• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3 choices, American Classic 1911, Taurus 24/7 OSS, or Rock Island 1911?

Pyro01

So, I was in the market for a reliable 1911 for around $375-$450, and from what I've hear, Rock Island Armory makes a 1911A2 for about $470 from Bud's Guns, and American Classic II & Commander 1911'sare one of the others that is supposed to be even better than the Rock Island Armory's for about the same price depending on who you buy it from. Then when I was visiting a gun shop, the owner(who was the one who told me about the American Classics) pulled out this Taurus 24/7 OSS in 9mm. They make a 45 ACP version for about the average price between $330-400. It holds more rounds than an American Classic 1911 and 2 rounds less than the Rock Island 1911A2, can be fired in single or double action, comes with a lifetime warranty, 2 magazines, and it also has a picatinny rail. The stainless version with black grips would cost me around $400. I planned on making this my open and concealed carry gun until more money permits me to buy another gun. I really wasn't looking for any other type of gun except a 1911, but this Taurus has me wondering what I should get now. What do you guys think?

j4l

RIA for the 1911..
I have the 845, instead of the 24/7, but I love it so far. All the features of a 1911,plus 5 mote rounds, lighter in weight for the same size, and all the same controls..-minus the grip safety.

Pyro01

Well, I bought a 24/7 OSS in 45 ACP with a black frame and SS slide. This is my first time I ever bought a gun online, I hope it goes smoothly. In the end, it was the price I was able to find this at which is what drove me to it. It was cheaper than what I had my budget set at and I'm just fine with that, it also was the only thing my wife thought we'd be able to afford. I'd like to get something a little nicer someday, but for now this will do. I can't wait!! This is going to be my new OC gun, and when Constitutional Carry goes live in WI, this will also be my concealed carry gun. I guess one way to look at it is I got something to do the job, and I can still save up for a really nice 1911 someday. =D

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Well, I bought a 24/7 OSS in 45 ACP with a black frame and SS slide. This is my first time I ever bought a gun online, I hope it goes smoothly. In the end, it was the price I was able to find this at which is what drove me to it. It was cheaper than what I had my budget set at and I'm just fine with that, it also was the only thing my wife thought we'd be able to afford. I'd like to get something a little nicer someday, but for now this will do. I can't wait!! This is going to be my new OC gun, and when Constitutional Carry goes live in WI, this will also be my concealed carry gun. I guess one way to look at it is I got something to do the job, and I can still save up for a really nice 1911 someday. =D

The only thing about a $500 that makes it not "really nice" as far as carry guns go is that you'll want to run two or three hundred rounds through it to make sure it functions OK.

Otherwise, I consider a $400-800 1911 ideal for a carry gun. I honestly can't see sticking an Ed Brown in a holster. Or a Wilson Combat, "combat" in the name notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

No matter what firearm you buy, you need to run 200-300 rounds through it to verify it's functionality. For that matter I've heard of many a 1911 that needed upwards of 1000 rounds before they began to function reliably. Some manufacturers are of the belief that the closer the tolerances they better, I'm of the belief that tolerances should be no closer than are needed for the firearm to function. Remember the old saying; "the first thing you do after buying a Colt 1911 is take it to a gunsmith to make it work?"

I personally like the 24/7 design, especially the DS's. You only need about 1/8" take up on the trigger and you can fire another round. You can have a lot of fun and put a lot of rounds down range real fast with those.

t33j

The 1911 is not the platform to skimp on. The likelihood of poor results is high for those who try.

j4l

Yeah, I've yet to see a pt1911 retail for under $650-$700...

The RIA's are fantastic as they are- esp. in their govt'/mil-spec. models, and will do what they are supposed to just fine-as is. But they also make for a great base-platform upon which to gradually build up a very nice, custom 1911 over time, with aftermarket bits..

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I would never pay $700 for a PT-1911! WTF?

Where are you getting $400-$500 PT-1911s? Are we talking used now? Never met a RIA owner who wasn't looking for something better.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/17285-55.html

$400 was for the RIA. $500 was for the PT-1911. Granted, both of those guns cost <$50 more than that.

How many RIA owners have you met? Ever spend much time on the M1911.org forums? There are a ton of RIA owners who just keep buying more RIAs.

They have a whole slew of different sub-models, from officers to a 6" match model. And they build them quite to-spec these days, so they are an excellent platform to build on.

