Thread: First OC in Belmar area

First OC in Belmar area

I bought a Fobus Tactical Holster for my Full size .40 Px4 with tac light and laser. I been combing these forums for tips and advice for weeks to build confidence. It's the first day of Spring Break so I decided to finally OC. Invited a friend to tag along and seeing his surprise when he saw my sidearm hanging off me. Went to Noodles & Co near Belmar for lunch and it was packed. Walked in casually and just talked with my friend while we queued in line. I got the uneasy glances I expected heheh. Then the cashier took our orders, glancing as well. Since it was packed, we decided to sit outside. I had to make the extra effort to walk almost sideways since the sidearm jutted out quite a bit. After lunch, we visited the new Target across the street. Since I always leave my sidearm in the glove box, I sorta forgot it in there as we admired the cart escalator. Then we headed to Home Depot to find some replacement shower door parts. The looks came again, but just ignored most of them.

Overall, it's gonna take some time to get used to the looks but it went ok.

Welcome to the forum. The wife and I love your state so much. We hope to be out there for good soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blcfalcon1 View Post
    Since I always leave my sidearm in the glove box, I sorta forgot it in there as we admired the cart escalator.
    You forgot it in the glove box before going into Target? Why not just keep it in the holster?

I tried to leave it in the holster, but my aftermarket racing seat wouldn't allow it to fit comfortably.

I tried to leave it in the holster, but my aftermarket racing seat wouldn't allow it to fit comfortably.
    Right...LOL So, I guess either a new holster or new seats are in your future?

love the holster...spent about 45 mins shaving off parts of it to fit the Px4....so im getting new seats heheh

blcfalcon1, maybe one of these days I'll run into ya over at Belmar. Lately I've been taking the dog for a walk at Belmar Park just south of shopping area then on the way home we head over to Belmar to walk around for a bit. Last week the security guard in the white pickup was following us for a bit, but after 3 Lakewood police officers drove by w/o incident he must have figured everything was all good. I thought for sure I was going to have my first encounter with the police that day, but to my surprise none of the cars stopped. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

damn buddy you got a lot of looks,
    i open carry a S&W 686 stainless with a 6" barrel and no one even seems to notice it on me.....

but i have never OC'd in belmar so, it might be a location thing

Have to carry cross draw or shoulder in the Vette. Don't care to rip the leather bolsters with the butt of a gun. Both are the best way to carry in any car, so hardly a problem.

i do cross draw, but the holster is positioned where the seat REALLY pushes back on the action...my seat is sorta form fitting to my body...really snug heheh

I live not far from Belmar and find myself there quite often. The Verizon store there and the library are almost used to me carrying there. Many looks, but no words. I don't think anyone at Cold Stone has even noticed me. Home Depot I'm in about once a week, never a problem.

As with most other places, if I am comfortable they are too. But it does take a minute to be comfortable carrying when you haven't before. Now after nine years I can still remember the awkwardness of the first few times.

just went on another OC adventure to my dentist in Saudi Aurora and PetsMart in Lakewood...its comfortable now

I'm an avid and experienced "Belmar" carrier. Be very wary of the posted signs in the many parking garages. The signs are posted banning Open Carry. I'll take a picture next time I'm there.

I visited the new Target, concealed, because I parked in the garage and already knew there is a habit of posting signs. Turns out I didn't see any in the garage under Target.

DEFINITELY Posted in the garage adjacent to Dick's Sporting Goods.

BTW I'm glad you posted this thread. I posted a similar Belmar thread last year.

Makes me glad to know more than one or two people are OCing there. Seriously I always feel alone!

i have a small frame...so its extremely difficult to conceal a full size...its like trying to smuggle a cinder block under my shirt

cscitney87- I remember reading your Belmar post awhile ago and have avoided the garages there since. I agree about being glad about more of us OC around there. Maybe one day it will become as normal as it should be.

saudi aurora LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    I live not far from Belmar and find myself there quite often. The Verizon store there and the library are almost used to me carrying there. Many looks, but no words. I don't think anyone at Cold Stone has even noticed me. Home Depot I'm in about once a week, never a problem.

As with most other places, if I am comfortable they are too. But it does take a minute to be comfortable carrying when you haven't before. Now after nine years I can still remember the awkwardness of the first few times.
    so you can carry in the Jeffco libraries? I thought that was against county law.

I may be mistaken about that. I'm pretty sure all denver county libraries are off limits to carry of any kind.
    Last edited by bomber; 03-21-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    so you can carry in the Jeffco libraries? I thought that was against county law.

I may be mistaken about that. I'm pretty sure all denver county libraries are off limits to carry of any kind.
    But Jeffco isn't Denver county. Unless I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by mahkagari View Post
    But Jeffco isn't Denver county. Unless I'm missing something.
    I was just under the impression that the laws were similar from county to county for county property
    Last edited by bomber; 03-21-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Well, Denver just plain lives in its own little happy world. (Kind of like Boulder, but that's another topic.)

Counties (except Denver) cannot ban outright, they are preempted by state law. However, each Library District is also its own agency. They must still follow State preemption re concealed but several have chosen to post "no weapons" or "no open carry" signs on their doors. Salida regional and the Front Range branch of Westminster Library both come to mind.

So, libraries can prohibit open carry by posting on the entrance (or by being in Denver). Not even Denver can prohibit concealed if you have a valid permit.

Yes, legal in Jeffco libraries unless posted on the door. Belmar library does not post.

Yes, legal in Jeffco libraries unless posted on the door. Belmar library does not post.
    Do they not have to have an ordinance to go along with the signs?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    Do they not have to have an ordinance to go along with the signs?
    Yes, and there is one.

C.R.S. 29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.
    A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

And a Library District is its own jurisdiction on this issue, it doesn't have to follow the city or county policy and may enforce its own. It is treated as a local government and after all it does have its own taxing for within its district.

But it does still have to put up signage. (Unless its in Denver) Signage may or may not include a reference to the above mentioned statute.

Yes, and there is one.

C.R.S. 29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.
    A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

And a Library District is its own jurisdiction on this issue, it doesn't have to follow the city or county policy and may enforce its own. It is treated as a local government and after all it does have its own taxing for within its district.

But it does still have to put up signage. (Unless its in Denver) Signage may or may not include a reference to the above mentioned statute.
    So, they do have to have a written regulation that allows them to put up the signs? I just want to be clear that they have to make a regulation and not just slap up a sign.

From what I have found, all the library needs is a "policy." Since they are not an actual government authority they can't make laws, ordinances or even really regulations, but they are treated as a local government for this, so...

Kind of like an executive order is not a law but is still enforced as if it were a law...?

This is the kind of ugly patchwork that the '03 law was supposed to get rid of, but the government is good at finding 'loopholes' for itself.
    Last edited by JamesB; 03-22-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling