not in Arizona personally, but living in Va. and having visited other states with similar circumstances, the response is simply: Business as usual.

Changes in gun laws do not make otherwise good people conduct themselves poorly.

JesseL

Could we get some clarification on the question? Arizona never enacted OC, and we've had CC since 1994.

So are you asking about when we first got concealed carry 17 years ago?

bushwacker

I have an experience for ya ...I was getting my truck a delux washin at the truck spa across the street from the flyng j in phoenix (not saying the name here) and went in the drivers door ,,the back door ... and security nicely asked me to leave my gun in the truck that they have put up signs in the front doors and she knows that they have none at drivers entrance. I then turned to pay for my wash and then it hit me so I told the cashier you know what ,I served in the military for all the constitutional rights and I understand that they have a right to say who carries and who don't on their property. but ,I can't support anti-constitutional business so, deal is off. Cause a clean trk ain't that important. ( that right for all you grammerista's out there I said ain't .you see I am from the south ,, we can say that cause we're special :D ) I then went to leave and before I got to my rig the general man was there just a asking why and I said the same thing his response was , well I just got out of the marines and you are right and to hell with that sign and he was going to get rid of it and thanks for standing for the rights that we served for. Got my trk washed and oc'ed inside at same time ...the gen man was a really nice guy,... but wait there is more ..... After leaving danny's truck spa:D I went to the truck stop across the street (ain't saying the name here :lol:)and noticed that they had no guns sign. so ,I went in without gun and got must have been about 40 bucks worth of stuff ,got in line and when I was one person from cashier, I said loudly with attempted supprise in vioce"all hell they have a no gun sign on their door , well with all the young men and women dying for our rights, It's just ain't right to do business here" then I set my things on the counter and said" thats it I am out of here", then left ... but this time no one stopped me. made me kinda feel like that dude in the song ...signs signs everywhere signs yeah , what I did mite not be so cooth but if we all did that then maybe these stores would see just how much signs like that effects their business, Allright now ,reread all of this again but this time put a forrest gump sound to that reading voice in your head ....your gonna love it.

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

Sure did - but OC was never illegal before that. Primary difference this change was that no permit now required to CC.

Neither was CC... but few carried CC 'n the reciprocity thing came up. Actually... how you carried never seemed to be an issue 'til the media hyped it up post '68 riots. (Not here) You were either heeled or not (State Constitution). All this CC 'permit' crap poisoned the well... 'n the noobs movin' in didn't know any better.

acmariner99

I didn't see a flurry of signs pop up all over the state when Constitutional Carry was passed last year. But, I did see a "no-guns" sign at my favorite restaurant in Prescott. Though I never asked them about it directly, they know me really well and they know that me and my friends talk about guns often. The sign did come down this past January so when I am not in the mood for a beer, I CC. I am wondering if the sign went up because of Constitutional Carry and came down when they realized the sky wasn't going to fall.

JesseL

I didn't see a flurry of signs pop up all over the state when Constitutional Carry was passed last year. But, I did see a "no-guns" sign at my favorite restaurant in Prescott.

May I ask which restaurant that is?

I did see a number of restaurants put up sign after restaurant carry was passed.

AZkopper

Speaking of Prescott, while Moctazuma's and the Bird Cage both post 'no firearms' (and given their clientel, I understand), the Palace Saloon does not post!!!!! Yee-ha!!

<edit> and before you jump on me for saying it, it seems that both of those bars cater to problem children. It seems it is always either 'biker night' or 'urban thug' night there. Most of the problems on the row I've ever heard of come from those two places.

Last edited:

JesseL

The Palace is the only saloon I ever frequent, and that's really for the food and atmosphere. It's always good to see Dave walking around with his Remington.

When I took my CCW class with Insight back in 2005, a bunch of guys from Matt's Saloon were also in the class. No idea if Matt's is posted now, but you can bet a good portion of their employees are packing.

randian

Speaking of "no carry" signs, is it a per-se crime to CC in an establishment that has a "no guns" sign posted, or is it simply trespassing should you both (a) be discovered, and (b) refuse to leave or remove your weapon?

azcdlfred

Speaking of "no carry" signs, is it a per-se crime to CC in an establishment that has a "no guns" sign posted, or is it simply trespassing should you both (a) be discovered, and (b) refuse to leave or remove your weapon?
If it's a place that sells booze for consumption, it's a Class 2 Misdemeanor (ARS 4-244.29 & ARS 4-246.A) to be caught inside unless you are seeking help for an emergency or looking for the no guns sign.

For other business that post signs, you're dealing with a trespassing issue.

Fred

randian

For other business that post signs, you're dealing with a trespassing issue.
Since I basically never go to bars, that bit shouldn't be a problem. For the rest, it sounds like it isn't a problem unless you refuse to leave if asked and force the owner to call the cops. Are AZ cops in the habit of automatic arrests for criminal trespass? That is, you're in a place with a "no guns" sign, you walk by a cop (or they walk by you) and they happen to notice (or suspect) a concealed firearm and arrest you on the spot, without any complaint?

Last edited: