• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3 choices, American Classic 1911, Taurus 24/7 OSS, or Rock Island 1911?

Lavon

Awesome! I've put 500+ through my 24/7 OSS DS .45 and love it. It's my CC and OC choice for now. A little heavy but not bad. Can't wait to get back to the range.

Here a couple photos of my last trip. 10 yards I believe...about 5 weeks ago. I usually practice muscle memory at 10 yards...

cf2e9808.jpg

Last clip of the day, concentrating on dead center...

0f738709.jpg

Lavon

Pyro01...Don't you like how the .45 kinda tears a hole?

Last time I shot with family, I had the chance to shoot several handguns...they all made nice little clean holes like a hole-punch...except the .45's!:banana:

Trigger Dr

Where are you getting $400-$500 PT-1911s? Are we talking used now? Never met a RIA owner who wasn't looking for something better.

You obviously have not met very many RIA owners.
RIA 38 super first mag right out of the box. field stripped, cleaned lubed and shot. The Rocks like to be run a bit on the wet side. Not dripping, but well lubed.
013.jpg

Last edited:

rmansu2

How about the new RUGER SR1911. Stainless slide, barrell and frame, skeletonized hammer and trigger, and Novak Sights. Plus it's all made in the United States of America.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
The only thing about a $500 that makes it not "really nice" as far as carry guns go is that you'll want to run two or three hundred rounds through it to make sure it functions OK.

Otherwise, I consider a $400-800 1911 ideal for a carry gun. I honestly can't see sticking an Ed Brown in a holster. Or a Wilson Combat, "combat" in the name notwithstanding.

My EDC pistol is a Wilson CQB Elite. The only reason I can see for spending that much money on a gun is to get one that is extremely accurate and 100% reliable and those things don't matter if you're not betting your life on it. I understand that for some people the Wilson is just out of reach no matter how much you want it, but it really as good as it gets for a fighting M1911. I have holster wear and scuffs/scrapes on my Wilson and I don't care. A gun that has to be babied is a paperweight as far as I'm concerned.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Based on your possible options, I would get the RIA 1911. I have two RIA 1911s and they are great guns. I have put hundreds of rounds through each with no issues. If it's going to be your first 1911, get it and if you like it look for more expensive, higher quality 1911s later on.

The RIAs come highly recommended by people who have used them. You can live without all the "bells and whistles" provided your pistol is utterly reliable. RIA owners tell me that they are. I like my Novak sights, speed chute magazine well, etc., but those are irrelevant if the pistol doesn't go "bang" every time you squeeze the trigger.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Who made the first 1911 that was issued to the cav?

Springfield or Colt?

I believe they were made by Colt but I'm not 100% certain. In fact, I'm not sure Springfield Armory (the government arsenal, not the current commercial company by the same name) ever built M1911s although Rock Island Arsenal did. During WWII, they were contracted out to several companies including the Singer sewing machine company oddly enough.