• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rewrite the Second Ammendment

Zed Snardbody

200+ years after the fact the nation continues to battle with people that would see fit to deny a right specifically enshrined in one of our nations founding documents. Thankfully recent SCOTUS have found in favor the idea that self defense is indeed a right of the individual.

Just for fun though, how would you compose the second amendment to avoid this issue back in the day?

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

My idea:

"An armed and responsible citizenry being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the individual to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Perhaps even add a "3rd" Amendment:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable aggression shall not be infringed nor the right to one's reasonable defense and protection of the same."

bushwacker

Well I think it could have been broken down a bit for clarity, something kinda like this
AMENDMENT II section.a. The riight to get yo gun and blast/shoot anybody that tries to regulate it and all devices pretaining to it ...i.e. ammo, stocks, tools, cleaners, attachments, upgrades shall not be infringed and secure in the people.
section .b.
A well regulated malitia being necessary for the security of a free state within but not exceeding interrior, borders or coastlines water way extentions thereof.
the problem I see with the way it is today ,by not breaking it down in sections gave openings for all of the infringements of today by the govt and regulataory agencies to grasp and push the thought of the 2a made only for well regulated malitia and not for the common citizen. how many times have you heard that? thank god that there is thinkers like the folks on this site that knows better. Just by the first three words that is in big letters in the heading of what the rights are all about .WE THE PEOPLE. ok .....next......

Last edited:

WhatTimeIsIt?

If given an honest read, I don't find the second amendment very confusing. The intent is clear. Nor do I think it would be possible to word it in a way that could possibly avoid all confusion without it being excessively long. If you try, you can twist almost anything. Look at how SCOTUS twisted the "privileges and immunities clause" in the 14th amendment to make it nearly meaningless. Later, they had to twist the "due process clause" to cover what was intended in the first passage when they started to apply the Bill of Rights to the States.
What I would have wanted changed in the Constitution would have been the "general welfare" and "necessary and proper" clauses.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
This is better I think........ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State & for the security & self defense of it's citizens, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms either openly or concealed on their persons, in their homes or where ever they may wish to bear arms shall not be infringed,nor shall any body of government have the authority to legislate what type of arms a citizen may own or possess, nor shall this right be amended by any body of the Government at any time in the present or future.

This covers all the bases :)

Last edited:

1245A Defender

and,,,,

This is better I think........ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State & for the security & self defense of it's citizens, the right of the people of all of the several states to keep and bear Arms either openly or concealed on their persons, in their homes, vehicles or where ever they may wish to bear arms shall not be infringed,nor shall any body of any government have the authority to legislate what type of arms a citizen may own or possess, nor shall this right be amended by any body of any Government at any time in the present or future.

a few bolded additions for your consideration.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
This is better I think........ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State & for the security & self defense of it's citizens, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms either openly or concealed on their persons, in their homes or where ever they may wish to bear arms shall not be infringed,nor shall any body of government have the authority to legislate what type of arms a citizen may own or possess, nor shall this right be amended by any body of the Government at any time in the present or future.

+1

Now, we just have to give it teeth. How about something like:

There being no legitimate purpose for infringing these rights, any government employee, contractor, consultant, advisor, or retiree, whether elected, appointed, hired, or gratis, who proposes, advocates, or conspires to introduce or execute a resolution, regulation, order, or law infringing these rights in any way shall be guilty of a felony and immediately lose all capacity, including loss of all government emoluments, and be barred for life from further government service. Any other cognizant government employee, elected or appointed, who does not act immediately to remove the offender from office, or prosecute the same, shall be guilty of conspiracy, and shall receive the same penalty. Individual citizens so victimized by government shall receive actual and punitive damages, but not less than the current market value of 20 ounces of gold from the offender personally. A second offense shall result in loss of citizenship and deportation.

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
+1

There being no legitimate purpose for infringing these rights, any government employee, contractor, consultant, advisor, or retiree, whether elected, appointed, hired, or gratis, who proposes, advocates, or conspires to introduce or execute a resolution, regulation, order, or law infringing these rights in any way shall be guilty of a felony and immediately lose all capacity, including loss of all government emoluments, and be barred for life from further government service. Any other cognizant government employee, elected or appointed, who does not act immediately to remove the offender from office, or prosecute the same, shall be guilty of conspiracy, and shall receive the same penalty. Individual citizens so victimized by government shall receive actual and punitive damages, but not less than the current market value of 20 ounces of gold from the offender personally. A second offense shall result in loss of citizenship and deportation.

+1 now we just have to get the 2A Amended :)

frommycolddeadhands

+1

+100. Best idea I've seen all day.

bushwacker

yeah I like ya'lls better except for the loss of citizenship and deportation ...if they were born here then where would you deport them , after all it was the devine design of the creator to have them birthed here so it's not our place to kick out those here by birth,unless you have mastership over the creator, (and I would really wanna see that jurisdiction at forehand) so maybe we could keep with the bases of the constitution ..(christian values ) and word it something like shall result in hanging in the public square for the viewing of all, after all the creator did design them with a neck and that's just prefect for swinging their sorry ass.
Thats right hang them high , gas their ass or give them the shocking shuffle, something ,
anything, except deportation after all deporataion hasn't worked the in the past.
They can easily slip back in thru mexico....right?

Last edited:

END_THE_FED

The key is to educate people on what it actually says, and to be ever vigilant that it is not misinterpreted.

It doesn't matter how clear we make the text (it is already pretty damn clear) there will always be those who attempt to spread lies and mis-information to support and expand there own agenda. When that mis-information sets in, it spreads like a cancer.