Thread: Waiting for CPL

Waiting for CPL

It's been about two weeks since I applied for my CPL and I have since purchased and received a new pistol. I was told by one of the gunsmith's that King county gets really backed up in doing CPLs and to expect it to take the full 30 days. He also said, however, that if you purchase a gun around the same time that the paperwork all goes through the same office and it can go faster (e.g. 8-15 days).

Has that been anyone's experience? I wonder if I could call the Records Division at the Court House and see if they could check the status of my license. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by meggers View Post
    It's been about two weeks since I applied for my CPL and I have since purchased and received a new pistol. I was told by one of the gunsmith's that King county gets really backed up in doing CPLs and to expect it to take the full 30 days. He also said, however, that if you purchase a gun around the same time that the paperwork all goes through the same office and it can go faster (e.g. 8-15 days).

Has that been anyone's experience? I wonder if I could call the Records Division at the Court House and see if they could check the status of my license. Hmm...
    You could call but the most common response is that they have up to 30 days to give it to you.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

King County takes 30 days, whether there is a backlog or you are the only one.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Quote Originally Posted by j2l3 View Post
    King County takes 30 days, whether there is a backlog or you are the only one.
    Gotta love it!

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Island County too. Government efficiency at it's finest.

You know, all the efficiency and process improvement folks will tell you to handle a piece of paper only once, if at all possible. Pick it up, process it, get it out the door. That's the way to be efficient.... not pick it up, look at it, well it's got two more weeks, put it back, pick it up, well it's got 13 more days, put it back, etc...

They only do it because they can, and it's a power trip for them.
    You would think with $55.25 they could at least get it done in a week... I'd totally pay extra just so I don't have to wait 30 days too.

You would think with $55.25 they could at least get it done in a week... I'd totally pay extra just so I don't have to wait 30 days too.
    My first two were in less than 5 days. My last renewal was nine.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

I just go in a couple of months before my old one expires and that way I don't care. I'm covered, regardless.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

It's not a matter of what they can or can't do. On an average citizen, with no flags, they will get the required background check results back within a week. They simply refuse to give you the piece of paper until day thirty because they can.
    Actually, the background checks come back within minutes of running them. More normally, within seconds. That's why the Sheriff's Office in Silverdale can issue while you wait.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

I would like to see them amend the CPL law to require them to issue the CPL within 48 hours of receiving the background check results or at 30 days if the results of the background check are not received. The amendment could be passed on the basis of improving efficiency and lowering costs. It's simply more efficient and cost effective to process the CPL when it's done, rather than to track when the 30 days is up.

I agree. However, as vindictive as they sound they can just simply push foward the inquiry to still meet thier self imposed 30 day issue date.

It's simply more efficient and cost effective to process the CPL when it's done, rather than to track when the 30 days is up.
    Not to mention the cost of the envelope, stamp, and Union Hourly Rate for licking both.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"