• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waiting for CPL

meggers

It's been about two weeks since I applied for my CPL and I have since purchased and received a new pistol. I was told by one of the gunsmith's that King county gets really backed up in doing CPLs and to expect it to take the full 30 days. He also said, however, that if you purchase a gun around the same time that the paperwork all goes through the same office and it can go faster (e.g. 8-15 days).

Has that been anyone's experience? I wonder if I could call the Records Division at the Court House and see if they could check the status of my license. Hmm...

joeroket

It's been about two weeks since I applied for my CPL and I have since purchased and received a new pistol. I was told by one of the gunsmith's that King county gets really backed up in doing CPLs and to expect it to take the full 30 days. He also said, however, that if you purchase a gun around the same time that the paperwork all goes through the same office and it can go faster (e.g. 8-15 days).

Has that been anyone's experience? I wonder if I could call the Records Division at the Court House and see if they could check the status of my license. Hmm...

You could call but the most common response is that they have up to 30 days to give it to you.

meggers

Island County too. Government efficiency at it's finest.

You know, all the efficiency and process improvement folks will tell you to handle a piece of paper only once, if at all possible. Pick it up, process it, get it out the door. That's the way to be efficient.... not pick it up, look at it, well it's got two more weeks, put it back, pick it up, well it's got 13 more days, put it back, etc...

They only do it because they can, and it's a power trip for them.

You would think with $55.25 they could at least get it done in a week... I'd totally pay extra just so I don't have to wait 30 days too.

j2l3

It's not a matter of what they can or can't do. On an average citizen, with no flags, they will get the required background check results back within a week. They simply refuse to give you the piece of paper until day thirty because they can.

Actually, the background checks come back within minutes of running them. More normally, within seconds. That's why the Sheriff's Office in Silverdale can issue while you wait.

Lovenox

I would like to see them amend the CPL law to require them to issue the CPL within 48 hours of receiving the background check results or at 30 days if the results of the background check are not received. The amendment could be passed on the basis of improving efficiency and lowering costs. It's simply more efficient and cost effective to process the CPL when it's done, rather than to track when the 30 days is up.

I agree. However, as vindictive as they sound they can just simply push foward the inquiry to still meet thier self imposed 30 day issue date.