• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Really disturbing..Dave Workmans article WSP asking for info on AR-15 sales

DEROS72

WSP jars gun dealers, sets off firestorm, ATF ‘not consulted’

A detective with the Washington State Patrol ignited a firestorm yesterday when licensed gundealers across the Evergreen State received a letter asking for documents listing sales of any AR15 rifle over the past nine months, along with the names and personal information of people who bought those guns.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...-dealers-sets-off-firestorm-atf-not-consulted

Bobarino

They want info on all AR sales, and lowers, for the last 9 months to supposedly track down ONE missing/stolen AR? Ya right. There's a foul stench in the state of Patrol. For some reason, I have my doubts that they came up with this hair brained scheme on their own. I want to know who ordered it.

amzbrady

I dont know what is worse the fact they mailed the letter, or the fact they felt comfortable enough knowing the law and they still went ahead and mailed the letter with out fear of prosecution.

therealcombat

I think I'll ask a few dealers in the area if they got the letter, and if they responded. I'll post back with the results.

joeroket

I sure thought higher of the WSP before this stunt. I hope this was a rogue act of stupidity and not reflective of the general attitude of those in charge.:banghead:

I think your second sentence is probably the answer. I don't think there is any way in hell Batiste would have allowed this if he had been consulted first.

therealcombat

So i made it down to Gators Guns in Kelso today and started a little discussion on this. I asked them if they received the request, and if they had responded yet. Yes, they received the request but hadn't responded yet (but were planning to). I reminded them that such requests had to be searching for specific information, not like what was asked. They agreed with me and said they'd call ATF to check whether they really needed to respond to it.

Only made it to one gun shop before someone called, needing a favor. :( Anyone else talked to any gun shop owners about this?

DevinWKuska

WHo cares who ordered this crap! Its illegal as hell! Someone needs to get the thier arses down to WSP office and shred those documents. SOunds more like a hit list then investigative one... Can I file a complaint somewhere?

Lammo

WHo cares who ordered this crap! Its illegal as hell! Someone needs to get the thier arses down to WSP office and shred those documents. SOunds more like a hit list then investigative one... Can I file a complaint somewhere?

Attorney General comes to mind. Other options might be Thurston County Sheriff (the county Olympia is in) and/or BATFE.

Marty Hayes

The Firearms Academy of Seattle, being an FFL holder, recieved it's letter. It is phrased as a request, not a command.

sirpuma

Like DOL isn't already sharing all that information.:eek:

DOL could only share info on handgun sales. Long guns aren't recorded for the state and receivers aren't recorded unless it is a pistol/revolver receiver/frame (ie a stripped 1911 or J frame.)

I got the letter and was at first going to comply till I read Dave's article and realized that I didn't need to respond to this request from WSP. I don't know everything and the longer I'm in this business the more I learn.

Gunslinger

WSP jars gun dealers, sets off firestorm, ATF ‘not consulted’

A detective with the Washington State Patrol ignited a firestorm yesterday when licensed gundealers across the Evergreen State received a letter asking for documents listing sales of any AR15 rifle over the past nine months, along with the names and personal information of people who bought those guns.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...-dealers-sets-off-firestorm-atf-not-consulted

Needs a subpoena duces tecum for each individual dealer to get this information. Would have to show cause before a judge, and broadbrush doesn't cut it.

Jeff Hayes

I would like to know which FFLs did supply the info, I would make sure I never purchased anything there again and would encourage everyone I know not to spend another dime with them again. Of course I feel that way about any business that would give Law Enforcement my personal info without a warrent.

1911er

I would like to know which FFLs did supply the info, I would make sure I never purchased anything there again and would encourage everyone I know not to spend another dime with them again. Of course I feel that way about any business that would give Law Enforcement my personal info without a warrent.

You are absolutely correct on that matter do you know any way we can find out a list of all the company's that sent that info in on request or is that protected under some bogus new law.

Sparky508

You are absolutely correct on that matter do you know any way we can find out a list of all the company's that sent that info in on request or is that protected under some bogus new law.

would this be a matter of public record after the WSP was done with it?

If so that is some scary **** right there.

amlevin

would this be a matter of public record after the WSP was done with it?

If so that is some scary **** right there.

Should be. Not one of the exemptions I read in RCW. They'll probably claim confidentiality and force one to go to court to get this info released. Newspapers and Broadcast Media has to do this all the time.

Maybe someone should get a Newspaper or TV Station on this "Story".

BTW, Police Agencies, most notably the FBI, got their "mammary glands in a wringer" over this kind of record collection several years ago. Courts made them destroy their files.

Last edited: