• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield XD-M compact question

Badger Johnson

A question for those who own an XD-M compact semi-auto Springfield HG.

Just got an XD-M Compact and am puzzled by two items in the case. The manual did not explain.

First, there is a 13 rd mag and a 19 rd mag with the x-tension plus two additional x-tensions. I -assume- the x-tension fits on a typical 13 rd mag, by removing the existing floor plate and adding it, but I don't see how - there are no rails for the floor plate to slip into once you 'install' the x-tension.

Next there are two additional backstraps which look identical to the one on the gun. What are these for.

Sorry to seem so clueless and TIA.

Last edited:

hobie16

Hey good choice I am purchasing an xdm c when I get my permit.. the xdm comes w three backstraps small med large. And three different size xtensions that coincide with backstraps I do not how they attach as I don't have one yet. Check out xdtalk.com forum for tons of info

Badger Johnson

Yeah, thanks. I looked around in xdtalk forum and haven't stumbled upon an explanations. A friend bought me the gun at a gun show so I didn't get to ask many questions. The guy selling it thought it was a sub-compact and said the mag extension was only 15 but it's 19+1/13+1 so he was probably not the one to ask.

Maybe there's a youtube on it.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

OK, figured it out (duh).

The two x-tensions fit over TOP of the 19 round mag and slide down it, making up for the gap at the bottom of the mag with the x-tension as a fitted piece. It does NOT fit onto the bottom of the 13 rd mag as a +6 extension. So when you get your HG, go to the Springfield site (or somewhere that sells mags) and buy TWO (2) 19 rd mags, then go home and put the extensions on it and push them down to the bottom.

Now for many people EDC with 13+1 would be good especially with CC, but you might as well get two 19rd mags while you can since they supply two x-tensions in the gun case, along with the mag holders, backstrap sizes (sm and lg; med on the gun), the loader and the allen wrench, brush and lock.

Aknazer

I have an XDm-40 (not a compact, but it is the 3.8" barrel) and really like it so far. As for your question about the xtension, on my wife's sub-compact it's just a rubber stopper that goes on a longer clip. I don't have it on me atm (I'm staying on base and can't keep it in my room atm), but at the store the clerk was able to remove the "xtension" and basically the clip just stuck out under the grip. The extension just made it flush with the gun and gave me somewhere to put my pinky (my wife's hands are small enough to not need it).

Without seeing you're extensions I can't say if yours is like my wife's (though I don't know why they would make different types), but if it is then you simply have to get the larger clip and slide the rubber piece over the top and down to the floor plate. Bigger clips might take two extensions to make fully flush.

Edit: I guess you figured it out while I was watching tv and typing.

Last edited:

Badger Johnson

Yes, but thanks for your trouble and the posting. To be clear it's not really 'rubber' but a hard plastic sleeve. I'd have never figured it out on my own, because it is not at all obvious it's just a friction fit slid down over the larger mag (I was looking for a release, heh).

Badger Johnson

Update:

Just realized that the supplied x-tension hard plastic sleeves go with the small and large backstrap, so if you're running with the medium backstrap you need the full 19 mag with the medium sleeve. In essence the two additional sleeves are useless if you're using the medium backstrap.

Here's what you order for the default installed medium backstrap:
http://www.springfield-armory.com/s...e=product_info&cPath=46_55_70&products_id=598

HTH

Badger Johnson

Made another discovery. When I got the XD at the gun show, the guy said it was the sub-compact and the highest cap. mag was the 16 with the extension. The sub-compact has a 3" barrel and retails for somewhere around $600.

The dealer insisted this was the sub-compact and sold it to me for $579, but when I got it home the barrel marking was 'Compact' 3.8 and the 19 rd mag fit it. So due to his error I got a $697 retail gun for $120 off. Oddly the paperwork inside the case was for the sub-compact.

Woo-hoo. :banana: