Thread: Snail Mail letter writing campaign to urge the NRA to help battle CADL attack!

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Exclamation Snail Mail letter writing campaign to urge the NRA to help battle CADL attack!

I am told that emails and calls by NRA members are often over looked by the senior management of the NRA; however when they get hundreds or thousands of letters on a subject that gets their attention in a hurry! I urge all NRA members here (I suspect most of you are like myself) to send a letter ASAP! I have included a form letter template that has been posted here below.

Address :
    National Rifle Association
    Attention: NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox
    11250 Waples Mill Road
    Fairfax, VA 22030
    ================================================== =============

Dear Leadership of <Insert the name of your rights group here>,

I am writing you to inform you about recent events threatening firearms rights in Michigan. As you may know, Michigan law preempts firearms regulations by local government. Recently, the Capitol Area District Library in the Lansing area banned firearms possession in its facilities claiming the Library can do so because it is an “authority” and not a local government.

A judge in the 30th Circuit Court for Ingham County, Michigan has issued a Preliminary Injunction authorizing the Library's gun ban and enjoining ALL MEMBERS OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC from openly carrying a holstered firearm in this public library, subject to the court's contempt powers. The Library's director has stated under oath that his goal is to BAN all firearms from the Library (open and concealed carry). The Library is also asking the judge to declare all public libraries as K-12 schools so that under Michigan and federal law they will become gun free zones.

This Court case has chilling implications for the Right to Keep and Bear arms in Michigan. Preemption could collapse as cities around the State create authorities that can ban firearms (Sidewalk Authorities, Park Authorities, City Building Authorities, Downtown Development Authorities, etc.). All public libraries in Michigan could become weapon-free school zones if the Court sides with the Library.

The case is still in the Circuit Court and the discovery process under way through early June 2011. I feel it is likely the case will not be resolved in the Circuit Court as the judge has made her feelings about the issue well known. Legal costs are mounting and may soon become very large. As a member of this organization I IMPLORE you to support Michigan Open Carry, Inc. and the others who have joined the fight to protect our Liberties!

To find out how <insert the Organization's name> can help, please contact the lead attorneys on the case:
    DEAN G. GREENBLATT, PLC
    4190 Telegraph Road
    Suite 3500
    P.O.Box 40
    Bloomfield Hills, MI 48303
    (248) 644-7520

STUART J. WEISS
    6646 Tamerlane Dr.
    West Bloomfield, MI 48322
    (248) 390-8850

Most urgently, in the name of Liberty,

<Your Name>
    <Your Identification Number within the organization>
    ================================================== ==========

Good call.

And a good cause. Less than a buck to get this resolved. I sent my email, now I'll be sending one via snail mail too.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by malignity View Post
    Good call.

And a good cause. Less than a buck to get this resolved. I sent my email, now I'll be sending one via snail mail too.
    GOOD MAN Mal,

Thanks for your support.

- G9OS

Banned
    Maybe you're right, but I've gotten to the point with the NRA that I dont even open the envelopes anymore. Theres a trash can installed next to our mailbox for the junk mail, so things like that never even make it to the car. Perhaps you could add that to the letter?

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Maybe you're right, but I've gotten to the point with the NRA that I dont even open the envelopes anymore. Theres a trash can installed next to our mailbox for the junk mail, so things like that never even make it to the car. Perhaps you could add that to the letter?
    I understand your frustration: but as with many things in life if you don't ask how can you expect to get? A prime example: I never got a date that I didn't ask for. If my wife is reading this later I love you honey & my 1st date with you was my best "ask" to date.

- CYA brothers...CYA

Banned
    Why do girls got to be like that anyways? I never could approach one.

Wink

I think you just have to play the odds! The more you ask the better your chances

Think about it even if you only bat a 10% if you ask a hundred girls that's 10 dates!

Just my unsolicited two cents worth...just saying...
    Last edited by Get2DahChopper; 03-19-2011 at 12:12 PM.

On topic my letter will go out this afternoon. It's about time those SOB's started earning my dues!

Banned
    I'll send one too.

Cool

snail mail & email sent today
    "Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
    ,,, So Mote Be

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.-- JC

... gotten to the point with the NRA that I dont even open the envelopes anymore.
    Use those prepaid self addressed envelopes and tell the NRA what you think
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    I understand your frustration: but as with many things in life if you don't ask how can you expect to get? A prime example: I never got a date that I didn't ask for. If my wife is reading this later I love you honey & my 1st date with you was my best "ask" to date.

- CYA brothers...CYA
    WOW guys that's SAD! I on the other hand have no common point of reference
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Lansing is taking this from two angles then... I think there should be something in this letter about them helping us fight H.B. 4438 & 4439. Also I hope they are behind us and help any way they can with getting H.B. 4009 passed!

Thumbs up Letter outbound!

Sent mine today, every little bit helps, I hope? We must defeat CADL or face little micro dictatorships in every town in MI, and possibly the entire USA if this spreads like the herpes it is...sorry for visual -> YUCK

Thumbs up

Sent 2nd letter to MCRGO today maybe they'll help? If they still exist they take my dues but that's all I ever hear from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Get2DahChopper View Post
    Sent 2nd letter to MCRGO today maybe they'll help? If they still exist they take my dues but that's all I ever hear from them?
    That's about all they've been good for the last few years.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Banned
    Taking after the NRA I see.

Sorry to be so negative, but the NRA will not lift a finger to lend assistance in an open carry case. I would be surprised if they even responded with a "good luck" letter.

(I let my membership expire last year)

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kubel View Post
    Sorry to be so negative, but the NRA will not lift a finger to lend assistance in an open carry case. I would be surprised if they even responded with a "good luck" letter.

(I let my membership expire last year)
    They have responded and referred us to the Michigan NRA/ILA rep who happens to be Steve Dulan. So at this time it's in Steve's hands. They may get involved if it goes to appeals court.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    They have responded and referred us to the Michigan NRA/ILA rep who happens to be Steve Dulan. So at this time it's in Steve's hands. They may get involved if it goes to appeals court.
    That explains why Steve told me he was notified of the letter I wrote to the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund about the CADL case!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    That's good, because this is going to have to go to appeals. After reading this judges last nonsense it is clear that she is not going to rule based on law, but her personal feelings and beliefs instead, just like the ferndale judge.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    That's good, because this is going to have to go to appeals. After reading this judges last nonsense it is clear that she is not going to rule based on law, but her personal feelings and beliefs instead, just like the ferndale judge.
    From MOC, Incs attorney as posted on MGO...

"I spoke to someone at NRA-ILA this morning and was referred to Steve Dulan. I spoke to Steve this morning as well. Steve Dulan provides some legal assistance to MCRGO. He is also the representative for NRA-ILA in MI.

NRA will not be involved at a trial level, which is where we are right now, but NRA is likely to be involved at the appellate level, which is where this case will be going. That is NRA's usual pattern. We might be at the appellate level by fall.

MCRGO is likely to become more supportive in the litigation at the appellate level as well.

MCRGO is actively involved in seeking a legislative fix to the preemption issue. Dean and I have both spoken to Steve about this and the ideas about legislation from some MGO posts and from Dean and me are being heard. I want to recognize PDinDetroit - I have discussed some of his ideas with Steve and one or more of those concepts may well end up in a draft to be introduced in coming weeks.

It sends a very positive message to MCRGO, NRA, and the opposition that MGO will soon file a motion to intervene. That indicates a growth in and broader support for the litigation and a showing that this is about all gun rights and not open carry.

The key message that must be sustained is that this case is about gun control and the ability of governmental entities to do whatever they want when it comes to regulating guns, and not about open carry. As soon as this theme gets derailed and becomes only about OC, there will be problems in sustaining support.

As I and others have emphasized - patience and sustained contacts with the other orgs helps."
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Banned
    Thank you. Cant wait to see what the proposal looks like.

Exclamation

Thanks for the update Venator CADL may find that they have woken a slumbering hive of patriots.

The objective of all who oppose freedom in our country has & always will be to do away with the second amendment. With it gone, none of the rights guaranteed in the constitution can stand alone against these tyrants. God save us all if they ever achieve their goal!
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 03-31-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Thanks for the update Ven!