Really, the only thing that comes close to a complaint is that the parkerizing they used was fairly thin, although apparently they use something better now. Anyway I could have any of the best finishes done and still be at less than the balance of a $700 (wtf?) PT-1911, or some junk Kimber. :p

I'm not saying it's the best 1911 around, but I am saying it's a damn good gun for the money, I'm every bit as happy as I am with my slightly more expensive XD, and I'm really not "looking" for something better. I mean, sure, I'd like an Ed Brown or a even Springfield Operator, but I'm much more likely to drop another $450-500 on a nickel RIA with black controls (an inverse of my current build) than I am to drop near $1000 on a 1911.

Last edited:

Pyro01

Yeah, I agree, I've heard lots of good things about Rock Island Armory guns and look forward to owning one some day. I'll probably end up getting an xD someday as well, but for now I'm plenty happy with the gun I got coming.

t33j

How met RIA owners have you met? Ever spend much time on the M1911.org forums?

Four that I know of... two just want to upgrade while the other two expressed concerns about reliability. I ran into a FTE myself when firing one of the RIAs.

I'd probably buy a PT-1911 for $550 but I don't really have a use for it at the moment.

I mean, sure, I'd like an Ed Brown
Who wouldn't! :shocker:

j4l

Lot of RIA owners w/ the feed issues usually go get the WC 8-round mags, and that clears it up most of the time.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Lot of RIA owners w/ the feed issues usually go get the WC 8-round mags, and that clears it up most of the time.

I would advise Checkmate hybrid or GI mags over WC mags (or any other mags which willfully ignore the controlled feed principle).

But, whatever works. The Novak's mags which come with the RIA (same as Wolff mags) are great in your hand, but the wadcutter feed lip profile makes them unreliable.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Based on your possible options, I would get the RIA 1911. I have two RIA 1911s and they are great guns. I have put hundreds of rounds through each with no issues. If it's going to be your first 1911, get it and if you like it look for more expensive, higher quality 1911s later on.

j4l

Or just use the frame/slide as a base to build one up to your preferences and specs- sights, barrel, grips, controls, etc. The frame/slides on these are fine as they are, unless you somehow require a Plutonium slide with hot pink racing stripes or something..

garnetrooster

Just a newbie but

I have had a Kimber CDP Pro for 2 yrs and just bought a 24/7 PRO.
I love both and have had no problems with either.Both in 45 and even with 12+ with the 24/7 and 7+ in the CDP, not much difference in weight feel when carrying.
Take your pick, either or will work, at least in my world....:lol:

Pyro01

Well, since you were all kind enough to contribute to this thread, I'll give you all a range report of my Taurus 24/7 OSS in Stainless Steel. The case it came in was very nice and all form-fitted, it came with a wire brush, 2 magazines, 2 keys for the built-in lock, and a magazine speedloader. I'll add a picture later, but I cleaned out all the packing grease and then oiled it up. It's very easy to disassemble and re-assemble, and so cleaning was a breeze.

I took it out to the range with 100 rounds of Tula 45 ACP FMJ. The magazine speedloader made it easy and quick, but it gave me a few issues if i didn't seat the rounds just right. Something I will have to be very careful of when I load it up for open carrying. Luckily I was able to get used to loading them as well as telling if the mag would give me feed issues. This isn't a fault of the weapon, just me learning how to properly seat bullets in the magazine. The range at which all of these were shot was 15 yards. My gun also holds 12+1 rounds. Now for some pictures!

This is my first set, the first clip I emptied at the heart, and it was a little erratic as I learned how to properly adjust my grip to the gun.

web.jpg

The Second set I took aim at the head, my windage was dialed in but now I had to get used to the elevation difference from point of aim.

web.jpg

This picture shows the first two mags I shot, there are some flyers, but that's why practicing is good!

web.jpg

I then taped up all the holes and made sure I took a picture for each mag I put downrange after this. This next picture is another set of center of mass shots. The flyer on the paper was a previous hole I didn't tape up.

web.jpg

Next, I took aim at the head again, and with much better results than the first time around.

web.jpg

This next little set only had 7 bullets in the magazine. I took aim at the left shoulder just because I didn't feel like putting up another target and was running out of bullets.

web.jpg

This last set only had 6 bullets in the magazine. I took aim at the right shoulder

web.jpg

All in all, I thought the gun shot very well. I think more practice at different ranges and familiarizing myself with how the gun shoots will improve my performance. The one thing that made me smile the most is it ate Russian-made ammunition, and if it likes the steel casing stuff, I'm looking forward to shooting some nice ammunition out of it as well.