Thread: Rewrite the Second Ammendment

Rewrite the Second Ammendment

200+ years after the fact the nation continues to battle with people that would see fit to deny a right specifically enshrined in one of our nations founding documents. Thankfully recent SCOTUS have found in favor the idea that self defense is indeed a right of the individual.

Just for fun though, how would you compose the second amendment to avoid this issue back in the day?

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

My idea:

"An armed and responsible citizenry being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the individual to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Perhaps even add a "3rd" Amendment:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable aggression shall not be infringed nor the right to one's reasonable defense and protection of the same."

Yes yes, I'm aware of the actual third. I meant turn the Third into a follow on, bumping everything up to 11. Anyway....

Well I think it could have been broken down a bit for clarity, something kinda like this
    AMENDMENT II section.a. The riight to get yo gun and blast/shoot anybody that tries to regulate it and all devices pretaining to it ...i.e. ammo, stocks, tools, cleaners, attachments, upgrades shall not be infringed and secure in the people.
    section .b.
    A well regulated malitia being necessary for the security of a free state within but not exceeding interrior, borders or coastlines water way extentions thereof.
    the problem I see with the way it is today ,by not breaking it down in sections gave openings for all of the infringements of today by the govt and regulataory agencies to grasp and push the thought of the 2a made only for well regulated malitia and not for the common citizen. how many times have you heard that? thank god that there is thinkers like the folks on this site that knows better. Just by the first three words that is in big letters in the heading of what the rights are all about .WE THE PEOPLE. ok .....next......
    Last edited by bushwacker; 03-18-2011 at 10:10 PM.

If given an honest read, I don't find the second amendment very confusing. The intent is clear. Nor do I think it would be possible to word it in a way that could possibly avoid all confusion without it being excessively long. If you try, you can twist almost anything. Look at how SCOTUS twisted the "privileges and immunities clause" in the 14th amendment to make it nearly meaningless. Later, they had to twist the "due process clause" to cover what was intended in the first passage when they started to apply the Bill of Rights to the States.
    What I would have wanted changed in the Constitution would have been the "general welfare" and "necessary and proper" clauses.

This is better I think........ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State & for the security & self defense of it's citizens, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms either openly or concealed on their persons, in their homes or where ever they may wish to bear arms shall not be infringed,nor shall any body of government have the authority to legislate what type of arms a citizen may own or possess, nor shall this right be amended by any body of the Government at any time in the present or future.

This covers all the bases
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 03-19-2011 at 02:41 AM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

and,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    This is better I think........ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State & for the security & self defense of it's citizens, the right of the people of all of the several states to keep and bear Arms either openly or concealed on their persons, in their homes, vehicles or where ever they may wish to bear arms shall not be infringed,nor shall any body of any government have the authority to legislate what type of arms a citizen may own or possess, nor shall this right be amended by any body of any Government at any time in the present or future.

a few bolded additions for your consideration.
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 03-19-2011 at 02:56 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    This is better I think........ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State & for the security & self defense of it's citizens, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms either openly or concealed on their persons, in their homes or where ever they may wish to bear arms shall not be infringed,nor shall any body of government have the authority to legislate what type of arms a citizen may own or possess, nor shall this right be amended by any body of the Government at any time in the present or future.

+1

Now, we just have to give it teeth. How about something like:

There being no legitimate purpose for infringing these rights, any government employee, contractor, consultant, advisor, or retiree, whether elected, appointed, hired, or gratis, who proposes, advocates, or conspires to introduce or execute a resolution, regulation, order, or law infringing these rights in any way shall be guilty of a felony and immediately lose all capacity, including loss of all government emoluments, and be barred for life from further government service. Any other cognizant government employee, elected or appointed, who does not act immediately to remove the offender from office, or prosecute the same, shall be guilty of conspiracy, and shall receive the same penalty. Individual citizens so victimized by government shall receive actual and punitive damages, but not less than the current market value of 20 ounces of gold from the offender personally. A second offense shall result in loss of citizenship and deportation.
    Last edited by Citizen; 03-19-2011 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    +1

There being no legitimate purpose for infringing these rights, any government employee, contractor, consultant, advisor, or retiree, whether elected, appointed, hired, or gratis, who proposes, advocates, or conspires to introduce or execute a resolution, regulation, order, or law infringing these rights in any way shall be guilty of a felony and immediately lose all capacity, including loss of all government emoluments, and be barred for life from further government service. Any other cognizant government employee, elected or appointed, who does not act immediately to remove the offender from office, or prosecute the same, shall be guilty of conspiracy, and shall receive the same penalty. Individual citizens so victimized by government shall receive actual and punitive damages, but not less than the current market value of 20 ounces of gold from the offender personally. A second offense shall result in loss of citizenship and deportation.
    +1 now we just have to get the 2A Amended
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    +1

+100. Best idea I've seen all day.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

yeah I like ya'lls better except for the loss of citizenship and deportation ...if they were born here then where would you deport them , after all it was the devine design of the creator to have them birthed here so it's not our place to kick out those here by birth,unless you have mastership over the creator, (and I would really wanna see that jurisdiction at forehand) so maybe we could keep with the bases of the constitution ..(christian values ) and word it something like shall result in hanging in the public square for the viewing of all, after all the creator did design them with a neck and that's just prefect for swinging their sorry ass.
    Thats right hang them high , gas their ass or give them the shocking shuffle, something ,
    anything, except deportation after all deporataion hasn't worked the in the past.
    They can easily slip back in thru mexico....right?
    Last edited by bushwacker; 03-19-2011 at 01:28 PM.
    Our ancesters, veterens, and people of the service gave and are giving their time and sacrifice to preserve and defend our rights . it''s up to us the people to show appreciation by not sacrificing but investing time to exercise and preserve those rights.......the bushwacker...

The right of a citizen of this country to keep and bear arms is inviolable.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

The key is to educate people on what it actually says, and to be ever vigilant that it is not misinterpreted.

It doesn't matter how clear we make the text (it is already pretty damn clear) there will always be those who attempt to spread lies and mis-information to support and expand there own agenda. When that mis-information sets in, it spreads like a cancer.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Well there is one minor detail that might make this an impossible feat. According to several of the Founding Fathers, the Bill of Rights is unamendable. In other words, it is cast in stone.

I side with them.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Arms: any kind, anybody, anywhere.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.