• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was stopped by a LEO this morning.......

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I was walking my two little dogs this morning at Bloedel Donovan Park as I do three times a day. I saw a LEO (turned out to be Border Patrol) trying to get into the park bathrooms, we were about 100 meters away and he did not see us. We continued our walk. As we were walking across the parking lot, I heard him start up and drive my way. He came up from behind me, slowed down and opened his window............

He: Good Morning Sir.
me: Good morning Officer.
He: Are you doing OK this morning?
me: I'm getting by, How about you?
he: How long have you been Open Carrying?
me: Since I got up this morning.
he: (a chuckle) Nice to see it, more people should.
me: This is not a peaceful area.
he: Really?, it seems quiet.
me: Gangs activity within a mile, a recent drive by, a stabbing at the park a half mile away. You know, usual stuff.
he: you be safe Sir.
me: You too Officer.

cool

1911er

We need to have moreLEO's like that instead of the ones that stop you at gun point because they think you" might comit a crime" like what happened to Mr. John T Williams may he R.I.P.

skiingislife725

How long have you been open carrying?

Since I got up this morning.

lol That's an awesome response. Love it! And great encounter too. We need more of those guys.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Did not get a name or ID. He did not ask me, I showed the same courtesy. He was, 5'10" caucasion male, 185lb, short hair, appx 28-34 years, clean shaven wearing a green battle dress w/black weapons platform. He was driving a White w/green Border Patrol SUV. Very well mannered. Could have been because I am old tho.

sudden valley gunner

Did not get a name or ID. He did not ask me, I showed the same courtesy. He was, 5'10" caucasion male, 185lb, short hair, appx 28-34 years, clean shaven wearing a green battle dress w/black weapons platform. He was driving a White w/green Border Patrol SUV. Very well mannered. Could have been because I am old tho.

I think I met that guy, the border patrol guys seem to be all on board, I have several that are neighbors, they all are pretty cool. (except the one convicted for "rape" of the 14 yr. old living with him). They never had anything negative no looks or anything about OC. I do believe many LEO monitor these threads.

Oh yea and boulevard park can be a very very bad park to be at especially unarmed.

KBCraig

FYI, Border Patrol are federal agents with law enforcement powers, but I don't think any state gives them dual authority. So, unless they're enforcing immigration laws, they have no general authority to enforce laws -- none at all when it comes to state laws.

I only mention this because it wasn't really a LEO encounter when it comes to open carry -- he's got zero authority over you carrying a gun.

The Patriot

How sweet is that. I wish it could go so well all over the country. LEO's should know we are just law abiding citizens who try to ease their problems for detering a would be criminal from victimizing us. Great encounter.

DevinWKuska

He prolly didnt harass you because you didnt say "eh" at the end of every sentance. So unless you were wearing a turbin and a shirt saying "Kill the Infidels" you prolly werent illegal. Good to know he had a sense of humor. Now if only the police at the mexican border had a sense of humor....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP
me: This is not a peaceful area.
he: Really?, it seems quiet.
me: Gangs activity within a mile, a recent drive by, a stabbing at the park a half mile away. You know, usual stuff...

Ideal Cop: "Oh, then you should be carrying a[strike]n AR or SMG[/strike] back-up gun." (Oops. Off-topic.) :D

Last edited:

Aaron1124

FYI, Border Patrol are federal agents with law enforcement powers, but I don't think any state gives them dual authority. So, unless they're enforcing immigration laws, they have no general authority to enforce laws -- none at all when it comes to state laws.

I only mention this because it wasn't really a LEO encounter when it comes to open carry -- he's got zero authority over you carrying a gun.

I am pretty sure any Federal LEO can enforce state or local laws if they are violated in their presence. I will try to cite a source in a bit.

For example, if an off duty FBI agent is at an ATM during the time of a bank robbery, I believe he can still make an arrest (non citizens) and bring in the proper jurisdiction in the meantime.

amlevin

I am pretty sure any Federal LEO can enforce state or local laws if they are violated in their presence. I will try to cite a source in a bit.

For example, if an off duty FBI agent is at an ATM during the time of a bank robbery, I believe he can still make an arrest (non citizens) and bring in the proper jurisdiction in the meantime.

A "Citizen's Arrest under Color of Law" would be one method.

ANYONE can perform a Citizen's Arrest, including Federal Officers in circumstances you described.

5jeffro7

He prolly didnt harass you because you didnt say "eh" at the end of every sentance. So unless you were wearing a turbin and a shirt saying "Kill the Infidels" you prolly werent illegal. Good to know he had a sense of humor. Now if only the police at the mexican border had a sense of humor....

is it jsut me, or is this statement bothering to anyone else?

can we stop with all the stereotypical BS with regards to nationality & religion....a turban alone does not make one suspect.

this kind of **** is one of the reason I frequent this place less and less...I sure as hell don't want to be associated with a group who thinks that the "non-whites" are the reason for troubles & the ones to be watched

<stepping off my soap box now>

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
is it jsut me, or is this statement bothering to anyone else?

can we stop with all the stereotypical BS with regards to nationality & religion....a turban alone does not make one suspect.

this kind of **** is one of the reason I frequent this place less and less...I sure as hell don't want to be associated with a group who thinks that the "non-whites" are the reason for troubles & the ones to be watched

<stepping off my soap box now>

+1

It get's very old that people lower themselves to stereotyping race, nationality, religion, et al instead of dealing with actual behaviors and choices. Even when done in jest or with sarcasm they are demeaning and arrogant.

amzbrady

Or, No comprende, Habla Espaniol?

KBCraig

a turban alone does not make one suspect.

Not to mention, those who wear turbans as part of their religion are among our strongest allies.

Hint: they're also required as an article of faith to carry knives at all times, but to never draw it from its sheath unless drawing blood is justified.

sudden valley gunner

I work with and for a lot of guys that wear turbans and carry the knives.

Most have a great sense of humor and wouldn't have found much offense in the comments posted in jest. I also have much family that isn't "white", and you should hear the jokes they say.......

We have a strong proponent of OC who happens to be from that culture. I miss Manu my paji I should give him a call one of these days.